Best method to install mods?

Hey guys

I'd like to start installing some mods, but am unsure of the best way to do so - should I use the method stickied at the top of the forum, or use JGSME? If the latter is best, I think I read somewhere that this has some compatibility issues?

Also, exactly which folders should I back up before doing any mods so that I can restore my game perfectly if things screw up (I'm using a Steam version of the game).

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I prefer OvGME to mod my DCS, OvGME (may be JSGME too) make backup of original folders to restore them when uninstall a mod.

Edit: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=182827&highlight

Edit_2: link for OvGME https://github.com/Have-Purple/ovgme/releases/download/1.7.4/ovgme_1_7_4_setup_64.zip

Edited by Morpheus

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

I have used both JSGME and OvGME. IMO OvGME has an advantage in that some mods MUST be installed in the main DCS folder instead of SAVED GAMES. With OvGME one can create a mod configuration for each of the 2 mod install methods.

And you need only ONE mod folder for all your DCS (Release AND Beta if you have them) you save place on your hard disk :thumbup:

FOX-2 2021_ED_1.PNG

I have used both JSGME and OvGME. IMO OvGME has an advantage in that some mods MUST be installed in the main DCS folder instead of SAVED GAMES. With OvGME one can create a mod configuration for each of the 2 mod install methods.

As somebody unfamiliar with modding, are you able to explain what you said? Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to modding this game.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

99.99% of the time-

Most mods are installed outside of the main install and go into the Saved Games folder.

These add content like Liveries, ground, land and sea community made content.

Stuff that goes in the main install are stuff that edit content like the scenery mods from Mustang and Starway. With these when you update the game they are moved into a separate folder and the original/new files replace them.

With the OVGME and JSGME you can install and uninstall mods with ease.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

99.99% of the time-

Most mods are installed outside of the main install and go into the Saved Games folder.

These add content like Liveries, ground, land and sea community made content.

Stuff that goes in the main install are stuff that edit content like the scenery mods from Mustang and Starway. With these when you update the game they are moved into a separate folder and the original/new files replace them.

With the OVGME and JSGME you can install and uninstall mods with ease.

Thanks for the explanation. So it seems I need to use both JSGME and OVGME?

OvGME was made to be a replacement, with more functionality, for JSGME, which hasn't been updated in years. The guy who was putting out OvGME has since stopped updating it, but it's still a much better tool overall than JSGME, so at this point there's really no reason to bother with JSGME.