Initial impressions of Gunfighter Mk. II with KG12 grip

default762792

Cons: Not many...a little expensive but worth it so far, grip subjectively feels flimsy but probably isn't, needs a little more setup out of the box than some others. I suppose also limited button-mapping (but I knew that when I deliberately ordered the KG12 version, as I am currently focusing on WWII Luftwaffe aircraft, but I'll probably get an MCG eventually and that will no longer be an issue).

Pros: Basically everything else. I don't want to criticize my trusty old CH Fighterstick too much, which has served me faithfully for a decade, but this thing is in altogether another league. The degree of precise control is unreal. The impossible has become very difficult, the very difficult has become challenging, and the challenging has become routine. There's almost a reverse learning curve, so to speak, and it's still early days, but so far I'm pretty impressed. Also, the perceived flimsiness of the grip (which is probably illusory) definitely does not apply to the base and gimbal. I haven't fiddled with springs and cams yet, other than loosening the damper screw a bit. And honestly, I don't think I will for a while as the difference is so dramatic I don't need it to be tweaked much at the moment.

Used it a bit on the Bf109K-4, both Fw190s, and the Gazelle, and it was simply an entirely new flying experience. I can only imagine what it will be like once I get used to it.

The ordering/shipping process was pretty straightforward, and the packaging was sturdy.

Anyhow, at least provisionally recommended. :thumbup:

:thumbup:

Nice - I have certainly been enjoying mine!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I went from 40 percent curves on pitch and roll, and 50 on rudder (haha, yeah, I know) to 0 on pitch and roll, 20 for rudder. It's actually made the rudder (an old CH Products Pro Pedals) a much finer instrument than it was in conjunction with the Fighterstick. I'm pretty pleased so far.

Hi guys,

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a new stick and base. I attempted to order a new VKB over the weekend but they are out of stock again. I noticed that Virpil has stock at the moment but I'm somewhat concerned about recent complaints in this forum regarding quality of the stick and trigger issues in general. Also a recent video I watched showed the difference in quality inside the stick but I don't know if that was the new version of the Virpil Mongoose CM2 stick.

I guess what I'm getting at is, should I wait for VKB to get re-stocked or try the Virpil instead. It seems you have to make fairly quick decisions when either of these products become available.

Hi guys,

I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a new stick and base. I attempted to order a new VKB over the weekend but they are out of stock again. I noticed that Virpil has stock at the moment but I'm somewhat concerned about recent complaints in this forum regarding quality of the stick and trigger issues in general. Also a recent video I watched showed the difference in quality inside the stick but I don't know if that was the new version of the Virpil Mongoose CM2 stick.

I guess what I'm getting at is, should I wait for VKB to get re-stocked or try the Virpil instead. It seems you have to make fairly quick decisions when either of these products become available.

I have both the original Virpil setup and a VKB Gunfighter Pro setup.

The VKB offering is quite good and what I am currently flying with. I am considering getting the newer Virpil offering down the road a little.

If I had neither one, I would probably first choose the latest Virpil offering as they seemed to have improved over the original a fair amount.

But either really should provide you with a great stick.

A nice thing about both of them, if not satisfied should be pretty easy to sell on Ebay or in forums.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have both the original Virpil setup and a VKB Gunfighter Pro setup.

The VKB offering is quite good and what I am currently flying with. I am considering getting the newer Virpil offering down the road a little.

If I had neither one, I would probably first choose the latest Virpil offering as they seemed to have improved over the original a fair amount.

But either really should provide you with a great stick.

A nice thing about both of them, if not satisfied should be pretty easy to sell on Ebay or in forums.

My main question would be (and is) the price. As for what I can get VKB Gunfighter with MCG grip (non PRO one), thus hi-end base, I can get just Virpil's WarBRD base with comparable grip. Mongoos base combo is so much more expensive.

And as I still want to keep my spending in reasonable range, I consider grip extension as interesting property that Mongoos' price is still a deal breaker.

And I keep in mind that all 3 bases were judged favorably by several reviewers (and grips as well). So it is still rather question what you like, how much money you have, but you will get the promised performance.

My main question would be (and is) the price. As for what I can get VKB Gunfighter with MCG grip (non PRO one), thus hi-end base, I can get just Virpil's WarBRD base with comparable grip. Mongoos base combo is so much more expensive.

And as I still want to keep my spending in reasonable range, I consider grip extension as interesting property that Mongoos' price is still a deal breaker.

And I keep in mind that all 3 bases were judged favorably by several reviewers (and grips as well). So it is still rather question what you like, how much money you have, but you will get the promised performance.

Certainly can't go wrong with the Gunfighter-MCG setup.

It is what I am using now and loving it.

Don B

Thanks for the replies. It's not any of the bases that I'm worried about. The new base for the Virpil appears to be geared towards people wanting to use extensions which I don't need. It was the Virpil stick itself that had me concerned, but that appears to have been a problem with the older stick not the CM2. As I said, no VKB product is available so I'm leaning towards the Virpil. I could certainly wait for the VKB to come back in stock but it appears that can be quite a long wait.

Certainly can't go wrong with the Gunfighter-MCG setup.

It is what I am using now and loving it.

That is my number one. Most likely with extension. Thus if I really say myself "go for it" this is probably what I will get. but I am still having quarrel with my wallet :D

Thanks for the replies. It's not any of the bases that I'm worried about. The new base for the Virpil appears to be geared towards people wanting to use extensions which I don't need. It was the Virpil stick itself that had me concerned, but that appears to have been a problem with the older stick not the CM2. As I said, no VKB product is available so I'm leaning towards the Virpil. I could certainly wait for the VKB to come back in stock but it appears that can be quite a long wait.

When NOObifier dissmantled their new WarBRD grip, it was nice build. If I decide the Virpil to be the winner, that would be possibly my choice as other grip is more expensive and that cosmic one is visually ugly for me. Incoming grip looks functionally as great option but I expect it to be at least a full-price one.

But for now waiting is not an issue for me, unless one company's store goes on "Black Friday" - I do not expect them to do so.