Solid State Drive?

I have a decent computer set up i7,1080Ti, 32 gb mem I am getting no less than 60 fps (monitor limits) whenever I play single player.

Issue is the slight sometimes never other times more occasional stutter spike jumps (don't know if it's the particular aircraft or not)

My question is will DCS installed on a Solid State Drive make the slight stutter spikes go away or is it DCS itslelf and solid state drives will really not change anything that is noticeable and the slight stuttering will remain.

Same system as yours but with i5. With SSD I still have occasional stuttering in online crowded servers, whilst in SP almost never. What I observed is that stuttering is high at the beginning of the session and then it goes away as soon as things get loaded into memory. If I quit DCS and start it again it looks like objects remain loaded and stuttering doesn't occur since the beginning. This behavior is pretty much consistent.

Intel Core i5-13600k 32GB ddr5 5.6GHz - RTX4080S 16GB - Thrustmaster T.16000M TWCS - Meta Quest 3 - Win10 Pro - My YT Channel

If you have one installed, move your DCS install over to the SSD and compare. You can just copy(cut)/paste and the only thing you have to do besides that is change your desktop icons so they point to the new location.

If you don't have one, maybe it's time to get one.

Will it take away the stutters? Hard to say, if these are loading stutters, they will be greatly reduced, if another reason then it will not help.

Tip: To move applications you can also use this little tool: App Mover

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I have other drives that are SSDs. It's just that DCS is not on one of those(those SSDs contain other flight sims that benifit more from being on solid state drives)

I just don't want to re-install DCS onto a SSD (my DCS is about 180 gb) and see no difference or very little difference in micro stuttering being fixed.

SSD is the biggest single improvement I ever made for DCS and other games. I simply don't get stuttering, (SP).

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I just don't want to re-install DCS onto a SSD (my DCS is about 180 gb)

You don't have to re-install, just move it to give it a try. Moving it from one location to another is enough, no re-install needed.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

There are many many post in this forum stating that moving DCS onto a SSD cured their stutter.

You may not forget, A HDD may not be the only reason why one has stutter !!! SSD's can only fix slow HDD caused stutter but nothing else.

Dont mix apples and oranges

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I set up my X-Plane 11 and Prepare 3d v4 onto SSDs to eliminate micro stutters and guess what there is still some micro stuttering maybe not as much as a mechanical HD but still present.

Obviously the only way to try is to put it on a SSD. The best way is simply copy and paste and set desktop icon to the SSD version is that all?

I gotta say though it's funny that so many Youtubers showing this or that about Flight Sims have absolutely horrible stuttering during their videos and they carry on as if all is well. Really?

Edited by surfcandy

The best way is simply copy and paste and set desktop icon to the SSD version is that all?

Yes.

I have a decent computer set up i7,1080Ti, 32 gb mem I am getting no less than 60 fps (monitor limits) whenever I play single player.

Issue is the slight sometimes never other times more occasional stutter spike jumps (don't know if it's the particular aircraft or not)

Are you using adaptive refresh (G-Sync/Freesync)? If not, you should, because it's the only way to get this sim to run smoothly.

Any time something happens in the sim, your CPU has to do some calculations, and the next frame comes later than it normally would, even at high framerates. So, the monitor drops a bunch of frames while it's re-acquiring the video signal from your graphics card.

G-Sync/Freesync is the only way to iron it out, and make it subjectively unnoticeable most of the time. It's the only thing I've ever used that ever made any significant improvement.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!