NSEQ Navigation

LastRifleRound

Could anyone shed more light on NSEQ navigation? I read the NATOPS, and it briefly mentions the setting when discussing EHSD nav functions, but refers to another document for more information that doesn't appear to be online.

I saw Zeus's post about what it looks like, and I don't get what it's for. It shows ingress and egress points that look to be a linear (sequential) series of points.

Does anyone know how this works and what it's used for?

I'm not sure and I'm no expert, but I thought it is supposed to display all waypoints on EHSD, not just the currently selected one.

But maybe someone knows for sure.

i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria

A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa

I don't think that"s quite it. Nseq appears to be more involved than this with ingree/egress options, color coding, etc

NSEQ displays the Number sequence of all the route waypoints 1, 2 3, etc. on the EHSD map and (.) for the active waypoint.

AFAIK Route lines, ingress/egress colour coding, threat circles, etc. are "drawn"/stored on map overlay data in the same way a pilot might draw them on a paper chart.

AFAIK map overlays, etc. are created using planning software, etc. prior to takeoff and not edited/created in the aircraft.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

NSEQ displays the Number sequence of all the route waypoints 1, 2 3, etc. on the EHSD map and (.) for the active waypoint.

AFAIK Route lines, ingress/egress colour coding, threat circles, etc. are "drawn"/stored on map overlay data in the same way a pilot might draw them on a paper chart.

AFAIK map overlays, etc. are created using planning software, etc. prior to takeoff and not edited/created in the aircraft.

Ok I think I get it. We'll have to wait and see what Zeus has up his sleeves I suppose.

NSEQ Navigation

The NSEQ function allows us to set up an ingress and egress string to a target that is depicted on the moving map. We set it up on planning computers prior to flight. You can have it set up so that it auto sequences through the waypoints as you fly over them as a workload reducer when you're flying low altitude and mission cross check time is at a premium.

Edited by Fangsout

Yes, overlays are prepared in preflight on our planning computers. The latest software allows us to create overlays in the jet also but it's not something you want to be doing a lot.

Yes, overlays are prepared in preflight on our planning computers. The latest software allows us to create overlays in the jet also but it's not something you want to be doing a lot.

Probably more useful for Threat ranges, Areas to avoid, Known Battle lines etc.

Have had a brief look a the software. Would be nice for a very simplified version in the ME for us.

Probably more useful for Threat ranges, Areas to avoid, Known Battle lines etc.

Have had a brief look a the software. Would be nice for a very simplified version in the ME for us.

Exactly. Especially with the addition of Link 16, you can throw down a threat ring over a known pop-up surface to air threat to help you avoid it.

A simplified version would be great, however the EHSD and pilot to vehicle interface right now is so rudimentary it would be less useful.

One thing I use a lot in the actual plane is that we can throw a course line through the designation and we have a data block that tells you your abeam distance from the courseline. This helps immensely when trying to put the airplane in the right piece of sky to roll in on a target using the weaponeering we did on the ground.

Exactly. Especially with the addition of Link 16, you can throw down a threat ring over a known pop-up surface to air threat to help you avoid it.

A simplified version would be great, however the EHSD and pilot to vehicle interface right now is so rudimentary it would be less useful.

One thing I use a lot in the actual plane is that we can throw a course line through the designation and we have a data block that tells you your abeam distance from the courseline. This helps immensely when trying to put the airplane in the right piece of sky to roll in on a target using the weaponeering we did on the ground.

I think the course line is automatically drawn in some situations, such as a TOO designation correct? Are you in touch with RAZBAM at all?

This would be a super useful addition.

Acknowledging that our DCS N/A Harrier simulation is already a bit of a 'smear' rather than a snapshot in time, I still want to ask the question:

Is this mission-planning / mission data display modeling systems and functions present on the Harrier circa 2007 (or whenever), or added more recently? Software upgrades, or more substantial changes?

Curious, and I greatly appreciate the input from knowledgeable sources here!

i7 9700k | GTX 1080 | 32 gb | X55 + ProFlight pedals | TrackIR | Win10

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria

A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18C | F-16C | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | Ka50 | FC3 | CA | SC | Kiowa

Thanks for your input! :thumbup:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Is this mission-planning / mission data display modeling systems and functions present on the Harrier circa 2007 (or whenever), or added more recently?

TL;DR:

AFAIK a mission-planning system has been present since the AV-8B was able to display a moving map i.e. it's a core requirement of that feature.

Detail

The work flow documented in 1998 - ADA347231 (Approved for public release; distribution unlimited)

• Moving Map Composer (DEC Alphastation 255/233) - Scans charts, CD's, etc to create map on CD(s)

• Mission Planning System (Tactical laptop ?) uses map CD(s) to put Mission Planning data onto the DSU used in AV-8B.

AFAIK the map overlays are added to DTU by the MPS at the same time the Moving Map data is added.

