How accurately modeled are the sun and moon positions based on date and time of day? Solar eclipses visible?

GeneralDynamics

I was out flying the Persian Gulf "Free Flight" Instant Action mission tonight, just messing around and noticed that the position of the sun and moon were pretty close. Then that got me wondering (and this is probably a REALLY dumb question) if you're flying in DCSW in the right place at the right time on the right date, would it be possible to see an eclipse? I suspect it's not modeled, but if you don't ask, you won't know, right? What say you guys?

Edit: My guess would be that if the moon were to pass in front of the sun, there would be no occlusion and the moon simply wouldn't be visible until out of the sun's corona.

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

• ED Team

Hi

We do have a bug that makes sunrise about an hour and 20 minutes late currently.

This maybe the issue you are seeing

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Generally speaking, it's accurate, yes. One of the maps was off, but I think it's PG and due to be fixed. As for what would happen during an eclipse? No idea. Try it and see! Write back what happened =)

@BN

He's asking if eclipses are modeled

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• ED Team
Generally speaking, it's accurate, yes. One of the maps was off, but I think it's PG and due to be fixed. As for what would happen during an eclipse? No idea. Try it and see! Write back what happened =)

@BN

He's asking if eclipses are modeled

I dont think I have ever tried, might be worth a go :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• GeneralDynamics changed the title to How accurately modeled are the sun and moon positions based on date and time of day? Solar eclipses visible?

Well folks, for all it's worth, are solar eclipses modeled in DCS? The answer appears to be YES!

I opened this thread back in August of 2019, and at the time the general consensus based upon other posts was that solar eclipses were almost certainly not modeled, so I took that a face value and went on about my life because I didn't have the slightest idea how to use the mission editor at the time.

I decided to revisit this question now, years later, since I've been dabbling with creating my own missions.

Researching past and future solar eclipses visible from Las Vegas, Nevada, I found a partial eclipse that would be visible from Las Vegas at its maximum on Oct 14th, 2023, at around 9:26 am. Here is what the eclipse should look like:

Eclipse.JPG

I set up a mission with a single FA-18C sitting on the ramp at Nellis facing east at the specified time. Loaded the mission, hopped in the aircraft, looked up into the eastern sky above the open canopy and here's what I saw:

Eclipse in DCS.JPG

The position isn't perfect, but I'm not going to split hairs over this - I'm just impressed that the eclipse is visible at all. Now, would a total solar eclipse actually darken the landscape as if it were nighttime? I have no idea, and I suspect that would depend entirely upon how the light source from the sun is modeled, i.e. is it a point source actually emanating from the sun, etc..

Anyway, just my small contribution to put this question to rest. Cheers everyone! 

Edited by GeneralDynamics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

Moderators - I'm not sure why this thread was at some point moved to "General Bugs" as the original question was simply a curiosity, nothing more. Please feel free to move it to a more suitable home in the forums if you like. Thanks! 

System Specs: