[WIP] Helicopters are invisible to JF-17 radar

GIGA_HORSE

No matter how I tried, in every radar mode, nothing happens. Interestingly though the SD-10 sees helicopters and is able to lock on after release if I am close enough
Try set your radar to medium PRF. Its working now.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Seems that notch isn't implemented as on other aircraft(right/wrong implementation?) - which i absolutely love btw, none of that hiding bu****** :D.

So instead of having target flight direction in mind it's just based purely on speed. It seems to be around 120 knots, if anything flyes above it it can be spoted, even in the notch. If it's below it will not get picked up, even against the sky

LOOK MA, NO HOOK

Seems that notch isn't implemented as on other aircraft(right/wrong implementation?) - which i absolutely love btw, none of that hiding bu****** :D.

So instead of having target flight direction in mind it's just based purely on speed. It seems to be around 120 knots, if anything flyes above it it can be spoted, even in the notch. If it's below it will not get picked up, even against the sky

Helicopters can't be in the notch because of their rotor

Try set your radar to medium PRF. Its working now.

it doesn't work, i've tried. If you can, please upload a video demonstrating how to do it.

The only way I've managed to have a helicopter show up on my radar or lock it up is after I fired an SD-10 at it Mad dog style, so idk if SD-10 is broadcasting to mothership or what, but unless I fire an SD-10 first within a visual range there is no way I can have it show up on the radar

it doesn't work, i've tried. If you can, please upload a video demonstrating how to do it.

The only way I've managed to have a helicopter show up on my radar or lock it up is after I fired an SD-10 at it Mad dog style, so idk if SD-10 is broadcasting to mothership or what, but unless I fire an SD-10 first within a visual range there is no way I can have it show up on the radar

Hi, I've tried to reproduce what I've done before but couldnt. Not sure what I did but pretty sure it was on medium PRF in TWS mode.

I'll try again when i have time.

this is a long living painful issue in DCS. radars in other modules also cant see slow flying helis, even though a heli with running rotors should be visible from 100 miles away even if sitting on the ground, as its doppler shift is massive in all directions.

perhaps not jf-17 issue. hornet does the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

For some balance reason, Helos in dcs is hard to pick up by radar if they're not moving too fast. The doppler shift of the rotor may not currently considered in DCS, the HELOs DO notch the radar. So it's not the JF17's radar problem, U can encounter the same problem with APG-73 and APG-68.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

Actually the Hornet has no problem like the Jeff has. I made simple mission with helo speed with 86 knots and the Hornet could track it but Jeff did not. I'm aware of radar cant track helo below 70 knots but this helo was on 86 knots.

And what balance you're talking about ?

Actually the Hornet has no problem like the Jeff has. I made simple mission with helo speed with 86 knots and the Hornet could track it but Jeff did not. I'm aware of radar cant track helo below 70 knots but this helo was on 86 knots.

And what balance you're talking about ?

So why is the helo invisible below 70 kts on APG73? Because they entered the notch filter which they shouldn't.

Even the helo is hoving, the fast rotating blades on their head are still creating obvious doppler shifting with patterns. This doppler shift should be detected / tracked by morden A2A radar.

Can U do this now in DCS ? No, U couldn't. That's the balance to give the helo players some cover.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

AeriaGloria is right, it's not about balance, it's about DCS not modeling rotor blade doppler reflections. The unintentional side effect is that a helicopter flying slow and low is almost invisible to radar because only the body of the aircraft is taken into account.

• 2 months later...

There are clear accounts of rotor blades shining bright on doppler returns, they are literally huge bats whacking energy in all directions. Unfortunatley, the DCS filter looks at the aircraft speed and disregards the rotor effect.This should be fixed across the board in DCS.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *