Rift S, ASW, TrayTool, Debug? Confused!

30mikemike

Hi guys,

I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on an issue I'm having with The Rift S and ghosting images.

I'm running DCS at PD 1.5, MSAA x2 and to be fair it's great, very smooth and locked at 40fps. My issue is with the ghosting effect that I'm getting....wing tip blurr, other aircraft blurr etc etc.

When I turn ASW off this ghosting effect goes but my frames shoot up to 80 and everywhere in between and causes horrendous stutter.

I'm not running debug tool or Traytool mainly because I don't know what benefits, if any, I'll get.

I've seen many posts about people turning ASW off and it's fine but it's definitely the opposite in my case.

I've had the Rift S for about 3 weeks now but I'm falling out of love with it as this blurry issue is really bugging me!

Can anyone help?

Thanks guys....

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

I find that the ASW setting "ASW off , lock frames to 45" (CV1) setting works best for me . Smooth and no ghosting .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I find that the ASW setting "ASW off , lock frames to 45" (CV1) setting works best for me . Smooth and no ghosting .

Strange because I tried that exact setting and it’s still at 40 but juddery as hell. I’ve just had a flight in the Hornet and it’s locked at 40 and smooth as silk but that’s with ASW on. Maybe it’s a trade off I’ll have to live with until I can figure something out!

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

Interestingly I had been flying with ASW off for quite some time, even with my CV1.

I know Oculus had made some changes to ASW so thought I would give it a try with it on, spent most yesterday flying the Hornet with it on.

It is certainly better than it used to be, ghosting still there but not as dramatic as it was iirc.

I was getting a very smooth experience with my Rift S whether at 80 fps or 40fps. May keep it on for a while. Thankfully I see 80 fps more than 40 fps which helps also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Interestingly I had been flying with ASW off for quite some time, even with my CV1.

I know Oculus had made some changes to ASW so thought I would give it a try with it on, spent most yesterday flying the Hornet with it on.

It is certainly better than it used to be, ghosting still there but not as dramatic as it was iirc.

I was getting a very smooth experience with my Rift S whether at 80 fps or 40fps. May keep it on for a while. Thankfully I see 80 fps more than 40 fps which helps also.

So just out of interest what happens when you turn it off? I imagine the frames will not be locked but is it still smooth without it on?

So just out of interest what happens when you turn it off? I imagine the frames will not be locked but is it still smooth without it on?

Yeah it was smooth for the most part, down low might notice some stuttering when looking at ground as flying over depending on fps. Been flying all day with ASW on and it is very smooth.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah it was smooth for the most part, down low might notice some stuttering when looking at ground as flying over depending on fps. Been flying all day with ASW on and it is very smooth.

Same with mine pretty much, high up was ok but down low was stuttering, even though the frames were still high. Very odd...I’ll leave ASW on and put up with the ghosting/blurry bits.

The introduction of ASW 2.0 could help. Unfortunately, there is no information from ED about it...

Isn't ASW 2.0 available on the Oculus Beta? I read somewhere that it was....I might be wrong.

Isn't ASW 2.0 available on the Oculus Beta? I read somewhere that it was....I might be wrong.

Oculus ASW 2.0 has been out for a while now.

Only caveat is the game must support depth buffering, which DCS does not currently so it reverts to original ASW.

You can easily tell if your game has depth buffering and supports ASW 2.0.

Whilst in game press the button on Touch to bring up the Oculus Dash panel. If the game is still being displayed along with the Dash panel, it supports depth buffering

and ASW 2.0.

If the game image fades to gray when the Dash Panel is opened in the game, it does not support Depth Buffering and uses original ASW.

I have not seen any info posted from ED whether this is something they plan on adding or not.

With all the different headsets now and many going with other brands now, I would think they likely would not spend the time on it.

It is a really cool feature though, I can have Dash open in a game that supports it and move windows around and resize them in the game, with hardly any performance hit. Like my Precision X1 monitoring software, can minimize and maximize it any time in VR, and move it around anywhere.

Edited by dburne

Don B

30mikemike

I suffer the same as you, and found that if I turn ASW off the performance is terrible.

I started this thread on the same topic recently:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=246301

For me personally the best performance increases came from turning off both cockpit global illumination and shadows. This cured all the stuttering/juddering.

The best result I have had in reducing the ghosting has come from using this mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250286

Just my own experiences of course.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

30mikemike

I suffer the same as you, and found that if I turn ASW off the performance is terrible.

I started this thread on the same topic recently:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=246301

For me personally the best performance increases came from turning off both cockpit global illumination and shadows. This cured all the stuttering/juddering.

The best result I have had in reducing the ghosting has come from using this mod:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=250286

Just my own experiences of course.

Interesting. I've got shadows & global illumination off anyway to be fair but I do run PD at 1.5 and also MSAA x2. Rest of my settings are medium really except for the trees as i have to have them at full as I get that weird growing out the ground effect if i don't.

My frames with the Rift S are locked at 40 with ASW on and literally don't move unless I'm high up where they will jump to 80. It's glass smooth with ASW on but I get the blurry visuals on other aircraft/wingtips etc etc.. If I turn ASW off then my frames range from low 60's near the ground to 90+ high up. But with it off induces horrible judder when nearer the ground rendering it unplayable with it off.

From what I've read if I lower my PD setting and/or MSAA then it should be fine with ASW off, but then I don't want it to look crap with the lower PD/MSAA setting. Rock and a hard place springs to mind!