Forming pit building group in CA for BS

rocketeer

Been busy with work and preparation for out-of-state project. so haven't been able to work on my pit, unlike trigger who is going at lightspeed. Lucky fella.

I came across a big push button that is illuminated, which has the potential of making a nicer looking AP button than the one I DIYed earlier.

47b8dd10b3127cceb755b40258a400000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

It's light is yellow, didn't like it. And it requires 12V.

47b8dd10b3127cceb755b7ab189400000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

And I discovered this little guy.

47b8dd10b3127cceb755b568185600000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

Well, size doesn't matter. It's very bright, has a very wide angle of light, and is very cheap. Most LEDs I find, especially white LEDs, can cost $4-10 each, with only 10-20 degrees of dispersion. This guy is only 41 cents from Unique-leds.com. Model is superflux piranha. And it only needs 3V.

47b8da20b3127cceb7550bf0252200000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

So I put replaced the 12V lamp inside with this chap, and printed the desired letters. It has a removal cap.

47b8dd10b3127cceb755b447d9d100000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

This is how it looks in the dark.

47b8dd10b3127cceb755b44058e600000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

I like it whitish, just like the ones in the AP panel. Here are the rest.

47b8dd10b3127cceb755cb49184800000026100ScNmLhy4Ym

Most latched push buttons are small. Even the various ones from NKK. I like this size.

And for those of looking for bright, wide angled LEDs, these ones are definitely affordable and ideal for backlighting.

Damn ..! I like them both..! Whats the make and model of that switch? And the LED..? It runs on 3V, But What's the voltage drop and how many mAmps does it require?

• Like 1

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn ..! I like them both..! Whats the make and model of that switch? And the LED..? It runs on 3V, But What's the voltage drop and how many mAmps does it require?

For the LED, luminous 2000-3500 mcd, viewing angle 80-100 deg.

forward voltage 2.9 to 3.5V. forward current 35mA.

http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1876

For the switch, it says DLAIA12V, UND. LAB INC. LIST.

7.0 AMP. 250 VAC. 1/4HP. 125 VAC. Doesn't say anything else. I bought it at Anchor Electronics in Santa Clara. They have a website. i think it costs $2.50. If they don't take orders by phone or online, I can get it for you the next time I drop by the shop.

Just a pop in to say I'm still alive! I've been really busy moving/working on new house and now things are quieting down and I have a internet connection again. I havent really had a chance to start anything on pit controls/plans or otherwise but I do have my sim set up at its new home. I never forgot about the racks I mentioned as well. If I have a chance tonight I'll get on MSN tonight and chat with you and Cat!

Chris

Wow great stuff. I am working hard out of town now. and have little time to log on here. as for the racks. I can pick thim up on a weakend and take some over to my job near rocketeer's home where he can get thim from me.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I hear that lately I've been working hard myself we have many closures right now. Well I gotta get on MSN and get you guys my cell number my companies home base is at greenville rd and patterson pass rd. in livermore directly across from the labs. I have to come clean though and say that the better type of racks have been almost all spoken for (I took a 4 for my place) but we still have plaenty of the other type. The only difference in them is that the cheaper ones have two part corners (it just means they're more a pain to set up). I've been thinking pit enclosure the last few days but due to having our 8 yr old friend over couldnt put anything on paper. I'm going to get my grandfather involved since hes a great woodworker and full of knowledge that I should have been trying to learn years ago.

One thing I have decided is that my current sim room is going to have limited space so I need something that can have some sort of compact mode to save space. I'll have to post some pics of my sim room soon, I finally feel like I have something to feel proud about! Its set up for sim flying, racing, movies, and soon PS2. I also had the chance to hang my 5.1 speakers and I gotta tell you Logitech Z5500s are a helluva deal for a PC designed sound system, my little buddy and I tried out Harry Potter.............:thumbup:

So I'm still alive and kicking and thinking sims, Black Shark sim that is! I found that I threw out the plastic shell to my cannibilized logitech wingman joystick or so it seems so far well I get some pics up soon and catch ya on MSN!:pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

The croud is chanting:

WE NEED UDTATE PICS..! WE NEED UPDATE PICS..!

C'mon guys.. I know I haven't been available on MSN either lately.. (damn chick keeps bugging me EVERY TIME I log on.. I feel a restraining order is forthcoming LoL..!) But I'm dying to see how you all progress.!?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To Rocketeer: have you tried lightly sanding your superflux piranha LED's just ever so slightly with some fine sandpaper?

I tried it after reading somewhere that it gives a much softer, but still as bright, light for your panels and pushbuttons..?

BTW. I actually did it on ALL my led's just because it looks a helluva lot better.. It seems to spread the light more and.. eeeerr .... Well just try it.. if you want to that is.. No preasure..! LoL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Haven't taken any pics recently (sorry) but I'm still working away at it every weekend.

