What are preconditions required for auto-hover to activate?

DmitriKozlowsky

I am so confused and frustrated by this function. I can hang in hover 20 meters off ground and it still refuses to activate.

Obviously, RTFM, is not doing for me, as I cannot fathom auto-hover behavior. Sometimes it activates, other times it does not, and I cannot see any commonality.

It seems that RL helicopter pilots do not like FM of Gazelle. I am not a RL helo pilot, but I also have KA-50 and UH-1H.

First obvious is the cyclic. It is pressure based, not displacement based.Pressure is used to hover. But slight pressure to pitch fwd for flight does not sound right. I get odd front to back oscillation. Helo would stop, being brought to hover, cyclic is centered (meaning no pressure), wait a second and accelerates backwards.

I used to think that that was just how real Gazelle is and that is that. But now I am thinking that Polychop somehow messed up this control. Collective also has problems. I have a hard time finding collective neutral in hand hovering. Either the helo rises or it descends, regardless of how minute the collective is pulled or pushed down, once again think pressure not movement, there is no neutral power setting to hold height.

I am so confused and frustrated by this function. I can hang in hover 20 meters off ground and it still refuses to activate.

Obviously, RTFM, is not doing for me, as I cannot fathom auto-hover behavior. Sometimes it activates, other times it does not, and I cannot see any commonality.

It seems that RL helicopter pilots do not like FM of Gazelle. I am not a RL helo pilot, but I also have KA-50 and UH-1H.

First obvious is the cyclic. It is pressure based, not displacement based.Pressure is used to hover. But slight pressure to pitch fwd for flight does not sound right. I get odd front to back oscillation. Helo would stop, being brought to hover, cyclic is centered (meaning no pressure), wait a second and accelerates backwards.

I used to think that that was just how real Gazelle is and that is that. But now I am thinking that Polychop somehow messed up this control. Collective also has problems. I have a hard time finding collective neutral in hand hovering. Either the helo rises or it descends, regardless of how minute the collective is pulled or pushed down, once again think pressure not movement, there is no neutral power setting to hold height.

18Kmph in any direction

60mpm ascent/decent

30 degrees pitch/roll

Turn on the doppler to help you visualize it, a breeze for me after that.

Make sure you turn off force feedback, it was really twitchy for me before I did, and trim wouldn't work, that was sort of my clue.

Read through forums and others places here and there, all RL pilots that claim they have actually flown it says it's spot on, go figure.

Not a RL pilot myself, but after turning off FFB, it "feels" really good as a very light chopper compared to the other really heavy ones in DCS.

Just my 2 cents, enjoy.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

all RL pilots that claim they have actually flown it says it's spot on,

"all" .......No they don't.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

What in the bloody 'ell does one need cyclic trim in DCS: Gazelle. Cyclic motion is so minute, its not needed. I fly the gazelle with finger tips on cyclic, and palm resting on the stick palm rest.

I easily meet those limits. Yet the damn auto-hover won't kick in. Auto-pilot is ON, with all three channels ON, and set to ALT. NADIR is in Terre, Doppler mode is set.

What in the bloody 'ell does one need cyclic trim in DCS: Gazelle. Cyclic motion is so minute, its not needed. I fly the gazelle with finger tips on cyclic, and palm resting on the stick palm rest.

I easily meet those limits. Yet the damn auto-hover won't kick in. Auto-pilot is ON, with all three channels ON, and set to ALT. NADIR is in Terre, Doppler mode is set.

Apologies! I meant the magnetic break, for handsoff/doing other shit so I don't crash when I look away.

And you've turned off force feedback due DCS, not under special for Gazelle.

That's what got me.

Both FFB in Options/Misc and inside cabin Magnetic Brake are OFF.
Hmmm... Wish I could be more helpful.

I keep the magnetic break on, but that's just the way I fly.

When entering a hover, I have the controls indicator on, (to see if I've successfully entered auto hover), and repeatedly press the hover button when I'm close to be aligned on the VSI and artifical horizon.

If I do not have a perfect alignment, but press the button and still get into a hover, the helicopter will travel a bit while adjusting.

Have you made sure the Fuel Flow Lever is all the way at 100%, and not 99.9% or something? If you use an axis to control it then it's quite easy for it to stop before getting all the way to 100%.

99.9% on throttle instead of 100%. That is great to know. Thank you. In fact I do have fuel lever mapped to an axis(with modifier) on my X56 HOTAS. The modifier is prevent inadvertent fuel cutoff. However ever since I learned that Starter has to be left on for flight, accidental engine shutdown is not much an issue. Kind of weird that starter has to be left ON in Gazelle. In other DCS: helicopters starter is put into STBY after engine is started.

I bought the Heli bundle on the sale and this drove me crazy at first too, cause it was not in the startup tutorial or I missed it, don't know:

Please check the Gyro Panel.

Page 102 of the manual:

Note:

The autopilot needs the Gyro to be warmed and running to be able to perform.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jens

• 1 month later...

A couple of things:

* Check the gyros are not barber-poled

* Check SAS is enabled

* I found engaging the trimmer (not trim power) is required

* Accurate flying before engagement

I have had a couple of times where it failed to engage, but why I don't know.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."