Got my new F/A-18 grip today!

streakeagle

Added an extra spring to each of the four columns in the lower compartment. This reduces the net force on the gimbal allowing it to move better since the TM gimbal operates via spring compression which is opposite to VKB/Virpil’s.

Would you happen to have a part number for those springs by chance?

Thanks!

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

These are the springs swiped from my other TMWH base, I don’t really have the part number. You can probably get them via TM or pull one out of your base and bring it to a local hardware store and see if you can get something similar.

The basic idea is to increase resistance in the lower spring compartment. You can either add more springs or use single longer springs or put stiffer ones in those columns.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Came back yesterday and found mine. Installed and tried.

I use it in a cockpit, as a center stick, virpil wrbrd base, 10cm extension.

First, I'm not impressed with the ergonomics. The pinky switch I cannot reach it with my pinky finger. Also the paddle switch is a tad too short.

The trim hat is a bit to the right and feel less comfortable to reach than the warthogs.

I like the position of my hand though that is more inclined forward. I also like the switches behavior and clicks.

To sum up I am happy but not overly impressed by the ergonomics

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Mine arrived last Friday, replacing the Warthog grip on a slightly modded Warthog base (years ago I pulled out the main large spring in the base and rely on just the four small springs, placed on top of the gimbal, which now give me perfectly equal stick forces in every direction).

To be honest, I simply didn’t like the way the Hornet stick felt at first. I also hadn’t quite realized that we’d be losing an entire hat worth of buttons. As mentioned above, the pinky button seems too far away and I can’t get the leverage required to press it unless I move my hand down from the main resting position; and the brake paddle seems too short.

Resisting the urge to send it back, I left it attached over the weekend and it’s now grown on me. I adjusted my setup to accommodate the fewer buttons and less reliance on needing the pinky button. Having tried the VirPil T-50 before, I still think that stick just feels better ergonomically, but the TM Hornet stock definitely feels closer to the ‘weighty replica’ feel of the Warthog than the plasticky T-50 did, and I think with some more hours with it, I’ll start to prefer it over my Warthog stick.

Edited by GregP

I also hadn’t quite realized that we’d be losing an entire hat worth of buttons.

The Hornet stick has the same number of buttons - 19 - as the Warthog, just configured differently.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The Hornet stick has the same number of buttons - 19 - as the Warthog, just configured differently.

True, I should’ve phrased it differently: although it’s the same number of buttons, the loss of a full hat created a bit of work for me to reconfigure my setup, as I could no longer group four related commands onto that lost hat.

Edited by GregP

True, I should’ve it phrased it differently: although it’s the same number of buttons, the loss of a full hat created a bit of work for me to reconfigure my setup, as I could no longer group four related commands onto that lost hat.

Ah ok. I know what you mean, but now I find it better than the WH, as I reconfigured what I used to have, and having that new 3 way for cage/uncage plus TDC depress etc. works really nicely.

I just wish the paddle was a lot longer!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So just out of curiosity; I don‘t own a Warthog HOTAS yet (T16000 atm) but plan on getting at least the Throttle.

Would you advice to get the Warthog stick also (to be ready for upcoming F16 module / I own A10 module also), or get myself a decent WarBRD-base / F18-stick combo directly?

Any insight would be appreciated :D

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

So just out of curiosity; I don‘t own a Warthog HOTAS yet (T16000 atm) but plan on getting at least the Throttle.

Would you advice to get the Warthog stick also (to be ready for upcoming F16 module / I own A10 module also), or get myself a decent WarBRD-base / F18-stick combo directly?

Well, opinions will vary on this. My advice, fwiw, would be to get the Warthog base and stick for the A-10C plus the F/A-18 stick for use with the Hornet and F16.

£400 for the lot on Amazon. The WarBRD base plus Hornet stick will cost you that, and the issue is that I don't think you can buy the Warthog stick on its own.

I have had trouble free use for quite long time with my Warthog stick and throttle.

I would also add, that the Warthog base feels really nice with the new Hornet stick.

Get the Warthog as it can be had at significant discount from retail, you also get the Warthog stick which will be great for the F-16 and A-10C. And you might as well get the new F-18 grip if you can afford it or wait for discount next year (or during preholiday sales from Dell, Walmart, Home Depot, Bestbuy, etc.)

Mod the lower springs on the Warthog base to get rid of the stiffness around the center and you’re good to go. I’ve been flying the Warthog base/F-18 grip combo with my VR setup and the experience has been great. Virpil base while great and better built is too springy for me when paired with TM’s heavy grips, which makes sense since it was really made to be used with their own grips which are much lighter.

If you still don’t like it, you can buy more expensive base. But from my personal experiences owning all these gear, the Warthog is quite fine.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

having them both I will say.

if you polish and regrease your warthog base (to make it smooth and prevent stickness) it will be almost as good as the virpil, with the advantage of having no oscillations in the center (springy) when you let the stick go.

but the Virpil base will last much longer, and won't create any center play ever. the Warthog base could after a while. especially in the yaw.

so, right now, I would probably go for the WARBR + Hornet stick.

polishing and regreasing the Warthog base isn't difficult, but take some patience.

Edited by FZG_Immel

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

These are the springs swiped from my other TMWH base, I don’t really have the part number. You can probably get them via TM or pull one out of your base and bring it to a local hardware store and see if you can get something similar.

The basic idea is to increase resistance in the lower spring compartment. You can either add more springs or use single longer springs or put stiffer ones in those columns.

Ohh, ok perfect. I actually have a spare TMWH base that doesn't work :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

I‘m very good at greasing and polishing, just sayin‘ :music_whistling:

whatever floats your boat :D

we aint judging here ;)

TARGET Editor layout

//Trigger
MapKey(&JoystickF18,TG1,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,TG2,);

//Buttons
MapKey(&JoystickF18,S1,);   // Recce Button
MapKey(&JoystickF18,S2,);   // Weapon Pickle
MapKey(&JoystickF18,S3,);   // Pinky Button
MapKey(&JoystickF18,S4,);   // Pinky Lever

//VR Rocker  |:|
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H3U,);   Forward
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H3D,);   Aft
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H3P,);   Push

//Seneor Select Switch    ::
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H2U,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H2D,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H2R,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H2L,);

MapKey(&JoystickF18,H2P,);   // SSS Push

//Weapon Select Switch    =        
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H4U,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H4D,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H4R,);
MapKey(&JoystickF18,H4L,);

MapKey(&JoystickF18,H4P,);  // Push

//Trim
MapKeyIO(&JoystickF18,H1U,);
MapKeyIO(&JoystickF18,H1D,);
MapKeyIO(&JoystickF18,H1R,);
MapKeyIO(&JoystickF18,H1L,);

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Recieved mine today, wow what a beautiful joystick. When positioned in the correct spot, ie between your legs and slighty twisted, your hand wraps around it perfectly making all the buttons easily accessible. Because it is longer it makes fine control much easier.

As much as i already love it, you'd want to be a hornet nerd to coff up that much money.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Win11 64bit, AMD Ryzen 58003DX, GeForce 3070 8GB, 2TB SSD, 64GB DDR4 RAM at 3200MHz _ full 1:1 FA-18C Cockpit https://www.youtube.com/@TheHornetProject

It is pricey, but for me it was worth it. I like the ergonomics of the F/A-18C grip much better than the MCG Pro and A-10/F-16 grip.

My favorite grip for fit/comfort remains the widely used B-8 (seen in the UH-1, F-86, and F-5E in this sim).

The VKB Kosmosima SCG Pro is a very close second for comfort and ergonomics while also having all the controls found on the more modern grips, so if I could only use one grip, it might be this one.

The F/A-18C grip sacrifices some control capability and any kind of texture (like the checkered diamond pattern on B-8 grips) to be faithful to the real grip, otherwise, I might rank it equal or better than the SCG Pro.

The MCG Pro has absolutely the best/most flexible control mapping options with all of the available axes, buttons, and levers. It even has a checkered diamond texture similar to the B-8. But in being faithful to the Russian grips it is based on, the ergonomics are markedly inferior with some buttons being harder to reach. The B-8 and SCG grips are more or less shaped like a 0.45 pistol grip, which I find to be very comfortable. The MCG Pro is a smaller circumference with nearly a perfectly round shape like a pipe. But for all my dislikes and ranking it below the SCG and F/A-18C grips, it is the grip I use the most because I like/want the brake lever and flip up trigger that are very appropriate for many of the DCS aircraft.

I would only use the Warthog A-10C/F-16 grip when flying those two aircraft. There is nothing really wrong with it, but I find it to be the least comfortable, worst arranged for my purposes. The grip has no checkered texture. It has a smaller circumference like the MCG Pro. But is also has flat sides, so I can feel the corners where it transitions from flat sides to the curved front and rear shapes. It doesn't have the brake lever or analog thumb stick of the MCG Pro (which is far superior to the ministick on the Warthog throttle!). Keep in mind, I am talking down this grip in comparison to the others above it, biased by my own subjective opinion about comfort/ergonomics: it has the worst "feel" and lacks in control capability, so I like it the least and rate it accordingly even though it functions very well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]