It's almost certain both hardware and software have been upgraded since.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The NSEQ function allows us to set up an ingress and egress string to a target that is depicted on the moving map. We set it up on planning computers prior to flight. You can have it set up so that it auto sequences through the waypoints as you fly over them as a workload reducer when you're flying low altitude and mission cross check time is at a premium.

If it auto sequences a route to a target, and is pre planned, how does this differ from the sequential flight plan? Why did you use this over just having the ingress/egress as part of the flight plan?

• Like 1

I've been asking for this one for a while. I think we'll see it eventually, it's mentioned in the training mission on guns/rockets when they teach you how to run attack profiles.

If it auto sequences a route to a target, and is pre planned, how does this differ from the sequential flight plan? Why did you use this over just having the ingress/egress as part of the flight plan?

You can also set up an NSEQ string in the jet, but it's usually only done preflight. The jet can hold a bunch of waypoints that we use for everything from runways to targets to points over the ground we use for course rules to get into ranges.

So lets say for instance that my usual waypoints for navigation are 1-35, but the special ingress-target-egress routing is 36-45 and emergency diverts are 46-55, I can set them up in the NSEQ string (non sequential as in not 1-55). Also, when I have an NSEQ string, the route shows up visually on the EHSD with a line between the points I've selected. I can manually toggle through the points which is useful if I decide to skip a point, or have it auto sequence.

I may not be using the NSEQ string until I FENCE in and descend into LAT and so it isnt clobbering up my display and I can navigate to things not in the NSEQ string. The EHSD gives us time to go to the next point, our command speed time on the UFCP shows us what speed we need to fly to make our TOT, and real time is displayed in the HUD. All of these tools help us to ensure our timing is perfect for our attack.

You can also set up an NSEQ string in the jet, but it's usually only done preflight. The jet can hold a bunch of waypoints that we use for everything from runways to targets to points over the ground we use for course rules to get into ranges.

So lets say for instance that my usual waypoints for navigation are 1-35, but the special ingress-target-egress routing is 36-45 and emergency diverts are 46-55, I can set them up in the NSEQ string (non sequential as in not 1-55). Also, when I have an NSEQ string, the route shows up visually on the EHSD with a line between the points I've selected. I can manually toggle through the points which is useful if I decide to skip a point, or have it auto sequence.

I may not be using the NSEQ string until I FENCE in and descend into LAT and so it isnt clobbering up my display and I can navigate to things not in the NSEQ string. The EHSD gives us time to go to the next point, our command speed time on the UFCP shows us what speed we need to fly to make our TOT, and real time is displayed in the HUD. All of these tools help us to ensure our timing is perfect for our attack.

Very cool, I understand now. Is there allowed to be more than one NSEQ string?

• 8 months later...

Quick question for the Harrier experts please. I have set a route of 9 wpts with 6 as the target. I have put in the ingress as far as 6 with the egress thereafter, then unselected ‘data’ and selected ‘Nseq’ - colour coded route appears as expected. So far so good.

what I want to next is ‘Desig’ waypoint 6 as target and input a TOT. When I select ‘Desig’ it designates every waypoint between me and the target with TOT seeming to be relative to the active (next) waypoint. I must be doing something wrong and would appreciate a clue please.

PS happy to answer ur big Boeing questions in return :).

what I want to next is ‘Desig’ waypoint 6 as target and input a TOT. When I select ‘Desig’ it designates every waypoint between me and the target with TOT seeming to be relative to the active (next) waypoint. I must be doing something wrong and would appreciate a clue please.

AFAIK TOT in the AV-8B is an "as the crow flies" time (= distance/ground speed) to the "current" active waypoint i.e. it doesn't expect or account for intermediate waypoints.

Quick question for the Harrier experts please. I have set a route of 9 wpts with 6 as the target. I have put in the ingress as far as 6 with the egress thereafter, then unselected ‘data’ and selected ‘Nseq’ - colour coded route appears as expected. So far so good.

PS happy to answer ur big Boeing questions in return :).

TOT is based on the destination point.

With NSEQ inactive, it means Direct-To the current waypoint.

With NSEQ active, either TERM or NSEQ modes, the TOT is based on the total distance from your current position to the destination point: the last waypoint in the TERM or INGR routes.

You must have NSEQ active BEFORE computing CS/T for TOT.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Hi Zeus. Thank you for your input - appreciate you taking the time. In my situation I had waypoint 6 at the end of INGR and NSEQ Was then activated, as you and the razbam YouTube guide describe. Waypoint 6 appeared at the correct place and was indicated by the change in colour of the ingress/out line - perfect and ‘as advertised’.

Seems the problem was I was designating the target waypoint too early, and before it became the active waypoint (following the instructions of a popular YouTube channel...), which caused the TOT to become screwed up - USER error and no prob with the module.

I can now co-ordinate precision timed attacks in combo with my Viggen mates - good news :)). Really good module, thanks.

cheers.