F16 Control setup before next release?

Hi Wags/Team.

Listened to you on the Fighter Pilot Podcast with Jello yesterday. Can I get your autograph?

I thought your voice was put on for the promo videos on youtube - but listening to that I realise it really is your voice.

:)

(bear with me as I begin)

I was dogfighting with the F16 yesterday and couldn’t shake off a mig21 because I had drop tanks still attached.

I pressed the button I setup in the controller page to drop the tanks and they wouldn’t come off.

I pressed even harder -as hard as I could and they still wouldn’t come off.

Then I found out its not implemented yet. Early access etc. Fair enough.

My question is:

Is it worth me setting up my controls for what I can now? (Even to features that dont work yet)

Would an update to the F16 remove all of my key bindings? perhaps because features may change the bindings.?

What I am getting at is i'd hate to program them all for what will only be a few flights (cant really use the f16 effectively yet) and then have to redo them all every time an update comes out.

Its not a problem either way - but was hoping to avoid the efforts.

thanks.

Is it worth me setting up my controls for what I can now? (Even to features that dont work yet)

Would an update to the F16 remove all of my key bindings? perhaps because features may change the bindings.?

What I am getting at is i'd hate to program them all for what will only be a few flights (cant really use the f16 effectively yet) and then have to redo them all every time an update comes out.

Its not a problem either way - but was hoping to avoid the efforts.

Every update could potentially break the keybindings. Modules in EA have a higher chance to do so.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Had the same situation yesterday. Then restarted the fighte without bags and still had the same result.

Tried again and again for hours and its nearly impossible to outturn a Mig21 below 10.000 feet.

Switched my tactics to boom and zoom and still had no success.

Then switched to a hornet and after that to a viggen. Both times it was much easier to kill the Mig.

The flightmodel of the F-16 is either not finished or i am doing something terribly wrong.

You can backup your controls setup prior to performing updates.. they are at /saved games/dcs/config/ ... backup the whole folder so you can later on restore the whole folder if needed.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Backing up an early release in case the controls are changed? It sounds like a fun way to screw things up to me.

But hey, if that's your bag - go with it.

For the rest of us, yes, you may need to address a few issues that appear due to changes to control mapping. Call it all part of life's rich tapestry when you take that leap of faith and buy pre-release public Beta modules. But hey it takes moments to address such idiosyncrasies, so shall we just go with the flow instead perhaps? I think that would be a sensible approach.

If not, you will find the burning torches and pitchforks stacked in the nursery toy cupboard.

Not saying it can’t happen, but when they modified/added bindings for the Hornet it did not require redoing everything (for me anyway).

i9-9900K | 1080Ti 11GB | 32GB DDR4 | TM Warthog | Oculus Rift S | gametrix JetSeat

F/A-18C | F-16C | F-14B | A-10C | F-86F | P-51D | P-47D | Spitfire | Fw 190A-8 | Bf 109K-4

Backing up an early release in case the controls are changed? It sounds like a fun way to screw things up to me.

Not really ... the actual full set of command bindings for an aircraft are stored not on your /Saved Games/Config ... but they are within DCS, at /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mods/Aircraft/<aircraft name>/Input

... what is at /Saved Games/ are only those bindings that you've changed from the default, thats why the file is called .DIFF.LUA .. it contains only the differences from the default.

While ED can change a command from one relase to the next, the chance of impacting you are actually not that great.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Bah. I'll just add in my inputs. What the heck.

If I gotta do it again later because of a major change. So be it. Not the end of the world I suppose.

I use a Warthog and my own personal 20 button USB input device- so its not that bad.

The rest are using the mouse in game to click things.

Useful to know all of this though - so thanks for the input.

NeilWillis response had me getting myself more comfortable - shifting closer to the screen to read out again.

Like one of those drunk guys at the bar you sometimes come across. lol.

Edited by cptmrcalm

Not really ... the actual full set of command bindings for an aircraft are stored not on your /Saved Games/Config ... but they are within DCS, at /Program Files/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Mods/Aircraft/<aircraft name>/Input

... what is at /Saved Games/ are only those bindings that you've changed from the default, thats why the file is called .DIFF.LUA .. it contains only the differences from the default.

While ED can change a command from one relase to the next, the chance of impacting you are actually not that great.

Best regards

What usually accounts for the red entry lines that we see appearing from time to time with updates? Have we not also seen situations where the entire inputs branch of our saved games sections get lost?

Had the same situation yesterday. Then restarted the fighte without bags and still had the same result.

Tried again and again for hours and its nearly impossible to outturn a Mig21 below 10.000 feet.

Switched my tactics to boom and zoom and still had no success.

Then switched to a hornet and after that to a viggen. Both times it was much easier to kill the Mig.

The flightmodel of the F-16 is either not finished or i am doing something terribly wrong.

Pay attention to the G meter in the top left of the hud over the speed tape. I was having the same issue and realized I was putting way more load on the jet than I thought. The Vipers best corner speed is between 340-440kts. At this speed you can out turn anything. Both fighters suck at speeds below 250 but the Viper is really bad. 21's don't like to go slow either which is why they high yo-yo all the time. If you're going to crank a turn, do it at corner speed. Going faster than corner in a turning fight will not help at all. If you find you can't pull 8-9 G's youre either too fast or too slow. The 21 has a faster roll rate but not a faster turn rate. The Hornet beats the 21 because it can pitch and roll all day below 200kts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

• 2 weeks later...
Pay attention to the G meter in the top left of the hud over the speed tape. I was having the same issue and realized I was putting way more load on the jet than I thought. The Vipers best corner speed is between 340-440kts. At this speed you can out turn anything. Both fighters suck at speeds below 250 but the Viper is really bad. 21's don't like to go slow either which is why they high yo-yo all the time. If you're going to crank a turn, do it at corner speed. Going faster than corner in a turning fight will not help at all. If you find you can't pull 8-9 G's youre either too fast or too slow. The 21 has a faster roll rate but not a faster turn rate. The Hornet beats the 21 because it can pitch and roll all day below 200kts.

i think the problem is the AI flight model of the MIG21.

It seems to be simplified -> much better turn rate

When fighting a fully loaded MIG21 with a complete clean MIG21 i still get outturned easily.