Model damage to targets (vehicles, buildings ...)

Legolasindar

First sorry for my english.

I have played many simulators over my life, and almost none of the goals can be simply damaged but not destroyed. The two options are the goals, whether vehicles, buildings etc. Is be alive or be killed.

I would like to see in this simulator, which so far I have high expectations for it, a system of damage to the targets.

For example, a vehicle could be immobilized, could be damaged weapons, it could damage the search system you use, or could become injured or dead crew.

It would not be necessary to spend lots of cannon ammunition or a missile to destroy a target completely, alone with a burst of cannon could be partially disabled.

We will put an example practiced.

Suppose we have exhausted all our missiles, and there are only a few bullets in the gun, and before us an SA-8 Gecko. In most simulators could not destroy that shielded, but if this system is included damage, we could shoot the few bullets we remain at your radar and let his tracking system and pointed the objectives unusable. As we see is a big difference.

Thank you and apologize again for my English, I had to use a translator online.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

Your english is fine, we can understand what you're saying :)

As you may be aware, the damage model of ground targets in Lomac has not been very advanced, as I haven't seen or heard anything about it being improved for DCS I have to assume that it will stay the same for the time being :(

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I think that won't be implemented to nearest DCS series. Implement the example a tire puncture or cutworm break (I don't know military word of 'cutworm') is hard - it is much aspect why just now tire must break or something else. If we wanna have full modelled and breaks we have to get and do a full example Tanguska set - then it will be very realistic... Advanced Ground Model would be extra but it takes much much time to do that like everybody wanna to be. But a simple tire break or cannon malfunction why not :D I hope that now in Black Shark wreck won't be only black hole with some spokes... I would like to see a real wrecks (even in RTS game Total Annihilation wrecks were really wrecks and reminded in most a working unit)

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

I have been asking this just as much as I was bugging them for infantry. However, so far they don't seem to care much about "TARGET" damage modelling.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

They care plenty, just can't implement everything at once. Given that the core DCS engine is and will continue to be continually updated, you can expect to see continous improvements in many areas of the simulator. As you can tell by the AI piece in the simulator overview here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/index.php?end_pos=950&scr=default&lang=en#p4

... the AI is definitely getting its share of attention already and I don't expect this will change.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

yeah but Evil.... what I say is this though...the whole part of doing a mission in combat sims is to blow up your target (attack missions) and then you want the satisfaction of the nice damage effects, fire and cool debris flying all over for all the work you have done evading sams and so on.

The ironic thing is the aircraft have this nice damage models...but lol...its the only damage we DON"t want to see as we don't want to get shot down. The damage we love to see is a shilka going up in flames while its armor plates spew around it and so on. Basically a tanks turrent and some pieces of metal flying up. A more realistic fire effect and explosion effects (especially colour and smoke). IL2 : PF is a great place to start learning from. ;)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Il2 PF didn't have that good of a ground vehicle damage visual effects (it has armor facings but the vehicles were always either dead or alive), although their aircraft damage model was unmatched. The FirePower addon for CFS3 had excellent visual effects dependent on what is being damaged but still not up to the level wanted by the topic. Only ground simulators have that level of component simulations as far as I know. I would however expect it to improve since the first three aircraft being implemented in DCS are all ATG platforms.

When I refer to a system of good damage to the vehicles I am not talking about graphics or visual effects. I only wish that a vehicle could stop moving, or move the turret ... It is not necessary that this is modele with visual effects.

Moreover, in response to EvilBivol comment that we are so accustomed to a simulator after being released, and despite the good intentions that the development team had the producer cancel their maintenance, we looked at all the new simulators with wary eyes. DCS wants to launch a series of simulators compatible if high quality, and I feel great and I am very excited idea, but this is not the first company that has been dear to do something similar and at the end by one thing or another has not led out. That is why I prefer clear that everything possible in this BS if other titles not ever see the light.

On the other hand only wish to express my ideas and suggestions, and among all the ideas of all assured that any convinces you and adds this BS or subsequent titles.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cavallers del Cel - Comunintat Catalana de Simulació http://www.cavallersdelcel.cat

I'd really like to see a component damage model for ground stuff in DCS but being a flight sim at the moment the best we can hope for is prettier effects. Although I do believe adding in simple components to vehicles (wheel, track, weapon, engine, sensors, crew compartment, ammo, fuel) could be achieved at some point.

I'd really like to see a component damage model for ground stuff in DCS but being a flight sim at the moment the best we can hope for is prettier effects. Although I do believe adding in simple components to vehicles (wheel, track, weapon, engine, sensors, crew compartment, ammo, fuel) could be achieved at some point.

Could be achieved, but bloody hell it'd be time consuming . . . . how many vehicles are there in the game now?

A new 3D model and damage model for all of them . . . . *wince*.

It'd be fantastic to see, would really add to the game - but it'd take quite some time to do.

I wonder if polygonal damage modeling would be easier to implement, i.e. that each polygon of the model is individually destroyable and can have individual properties.

So if you for instance shoot at a tanks left side you could end up destroying wheels, tracks or whatever by damaging the correct polygon/polygon group enough, it would consequently be replaced with "gibs" that would fly away based on the physics modeling.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

Given that the core DCS engine is and will continue to be continually updated, you can expect to see continous improvements in many areas
And I will continue to use the word continue as the conversation continues to continually unfold.

Hadn't realized my own words.

Anyway, everyone is welcome to pitch in their ideas and wishes, that's what the forum is for. In turn, we will answer about what and when is likely to happen to the best of our knowledge and/or ability to talk publically.

ED is already putting in a large effort at improving the AI, although for now this has more to do with AI targeting and engagement logic. An advanced AI vehicle damage model is definitely something to address as well, but right now is lower on the priority list than other elements of the AI (the mentioned targeting and engagement logic, functionality with the new ME, etc). Whether there will be time to address this in the BS release or not I don't know yet, though I myself would guess not and therefore leave that for the post-BS improvements to the sim.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

I wonder if polygonal damage modeling would be easier to implement, i.e. that each polygon of the model is individually destroyable and can have individual properties.

So if you for instance shoot at a tanks left side you could end up destroying wheels, tracks or whatever by damaging the correct polygon/polygon group enough, it would consequently be replaced with "gibs" that would fly away based on the physics modeling.

that IMO is too complicated for the current situation. Like that means each vehicle should be built up of components that have their own properties. So basically program logic like "weapon hit object:tracks, then vehicle=stop" kinda thingy. That means there will be tons of code for each vehicle alone. Considering the 100 or so little vehicles, objects in game..that is just insanity.

SO at this stage.. PRETTY effects is what we can ask. I don't want the object to throw away just its turrent in the same poly detail. I am asking for just random dust spewing....random polys or texture planes just flying around when hit by a missile.

Perfect example: the ammo depot in FC. see how it breaks apart. However, the effect of EXPLOSION and fire needs to be tweaked as well. THe best source to look at will be the explosions in FPS games I guess (since many ppl say Il2 isn't that good enough...while I find it waaaaay better than lockon's).

I hope not to have offended with my words. My intention is not to belittle their work, it is very good that is a tough job, and that there were many things that were not possible have them ready for the BS. I also choose to include the various technical details and move slowly in technology simulator.

What I believe in my duty as a user and avid amateur aircraft is asking everything possible to obtain the best simulator far:megalol:

I never had the intention to undermine your work, and I think that much of a sense of my phrases is lost with the translator who used online.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]