IFF(riggen frustrating)

Mr. Big.Biggs

Ok, so ventured again into a larger MP server. Still a noob so trying to pay attention and not F up. Catch the wing of another 14 and with his permission decide to tag along. Cruise along at about 20k feet when jester calls out 2 bogies dead ahead 54 miles. I see 2 chevrons heading my way on the scope, spread left and drop about 3000 feet. Lock up the northern guy. Check the F10, no friendlies visible. Punch off a 54 at about 36 miles and stay locked. Finally, I have to break low left as I can see his missile heading for my face. As I come back hot I see him flare and also now he is close in and a big red Id blob, clearly a bogie. I lock up a heater and let it rip. Kill!!!!(team ??????)

Apparently my Phoenix kept on going and hit an unseen friendly. Now instead of feeling like a hero, im getting the a$$hat calls on the radio.

Wtf are you supposed to do??? Short of driving into this guy? How can radar, and more importantly the F10 map miss a lurking friendly??

What am I missing.

Thanks

Ps, I did apologize which was graciously accepted and also hit the bogie with my heater!

I should add that it was not my wingman I hit ������

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I would enjoy the Tacview over a cup of tea and have a giggle to myself because it happens. Plus the Tacview is where you learn, without it, you didnt learn anything except you seem to not have SA to a good degree. Maybe. it's hypothetical. Get Tacview :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I don't understand,

what killed the teammate? the Fox2 or the Fox3?

My aim 54 after I broke lock to dodge the missle.

Would never had fired a fox 3 if I knew there was a friendly down range.

It just kept on going and going.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Yea IFF is difficult. Be careful with terms because "Bogie" means unknown enemy. "Bandit" is an enemy aircraft.

Also, IFF interrogation has a max range ( I can't remember what the max range for IFF interrogate off the top of my head. )

RIO can only IFF a target in TWS or STT modes. He wouldn't be able to IFF interrogate the target if he was still in RWS. It also takes him time to interrogate each target, he has to soft lock and tag each target friend or foe in TWS mode.

You can use AWACS callouts and the IFF info you get on data link, but I personally wouldn't rely on data link alone because you sometimes get false markers. It's good practice to have your RIO check your target with a quick STT lock, Jester will usually ID as friendly or bandit. Then you can tell him to break lock and go back to one of the scan modes (TWS/RWS)

When I fly CAP in the F14 I spend most of my time telling Jester to STT lock distant radar contacts so I can get a friend or foe readbacks from him.

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

I wouldn't worry. It was not on purpose. It wasn't serious event like tournament or anything since you could use F10. Check what you have in the gameplay options or what server forces - if it was F10 Fog of War you should not have seen the team member which you did not detect or wasn't sent to you by DL. If the guy was hiding in the weeds neither you nor the AWACS could see him so it's partialy his problem.

@NakedSquirrel: IFF is possible not only in TWS/STT

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4191541&postcount=10

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

So fog of war removes all friendly planes from the map or jus ones that technology wouldn’t normally see? There were other blue planes on the f10 map.

Interesting

Thanks

From manual: "FOG OF WAR. Only hostile units detected by friendly units are displayed." Haven't tested or used myself.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  VPC CDT-VMAX  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria