Artillery and ships?

Is possible to use self proppled artiller to shell positions or units?? or is only static and worth only as a target?? Same goes for the ships, is possible o use it for shell enemy units?? and how can I move the turkish tanks?? I added waypoints, but they seem to appear only as static, maybe short on fuel??

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I use tanks and artillery to shell all the time - don't use the static objects.

You change the Waypoint type from Turning Point to Attack Point and then a whole new choice opens up.

When Attack Target is selected, the TARGETING mode button is available. This allows you to designate specific targets to be attacked by the active Group. When the Group reaches the Attack waypoint, it will attack the assigned target(s). Youi can also target locations rather than objects.

You'll see all of this in the LO FC Quick Start Manual 1.1 in C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Eagle Dynamics\Lock On\Doc starting page 47

See pages 81+ for placing tanks

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

Can artillery also attack ships that arn't designated but just from them self

Doubt it but you can always try it out. Hit F7 and F8 to cycle through the objects.

ZoomBoy

My Flight Sims Page

- Link to My Blog - Sims and Things - DCS Stuff++

- Up-to-Speed Guides to the old Lockon A10A and Su-25T

- Some missions [needs update]

If you give them an attack waypoint, then artillery should attack enemy units (including ships) if they are in range.

If you have problems with your tanks / trucks moving, then remember that there are no amphibious units in Lockon, what I mean is they will not go over rivers unless they are ON-ROAD and use the bridge. Also remember that unless they are ON-ROAD, there are limits to how steep a hill they can climb / descend.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

depends on the artillery peice. you need to make sure they are pointing in the right direction. they dont all have a 360 turret

and there IS amphibious vehicles, however they are afraid of water or sumthin haha. , no really , they only work on land. pity ay.

Savage 77th Squadron 'S77th' http://www.s77th.com

The Lomac League, For Squadrons & Single Players http://www.LomacLeague.com

dantesig.gif

Dante is correct - certain artillery and rocket launcher units are sensitive to which way they are facing. If they are in range and still not firing then try altering the direction they are facing. Also something to consider is whether you have a number of artillery units in a Group or seperate and whether you have a number of targets in a Group or seperate- Lockon can be a bit odd about whether all units open fire at the first in a Group etc.

EXAMPLE

I set up a group of three SAU Beregs, targeted at a ship. Only one of them (1 of 3) fires on the ship.

If I add a 2nd ship target (a smaller ship so it will sink faster), then 2 Beregs fire, one at each ship. As soon as the smaller ship sinks, the 2nd Bereg (2 of 3) stops firing. Similar with 3 ships.

Then I changed it so that the Bereg's were each in their own group (1 of 1), and of course it takes longer using the Mission Editor to target each of these on the single ship target. Now they will all open fire on the ship.

With two ship targets, they all fire at the first ship till it sinks, then all swap their fire to the second ship.

As for ranges, this is all stuff that I scribbled over the last 3 years in my Lockon notebook, hence some in km, some in Nm, so apologies for that.

Smersh, Grad will fire a spill taking 40 secs / 20 secs respectively then will reload (about 15min?) before firing again.

Gvozdika - 6 rnds per min

Akatsia - 4 rnds per min

Msta - 8 rnds per min

Bereg - 10 rnds per min

Nona - 8 rnds per min

Max ranges Artillery/Rockets

Smersh 70km

Grad 20km

MLRS 31km

M109 15nm

SAU Berg 18.5nm

SAU Gvozdika 15nm

SAU Akatsia 15nm

SAU Msta 15nm

SAU Nona 5.5nm

Max ranges Naval artillery

Ticonderoga 14.5km

Perry 14.5km

Moscow 20km

Neustrashimy 21.5km

Rezky 21.5km

Albatros 6km

Molniya 15km

If you want some arty to bombard an area to add colour to a mission,

1) target a co-ord, so arty keep firing. If you target a building, once destroyed then the arty stops firing.

2) if your arty all in one group, then have same number of targets to ensure each arty in the group has a target to fire at.

3) if you mix the arty types (bereg, msta, nona, etc) then they fire at different rates and looks "prettier"

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi!

If I may add to the excellent info from B.R.D.:

________

Some units have a minimum distance (under which they wont shoot):

MLRS has a 5 km. min. (30 km max) and a reload time of 9 minutes

GRAD a 10 km min. and a reload time of 8 minutes

SMERCH has 20 km minimum dist. and a reload time of 15 minutes

I am not sure but I think that the BEREG has a 10 km min too?

(still need to try?)

________

Then, as mentionned by Dante and B.R.D. some units have angles limitations:

MLRS (I think some limitation but I havent experimented with it??)

SAU Nona : only 35° Left and right are possible

GRAD : only 120° Left and 60° right

BEREG : only 120° left and 120° right

SMERCH : only 30° left or right

The big winner is the SMERCH that can shoot 12 300mm rockets all the way to 70 km!!!

________

It is worth noting also that some ground units have various max road speed (as low as 48 km/h for a M60 Tank and as high as 100 km/h for a BRDM-2 APC) although most artys go for an average of 60 km/h max road speed.

As far as naval units goes: I always thought that the Perry did not fire artillery to ground targets ??? are you sure B.R.D.? And the same for Albatros and Rezky? did you get them to fire arty at ground targets?

Otherwise I have the same ranges.

On top of that, if you want to create interesting battles with tanks and APCs and IFVs, bear in mind that they all fire for sure, but APCs and IFVS have a limited range of 1000m and most tanks of 2.4 km (M60, M48) to 3 km (M1).

________

Then, some IFVs have a limited amount of small missiles on top of their guns and have a fange of either 3 km (M2 Bradley, 7 missiles, BMP-1, 6 missiles and BMD-1, 3 missiles) or 4 km (BMP-2, 5 missiles and BMP-3, 9 missiles).

JEFX

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Oups!

Sorry B.R.D...

I just made a quick experiment:

Albatros, Rezky and Perry all DO fire their artillery at ground targets...

They take a while before they start... I just had to be more patient...

It was a while back when I did those experiments...

They do have some turret angle limitations though : for example the Rezky will fire with both turrets located at the back, therefore if the targets are close to the front of the boat, they wont fire...

Unfortunatly, the ground units and ships dont have travelling AI routines to make them move into better firing positions...

It IS a flight sim after all...

We do get quite a lot of side bonuses...

JEFX

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More scribbles from the notebook to backup what JEFX said and add a little more

APC missiles

M2 3000m (7 shots)

BMD1 3000m (3 shots)

BMP1 3000m (6 shots)

BMP2 4000m (5 shots)

BMP3 4000m (9 shots)

AA against ground targets (old data, not sure how rigourously I tested this)

Shilka 1800m

Gepard 2900m

Vulcan 2800m

Avenger 1300m

Tunguska 1400m

A final thing to mention is that whilst artillery will fire whilst on the move, rockets (MLRS,Smersh,Grad) will not. Therefore you can have them drive up to a firing location (ie. an attack waypoint) but once they arrive, they stop there to fire and they won't start moving again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lefty,

I am not sure these info are up-to-date...

Some of my experiments date back to 1.1 or even 1.0 time... (gelological Lockon eras of course:) ...)

But anyhow, here is what I have:

name weapon number

M109 rockets 155 mm. 34

MLRS multiple rockets 12

SAU Nona mortar 120 mm 25

GRAD multiple rockets 40

SAU Msta shell 152 mm. 50

SAU Akatsia shell 152 mm. ?

SAU Gvozdika shell 122 mm. 40

SAU Bereg shell 130 mm. 48

SMERCH mult. rockets 300 mm 12

Or course, they do reload, (even if there is no loading truck 1000 km around). It takes a while for some (8 minutes for GRAD up to 15 minutes for SMERCH), and I have no idea for SAUs.

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys,I decided to make some new experiments tonight to complement the data accumulating here... I hope you mission-builders will find it informative. I think that, as B.R.D. pointed it, one of the reasons to know the rates of fire, number of this or that, is to mix up units in order to get less regularity and more variety in the firing patterns of opposing units.voilà:______________________________________Artillery supplementary data (experiments made June 11, 2007)by JEFXGROUND ARTILLERY-All ground artillery units shoot their maximum number of rounds in 2 bursts (one big one and one small one), separated by approx 1’30’’ of waiting time.-All of them take approx. 40 minutes to reload, ad infinitum.-All of the SAU family shoot approx. 8 rounds/min. while the M109 is roughly only one round/min.-All three multiple launchers have been discussed before.Here is the number of rounds for each artillery unit between reloads :SAU-Msta : 50 roundsSAU-Akatsia : 46 roundsSAU-Nona : 25 roundsSAU-Gvodzika : 70 roundsSAU-Bereg : 48 roundsM109 : 56 roundsSHIP ARTILLERY-All ship-based artillery units have the same behavior : they shoot a 41 rounds burst, wait for a variable number of seconds, (see below) and shoot 41 rounds again, this pattern repeated a total of 5 times (except for the Perry, 4 times). For some of them, the last time is a smaller number of rounds (about 10). Then they all stop to shoot forever…-All of them shoot at an approximate rate of 1 round/second (some faster, Molnya and Albatros, most of them a bit slower than 1 round/sec)Here are the peculiarities of each of them and the number of seconds between 41 rounds bursts:Oliver Perry : 30 sec. waitTiconderoga : 30 sec. wait, 2 cannons simultaneously (one at the bow, one at the stern)Molniya : 30 sec. wait (shoots faster)Albatros : 13 sec. waitNeustrahimy : 45 sec. waitRezky : 45 sec. wait, 2 cannons simultaneously (side by side at the stern)Moscow : 45 sec. wait, twin barrel cannonI hope you guys find this helpful (it is a bit dry to gather... thanks to the acceleration functions of the game!)JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

shi$$""t...

What happened to my (neatly formatted) text????

This is unreadable...:(

Sorry guys, I have no idea what is the matter.

Here I try again:

Hi guys,I decided to make some new experiments tonight to complement the data accumulating here...

I hope you mission-builders will find it informative. I think that, as B.R.D. pointed it, one of the reasons to know the rates of fire, number of this or that, is to mix up units in order to get less regularity and more variety in the firing patterns of opposing units.

voilà:

Artillery supplementary data

(experiments made June 11, 2007)

by JEFX

GROUND ARTILLERY

-All ground artillery units shoot their maximum number of rounds in 2 bursts (one big one and one small one), separated by approx 1’30’’ of waiting time.

-All of them take approx. 40 minutes to reload, ad infinitum.-All of the SAU family shoot approx. 8 rounds/min. while the M109 is roughly only one round/min.

-All three multiple launchers have been discussed before.Here is the number of rounds for each artillery unit between reloads :

SAU-Msta : 50 rounds

SAU-Akatsia : 46 rounds

SAU-Nona : 25 rounds

SAU-Gvodzika : 70 rounds

SAU-Bereg : 48 rounds

M109 : 56 rounds

SHIP ARTILLERY

-All ship-based artillery units have the same behavior : they shoot a 41 rounds burst, wait for a variable number of seconds, (see below) and shoot 41 rounds again, this pattern repeated a total of 5 times (except for the Perry, 4 times). For some of them, the last time is a smaller number of rounds (about 10). Then they all stop to shoot forever…

-All of them shoot at an approximate rate of 1 round/second (some faster, Molnya and Albatros, most of them a bit slower than 1 round/sec)Here are the peculiarities of each of them and the number of seconds between 41 rounds bursts:

Oliver Perry : 30 sec. wait

Ticonderoga : 30 sec. wait, 2 cannons simultaneously (one at the bow, one at the stern)

Molniya : 30 sec. wait (shoots faster)

Albatros : 13 sec. wait

Neustrahimy : 45 sec. wait

Rezky : 45 sec. wait, 2 cannons simultaneously (side by side at the stern)Moscow : 45 sec. wait, twin barrel cannon

I hope you guys find this helpful (it is a bit dry to gather... thanks to the acceleration functions of the game!)

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice job JEFX. Am cutting and pasting this info into my Lockon Big Compendium of Knowledge right now. :)

The ground artillery gap between the big bunch and the smaller bunch ties in with something I've observed recently when I had a SAU-Bereg shooting up some passing ships. I'd assumed the gap was because of the ships coming in and out of range, but now I see that this was the reason.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 10 months later...

Great thread... useful info Brit Radar Dude & JEFX, thanks.

So Brit.. you gonna post a 'tips & tricks of mission making' any time soon?? :smartass: Or have you already?... be great to try and get the community knowledge in one place.

I'm having trouble finding good info on mission making.

i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus P8Z77-V, 8 GB DDR3, 1.5GB GTX 480 (EVGA, superclocked), SSD, 2 x 1680x1050, x-fi extreme music.

TM Warthog, Saitek combat pro pedals, TrackIR 4