Navigation Issues

Goose12

I am having a hard time navigating to waypoints with the F15.

I purchased the Georgian War campaign and on the first mission I am having the following problems.

1. Can't change waypoints

2. ADI and HSI disagree but neither guide me to the waypoint or the route

3. Line in Hud doesn't seem to do anything. Its always off to the left side even if I am on route to waypoint or off route.

4. Asked Wingman to navigate to route. While he gets on route, the HSI shows we are off route even though Kneeboard clearly shows we are perfectly en route.

5. Once on route to waypoint autopilot wont hold course.

Super frustrating as I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I am having a hard time navigating to waypoints with the F15.

I purchased the Georgian War campaign and on the first mission I am having the following problems.

1. Can't change waypoints

Cycle NAV mode with "1" so the bottom right corner of HUD reads

1 NAV

N xx.x

x mins

Change waypoints with

LCtrl + ` = Next Waypoint/Airfield/Target

LShift + ` = Previous Waypoint/Airfield/Target

As you change waypoints, the distance/direction on the HSI and on the HUD should change to match the selected waypoint.

2. ADI and HSI disagree but neither guide me to the waypoint or the route

I would need to see a video or more details.

• The ADI's vertical bar is a flight director telling you how to steer (roll) to get get back onto the ground track.

• The HSI bar shows your distance/angle to the planned ground track.

Both are fairly sensitive.

3. Line in Hud doesn't seem to do anything. Its always off to the left side even if I am on route to waypoint or off route.

The line through the FPM is a repeat of the ADI steering cue and guides you to the ground track of the selected waypoint (which may or may not be what you want).

The line "I" on the heading tape, is where the waypoint is and what you line up with the ^ to fly directly to the selected waypoint.

7131BF13589F659594DF6E32EAC20B22EFCEDEF4

4. Asked Wingman to navigate to route. While he gets on route, the HSI shows we are off route even though Kneeboard clearly shows we are perfectly en route.

Would need more detail or a video, both HSI and ADI are fairly sensitive.

5. Once on route to waypoint autopilot wont hold course.

The autopilot is Attitude and Altitude capable, AFAIK it does not follow the route or hold a heading.

Super frustrating as I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Are you new to DCS or just to the F-15C, have you flown the Su-25T or similar to learn the basics ?

Note that unlike the Su-25T, the F-15C does not have Airbase ID's so the only way to know if you've selected the right airbase is to check if the HSI's distance and course matches your chosen runway/airbase.

This is a F-15C getting started guide on Steam

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329617142

DCS F-15C Manual (Checklists start on p139)

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/250300/manuals/F-15C_DCS_Flaming_Cliffs_Flight_Manual_EN.pdf

Mudspike F-15C Combat Guide for Beginners

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

An incomplete list of keybinds

Needed for Start Up

===================

RShift + L = Electrical Power

L = cockpit instrument lights

Ctrl + C = close/open canopy

RAlt + Home = Start Left ENG

RCtrl + Home = Start Right ENG

Right Ctrl + L = Navigation Lights

RAlt + L = Gear/Taxi Lights Near/Far/OFF

RAlt + RCtrl + L = Anti-collision Lights

W = Wheel Brakes

S = Nose Wheel Steering Range

Needed for Take-off

===================

# (uk), \ (usa) = com's menu - "F1=Request Taxi, Request Takeoff"

1 = select navigation mode NAV / ILSN

LShift + F = Flaps Dn

F = Flaps Up

G = Landing Gear Up/Dn

Ctrl + ` = cycle waypoints, or cycle airfields when in Return/ILS mode nav mode

Shift + ` = previous waypoint/airfield

The old F-15C Navigation Tutorial edited for 2.5.6

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2aqeo14nfshipv/F-15C%20-%20Ramp%20Start%20and%20Navigation%20300m%20Low%20Level%2C%202_5_6.miz?dl=0

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Super helpful thank you. For some reason after restarting DCS and restarting the mission everything lined up.

I knew basic navigation principles and was able to do other missions with other planes that required navigating to waypoints. For some reason this mission wasn't working at the the time.

One note is I wasn't expecting the F15 autopilot to navigate to waypoints but I was expecting to hold altitude or attitude but it definitely doesn't do either.

This is across all missions and multiplayer.

One note is I wasn't expecting the F15 autopilot to navigate to waypoints but I was expecting to hold altitude or attitude but it definitely doesn't do either.

Go straight and level, leave the stick, press "A" (attitude hold), then "H" (altitude hold). Press "A" again to disengage or just move the stick. I'm not sure but can be bugged.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria