Carrier development Q&A

dawgie79

I was just curious, and I hope a representative from ED (Wags, or NineLine for example) could answer this:

- How was it as a military aircraft simulator developer to develop a ship, no less a carrier, in such detail, compared to fighterjets? I mean this in terms of the information gathering process, or for example a different simulator model for boats in stead of jets. Was it harder, or not, or just different? What was the hardest thing to develop?

- How was it to develop moving people and gestures, and to make it so it looks natural? I'm guessing this was the first time for you as ED? And did this experience you've now gathered from developing this, make you consider more of this in the future, for example on airfields, or the pilots or groundtroops and such?

- How did you test all the aspects of the module? Did, or do, you also have SME's like the ones assisting in the development of aircraft?

Many thanks in advance for answering, which I hope you indeed will, am really curious! :smartass:

Edited by dawgie79

@dawgie79: ED used motion capture sw/hw so that real people made the moves and those were captured by the software/cameras/sensors.

I'd make educated guess that carrier is easier (difficulty wise) to make since the aircraft FM is the hardest part and what takes most of the dev time for aircraft.

Another big challenge is the whole 3d model and textures but it's kinda similar to aircraft - just in a bigger scale.

I'd say AI path coding and behavior is one of the harder parts too.

Surely ED uses the help of many SMEs, in part the same as for Navy aircraft.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria