More Inert/Training Munitions

Swift.

I'm confused by the "sure that they work correctly" phrasing. Inert weapons don't really "work" as they have no motors and no fuses. The only exception is functional seekers like what we have on the CAP-9M. It's been ages since I flew the A-10C, but do the captive Maverick seekers work? 

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

I'm confused by the "sure that they work correctly" phrasing. Inert weapons don't really "work" as they have no motors and no fuses. The only exception is functional seekers like what we have on the CAP-9M. It's been ages since I flew the A-10C, but do the captive Maverick seekers work? 

Well, how it works in real life as far i understand the process (happily correct me): the inert weapon got no motor and no explosive. But the seeker and all the functionality regarding HUD symbology and the like are present. When the inert weapon is released, the TCTS sends all info into the network, so ground controllers and all aircraft including AWACS and the target aircraft receive appropriate signals. All this information is also saved for later. So (for a CAT-120 for example), there would be a launch indication on the RWR when the missile is "released". Afaik ground control then judges if it was a hit or miss and calls the pilot out accordingly. If hit, the pilot would be called "dead" and had to return to the regeneration area. Later, the saved information can be viewed in a real life version of what we in DCS have as TacView.

The Standard Operation Procedures of the F-16 Red Flag Campaign got some info about how it works in practice (p. 41).

"Working correctly" in DCS terms: as of now, if you hit the trigger with an inert weapon, literally nothing happens. You will not see a launch or hit indication in the mission end report/score screen. The targeted aircraft will not receive a launch indication on RWR. And when working with TacView, you will not see a missile fired, not see its trajectory and if it was a it or miss. Also JTACs will not register a simulated hit on a ground target with the logical consequence that a simulated shot will not satisfy the JTAC. Realistic training missions currently are not possible, hence the terrible but necessary habit of shooting live ammunition in training scenarios and making players invulnerable.

"Working correctly" would basically be: when you "fire" an inert weapon, visually nothing happens with the missile on your wing. But behind the curtain, an invisible weapon would be "fired", the target would get all indications applicable, it would fly like a live missile and react to countermeasures, maneuvering... and when it hits or burns out, just despawn. But there would be indications in the mission end screen, there would be an event that could be used with scripting (for example to play a "Callsign X, you are dead" radio voice or have a text stating a hit or miss) and you could watch everything in TacView.

All we would basically need, is inert behave like live. But they go off rail just virtually and despawn when they hit or burn out. Also a functionality that handles AI behavior. Guess that is the tricky part? AI would need to disengage when hit and be ignored by all other AI, then be scriptable to for example return to a refresh zone and be set "alive" on arrival. Or RTB and shut down. Or whatever intended by the mission designer.

Edit: the TGM-65 Maverick indeed got a working seeker, you can slew, you can lock. When you fire, the screen turns black and as far as i know, there is no further functionality beyond this point. No simulated lauch, no simulated impact, nothing on TacView.

Edited by Schlingel mit Kringel
  • Like 2

Ah that kind of "working correctly." Seems a bit odd to use that reason now when we already have an assortment of captive/inert/training weapons that don't "work correctly" by that defnition. In the future that kind of functionality would be amazing for all the Red Flag campaigns, Zone V, etc., but for the interim I don't see why they can't give us access to 3D models with weight and drag.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...