Eastern Caucasus - Chechenia, Armenia, Azerbaijan (and possible Georgia remake)

This would be a map heavily revolving around Soviet aircraft. The Chechen wars would be optimal for singleplayer and coop multiplayer COIN warfare, while the Armenia-Azerbaijan conflicts were more conventional and saw air-to-air combat too - which would make them suitable for red vs. red aircraft PvP multiplayer. Definitely a very versatile map.

The map would cover several time frames and conflicts: Armenia-Azerbaijan 1988-1994 as well as 2020 and the First Chechen War 1994-1996 and Second Chechen War 1999-2009 along with a lot of other clashes in that southern region. From what we got (coming) in DCS module wise were active in this region: Su-25, MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29, Mi-8, Mi-24, L-39 for Russia as well as Armenia and Azerbeijan. Chechenia also is the only conflict where the Ka-50 was actually employed, so this map could be the historically correct playground for this helicopter.

We got so many maps focusing on western aircraft and conflicts, i think it would be great to have a map highlighting eastern aircraft only.

Map would be roughly 700x700km detailed area (same as Sinai map) and afaik cover all relevant airports for those conflicts: Mozdok, Budyonnovsk, Kizlyar and Makhachkala for Russia. For Azerbaijan: Baku, Dollyar, Kyurdamir, Sitalchay, Nasosnaya. For Armenia: Erebuni, Shirak, Arzni.

There is also the chance of properly redoing Georgia, as the current map is quite inaccurate/generic and also missing important airbases like Marneulie. Maybe it could be even extended to the west later (once TDK allows) to include all of Georgia. The old Caucasus map could stay in as a "low-resolution" free asset, the way more detailed remake and extension be a full price module.

edit: if there was conflicts with ED due to (re)doing Georgia btw, i think this region could be left out/low-resolution. Main focus should be Chechenia, Armenia, Azerbaijan. New Georgia would be a big cherry on top.

grafik.png

Edited by Schlingel mit Kringel
  • Like 9

I second this notion.
This is a very nice idea!
Mr. Kringel you have really done your homework!

U0EbB_Ldy5r2LLL5LsKK5TfKvuuZT5uGE2JwE7cr9ba2u0eLa29VAuMR-BgN0VUtCH1i08epN2dVq01r9oJufDSF.jpg

YVR4NYDT3R_fERXJPXWyOx2GfX6ku-cL1Cmo0eKlhXFo72O_oTYVn0BOCUnUqMrn2RZYCMxQT0WG6YF_CjR9wAu-.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center

Авиабаза_1521_Мары_logo_extra_sm.png

20 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The problem of that region has "very sensible" by the last tensions.

This is a combat simulator, so by nature pretty much anything is "very sensible" to someone: Sinai got Gaza on it, Syria war is still active... let us not continue on political topics, it will just derail the thread. There are rules for a reason. In the end (a 3rd party dev and) ED will decide if it can be done or not anyways, so do not let us speculate.

Instead embrace how beautiful that region is. I love going around on Google Maps and discover places far away. These are from GM along the Armenian-Azerbaijan border and south to Iran. Mountainous terrain with lots of small settlements crouched along the valleys. A gradual change from lush wooded areas, slowly becoming scarcer and more rocky until on the southern edge on the border to Iran the landscape is barren yet beautiful and impressive. I would love to one day take a helicopter and virtually go around those places.

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

This is a combat simulator, so by nature pretty much anything is "very sensible" to someone: Sinai got Gaza on it, Syria war is still active... let us not continue on political topics, it will just derail the thread. There are rules for a reason. In the end (a 3rd party dev and) ED will decide if it can be done or not anyways, so do not let us speculate.

Instead embrace how beautiful that region is. I love going around on Google Maps and discover places far away. These are from GM along the Armenian-Azerbaijan border and south to Iran. Mountainous terrain with lots of small settlements crouched along the valleys. A gradual change from lush wooded areas, slowly becoming scarcer and more rocky until on the southern edge on the border to Iran the landscape is barren yet beautiful and impressive. I would love to one day take a helicopter and virtually go around those places.

Remember ED has "banned" any develop over "expansions " over the caucasus only by info.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

grafik.png

The scenery you see there, we would already have in the Caucasus map, if it had been done more "true to life" with current map technology and fewer generic textures and settlements. Still, adding it would be a wonderful expansion of that part of the world.

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 2

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

23 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Remember ED has "banned" any develop over "expansions " over the caucasus only by info.

Always thought that is just about expansion to the west. Anyways, thread was just marked "not planned" and it is going offtopic. We will see, it does not mean it is not possible at some point (expansion east, not west) somewhere in the future. Either by ED or a 3rd party, or a mix like with Normandy 2.0 and The Channel map.

24 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

The scenery you see there, we would already have in the Caucasus map, if it had been done more "true to life" with current map technology and fewer generic textures and settlements. Still, adding it would be a wonderful expansion of that part of the world.

Yes, hence i would love to see a remake of Georgia too if possible. At some point the map will be aged significantly, so there will have to be a remake/workover inevitably. That would be a good opportunity for an east expansion *wink wink* 😄 The close proximity is screaming for it.
The whole region is really beautfiul. With Armenia and Azerbeijan additionally they have that gorgeous barren landscape. The Iraq and Afghanistan images from the "2024 and beyond" looked really nice, think with the newer TDK there are a lot of possibilities to get closer to how it looks in real life.

Anyways. From reactions, people seem to be interested in having such a map. We will see what the future brings 🙂

• Like 2

I see this thread has been marked “not planned” which is curious. Of course, it’s not planned. If it were planned, there’d be no need to request it. If on the other hand, “not planned” is shorthand for “ we will not even consider this”, then just say so.

• Like 3

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

11 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

I see this thread has been marked “not planned” which is curious. Of course, it’s not planned. If it were planned, there’d be no need to request it. If on the other hand, “not planned” is shorthand for “ we will not even consider this”, then just say so.

I interpreted it as a "we have no plans to do such at the moment / it isn't on our current list", but also as a "no definite no-go" so to say. I think BN/NL had explicitly said so if this was a definite no-go and not possible. So i guess it is open to be considered at some point by either ED or 3rd party, or both.

Edited by Schlingel mit Kringel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

I interpreted it as a "we have no plans to do such at the moment / it isn't on our current list", but also as a "no definite no-go" so to say. I think BN/NL had explicitly said so if this was a definite no-go and not possible. So i guess it is open to be considered at some point by either ED or 3rd party, or both.

Seems a bit early in the life of this thread for the requested map to already be put on either a to-do list or a no-plans-at-the-moment list. But, then again, I’m not privy to ED’s decision process. So, perhaps, you’re right. 

Edited by Ironhand
  • Like 2

_____

17 hours ago, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

Yes, hence i would love to see a remake of Georgia too if possible. At some point the map will be aged significantly, so there will have to be a remake/workover inevitably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

I figure I’ve got, maybe, 15 years left on the right side of the earth. Hopefully it’ll be out before then.

• Like 3

_____

On 2/2/2024 at 4:17 PM, Ironhand said:

I figure I’ve got, maybe, 15 years left on the right side of the earth. Hopefully it’ll be out before then.

I hope you have more than that and that the update comes out waaaaaaay sooner.

• Like 2

Авиабаза 1521, Мары - Центр боевого применения | Airbase 1521, Mary - Combat Operations Center

Авиабаза_1521_Мары_logo_extra_sm.png

On 2/1/2024 at 4:03 PM, Schlingel mit Kringel said:

This is a combat simulator, so by nature pretty much anything is "very sensible" to someone: Sinai got Gaza on it, Syria war is still active...

To be fair I assume he meant "sensitive", not "sensible", as it is actually super sensible! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

To be fair I assume he meant "sensitive", not "sensible", as it is actually super sensible! 😉

😄 You're right, did not even notice. Of course both Silver_Dragon and i meant "sensitive". The joys of being non-native speakers 🙂

• Like 1

• ED Team

Hi all, 

we have no plans for eastern Caucasus, Chechenia, Armenia, or Azerbaijan terrains. Our teams are very busy already with Marianas WWII, Iraq, and Afghanistan. 

I visited Armenia last year and it is a beautiful part of the world.

thank you.   

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all, 

we have no plans for eastern Caucasus, Chechenia, Armenia, or Azerbaijan terrains. Our teams are very busy already with Marianas WWII, Iraq, and Afghanistan. 

I visited Armenia last year and it is a beautiful part of the world.

thank you.   

Hey BigNewy, cheers for chiming in and letting us know.

I interpret "no plans" due to "teams busy" as "generally possible and we might consider it at some undefined later point, given there are free dev resources and interest (no commitmentTM)"?
If it is a principle no-go, please clarify accordingly (and probably close).

If it is generally a thing that might possibly happen at some later date, i'd probably feed the thread with background info and sources on the conflicts, locations of relevance, units based and their equipment... at some point. I am just digging through some thousand pages about the 2008 Georgia war (for a historically correct mission template) and can imagine to read up and write about things further east after this (like 2025+ haha). So whoever might possibly pick this up as a map project already got some research done and sources compiled.

But if it is in principle off-charts and a no-go for the reasonable future, there would be little sense to write essays in here 😉 and i would pick another (DCS relevant) patch of history next.

And yes: it is indeed a beautiful region: stunning landscapes, rich and diverse in culture and history, being the bridge between the Middle East and Eastern Europe, making it a bit of a melting pot... round-trip Georgia>Southern Russia>Azerbaijan>Armenia is definitely on my travel-wishlist.

Thanks!

• Like 2

• ED Team

Hi, 

we have no plans for these terrains, if a third party wanted to they would need to discuss it with EDSA. 

thank you 

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2