Engines out and UHF radio

huppel

Hi,

I searched the forums already and found indeed that the UHF radio's are not supposed to work before the engines are running (at least one of them or use external power).

I was a bit surprised that loss of both engines in air (running out of fuel, indeed not smart but it does happen ;) ) means you also lose the radio's.

I did a bit of reading and aren't the radio's supposed to be fed by the essential bus in that case (on battery)? UFC is then not working but the channel selectors icw the radio's could be fed by the essential bus. Or is this indeed incorrect and is no generator -> not radio at all?

Best, Huppel

You *should* have COMM 1 on battery power only. Not sure if you’re stuck on the last frequency selected in the Hornet, but in the Rhino you are so I wouldn’t be surprised.

While they are so similar, it's surprising how vast the number of small (and sometimes large) systems differences exist between the two jets. In terms of both hardware and software (not counting the obvious tactical systems).

The Rhino is, for all intends and purposes, a different airplane. Most of the parts (about 90% afaik) are new. It wouldn't be a lie to give her a new designation.

I'm more surprised of the many systems that work more or less the same. But I guess that was a conscious decision, to make it easier for the pilots.

On topic. I always wondered, how the pilot would contact anybody in case of a loss of AC power. But if one radio can run on battery, even if you can't change anything, anymore, that question is answered.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by MadCat1381

The Rhino is, for all intends and purposes, a different airplane. Most of the parts (about 90% afaik) are new. It wouldn't be a lie to give her a new designation.

I'm more surprised of the many systems that work more or less the same. But I guess that was a conscious decision, to make it easier for the pilots.

On topic. I always wondered, how the pilot would contact anybody in case of a loss of AC power. But if one radio can run on battery, even if you can't change anything, anymore, that question is answered.

Thanks for the clarification.

The way it works in the hornet is if AC power is lost the pilot can talk to the last channel or freq selected and he/she can also switch GXMT ON (left rear panel) to transmit and receive in Guard.

Stay safe

Startup is similar.

Can't request permission to start up until the engines are started.

Should the radio be activated with battery only pre-startup?

Radio 1 will always be available at startup. You just have to know what frequency you want on channel 1 which is the one that will be activated on battery.

Stay safe