Some Questions About the Radar

CypherS

I was reading up about the hornet's radar and a couple of questions came up:

- The hornet apparently has something called velocity search mode, for long-range search. Is this going to be added?

- Does the hornet have something similar to the Viper's SAM mode(where it can soft lock and launch on a target without giving an STT warning)? I don't think LTWS can guide a missile currently. It just goes pitbull

- Is there a difference between radar standby and silent modes?

I think velocity search is just RWS mode that we have.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think velocity search is just RWS mode that we have.

No it's not.

VS is a velocity search only-mode, which gives a azimuth and closure-rate radar picture. This is similar to the PD Search mode of the F-14's AWG-9.

It should get it a some point, and yes it gives better "range" due to not having to compute the actual range of the target.

As for SAM: I think the closest we have in the Hornet is the LTWS or TWS, but someone more knowledgeable might correct me.

SIL vs normal: Silent cuts radar emission, so you won't get any returns.

Edited by toilet2000

I was reading up about the hornet's radar and a couple of questions came up:

- The hornet apparently has something called velocity search mode, for long-range search. Is this going to be added?

- Does the hornet have something similar to the Viper's SAM mode(where it can soft lock and launch on a target without giving an STT warning)? I don't think LTWS can guide a missile currently. It just goes pitbull

- Is there a difference between radar standby and silent modes?

1. Would be nice if it was added for complete-ness but I don't think it gets much use irl as it's pretty much just a "legacy" mode leftover from older radars.

2. TWS

3. SIL has some extra functions, for example ACTIVE which scans one frame then it goes back to silent, and there's also some passive radar stuff that's not implemented afaik.

- VS search was mentioned by some of the ED staff more than a year ago. So maybe? I'd rather them finish up on RWS, LTWS, and TWS before moving to a mode no one will use.

- IMO SAM mode should give a STT indication.. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251079&page=2

But to answer your question, SAM works differently than TWS/LTWS. But if all you really want to know is if the Hornet will have the ability to launch AIM-120's without alerting the target, then yes. It will gain this capability when it gets full TWS. (LTWS is like a low quality TWS for RWS mode)

- Silent wont restart your radar. Your radar mode and settings wont go away. you also still get data link tracks. So use SIL..

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

- Hopefully, ED responds with news if the VS mode is going to be implemented at some point

- But TWS seems to reduce scan volume, the appealing thing about SAM is that the entire scan range is available before bugging a target, and only after selecting a target does the scan area reduce

- So SIL keeps radar settings and displays tracks from DL. What kind of passive stuff is there?

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

- Hopefully, ED responds with news if the VS mode is going to be implemented at some point

- But TWS seems to reduce scan volume, the appealing thing about SAM is that the entire scan range is available before bugging a target, and only after selecting a target does the scan area reduce

- So SIL keeps radar settings and displays tracks from DL. What kind of passive stuff is there?

Well there is a reason why you have each radar mode.

VS for finding targets at the longest range.

RWS for identifying targets at range with maximal SA.

TWS for engaging a target (or multiple) while maintaining situation awareness.

STT to engage a single target with as detailed a track as possible (for fast maneuvering targets or closer ranges).

Once you bug a target in either SAM or TWS your scan volume is decreased.

Well there is a reason why you have each radar mode.

VS for finding targets at the longest range.

RWS for identifying targets at range with maximal SA.

TWS for engaging a target (or multiple) while maintaining situation awareness.

STT to engage a single target with as detailed a track as possible (for fast maneuvering targets or closer ranges).

Once you bug a target in either SAM or TWS your scan volume is decreased.

Does the Hornet have full scan range in TWS before bugging a target?

Theoretically the RANGE in TWS is identical to RWS. The scan VOLUME is different, depending on bars setting.

2B = full 80° azimuth to each side

4B = up to 40°

6B = up to 20°

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

The one advantage of VS I believe is it has the best possible range. So if you're really trying to find targets as far out as possible you could try VS. otherwise yeah not very useful, it doesn't even generate trackfiles meaning you wouldn't get altitude or direction information generated. Possibly would create angle-only trackfiles so you'd still see a HAFU on the SA but it'd have no range info, just an azimuth, like a jammed target.

I don't see why we wouldn't get VS mode eventually, it's one of the 3 primary radar modes even if probably the least useful.

So the answer to that is no with a caveat.

If you want full coverage while still generating track files you have LTWS which will generate track files on RWS targets which when you are ready to engage you can select TWS.

The one advantage of VS I believe is it has the best possible range

It´s been a while ago... but isn´t VS primarily meant to find targets closing in on you, assuming the target with the highest approach velocity beeing the most dangerous one? I remember to use this mode a lot in a well known F-16 sim in younger days. I´d love to have it in the Hornet...

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

It´s been a while ago... but isn´t VS primarily meant to find targets closing in on you, assuming the target with the highest approach velocity beeing the most dangerous one? I remember to use this mode a lot in a well known F-16 sim in younger days. I´d love to have it in the Hornet...
Yeah this would also be a benefit. Of course you could just look at the speed and direction of the trackfiles in TWS/RWS, but VS would present it most intuitively. This is at the downside of not creating trackfiles with distance in VS though

Yeah this would also be a benefit. Of course you could just look at the speed and direction of the trackfiles in TWS/RWS, but VS would present it most intuitively. This is at the downside of not creating trackfiles with distance in VS though

Very true. I used VS in combination with AWACS picture reports. When there were a lot of targets on the screen getting closer and i wanted to find out if there are some realy flying towards me. With RWS you had to lock on targets to see heading and speed, since there was no DL and no LTWS simulated back then. I found VS to be a good way to separate these targets without having to lock on to each of them prior to engagment and still have full scan range/width. However, i dont know if VS makes much sense with LTWS available but it would be nice to have it for completeness.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2