I'll see if i can get pics up later tonight. There isn't much to see as i've been making the small parts recently.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

no progress made here.. all extra money going to new PC. I ran 3Dmark06 and got a 1397 :doh:. Time to up grade big time. going to start from ground up. Not going to go for over kill just enough to run BS when/if it comes out.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

I hear ya I'm upgrading myself but I want it to count though so I'm not going down that road again for a while.

PS - srry for keeping so quiet lately this new house has been a lot of work aside from real work (the kind that pays) and my little sister was in a bad car accident a few weeks back in Modesto, shes still in ICU and all my time seems to be spent visiting. LOL I will get you those racks someday! Maybe I can invite you out to the house in Manteca to check out my set up, some ideas, get you those racks and drink some beer! :beer:

Maybe I can invite you out to the house in Manteca to check out my set up, some ideas, get you those racks and drink some beer! :beer:

I just switched to night/ swing shift working 4/10s I have pleanty of time to come out. My wife is going to see here mom in a few weaks I will have pleanty of free time. I havent had a beer in soooo long.

Im slowly buyint the parts for the new PC. The non important ones first. hard drive new key board, ram (that I can use in this PC till new one is ready :D) I have no problem driving down their as I get free fule for my truck :thumbup:

Time to start building!

Hi all! I've been contemplating building a flight sim for several years now and KA-50 Black Shark development has finally motivated me to begin the building process. I am in the planning stages for now and have a long want list for the project. I have got the construction concept figured out and will share its development as it progresses. I look forward to sharing my ideas and learning from this community of simmers. Talk to you later!

MadDog308

Hi all! I've been contemplating building a flight sim for several years now and KA-50 Black Shark development has finally motivated me to begin the building process. I am in the planning stages for now and have a long want list for the project. I have got the construction concept figured out and will share its development as it progresses. I look forward to sharing my ideas and learning from this community of simmers. Talk to you later!

MadDog308

Hi maddog, you are welcome to join our group. a few of us are building the black shark cockpit. three of us are in northern california, one in the East coast, one the Norway. sometimes we chat through MSN or teamspeak. lately CAT and I have been rather consumed by our day job. But the hardcore pit guru Triggerhappy is happy as ever building his fantastic pit, which is really coming into shape.

Which part of CA are you from? we'd like to share ideas and experiences with you, and the crazy fun of fussing of knobs and switches.

LOL same here consumed by work and hospital visits. I live in Manteca south of Stockton, have a temp simpit at the moment but havent gotten anything started as of yet. I'm going a slightly different approach than the others by making a generic helo/jet/prop simpit. Were all very willing to help and share ideas, the last few days I've been cooking up the pit shell ideas.

Triggerhappy is as hardcore as it gets with the exception of the F15 pit guy on SimHQ! Feel free to send a PM or ask any questions.

Welcome in MADDOG308. I hope we can help you out and we look forward to you building and updating us on your progress. We sucked in another one :thumbup:

KA-50 simpit project

Thanks for the warm welcome all! Just purchased the first materials to start my KA-50 simpit.........I guess i'm committed now!!! My basic plan is as follows:

KA-50 Simpit - Fully enclosed w/ internal LCD Display

Structure -

1) welded steel frame with 4" castor rollers (to be able to move the pit around if needed)

2) ~3/4 inch plywood base

3) ribs every 1 to 2 ft to provide the cross section shape of the aircraft

4) probably masonite skin as external and internal covering.

5) JC Whitney off road racing seat (truck) $129.00 (**nice seat!)

6) Cockpit replicated as closely to a KA-50 specs as possible: toggles, switches, dimentions, etc...

Electronics -

7) Computer upgrade....(my current PC is a little old and tired = got a 1040 score using 3dmark06) Possibly a Fragbox 8400 or a Cyberpower Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro SE. Either way = $$$ ouch!

8. 24" internally mounted LCD display. Mounted where the HUD would be.

9) Good surround sound system with speakers mounted inconspicousely within the cockpit.

10) already have and am planning to use my Saitek X52 flight controls

11) X-Keys Matrix Board to provide interface for toggles and rotary switches

12) Ebay Avionics Indicators(hopefully cheap).......just for looks

I think that covers it..............oh God, what have I gotten myself into??:doh:

P.S. Did I mention that I am currently doing a ground up restoration of a 1945 Willys MB as well? I must be crazy!

p.s.p.s. I live down here in Visalia, CA......near Fresno.

MadDog308

WOW you have some big plans. I would sujest that you build a PC insted of buying one. culd save you alot of $$$$ Im buying parts right now. making a pile and shuld have everything in 2 months.... I hope.:sad_2:

My wife wants here parking spot back in the gerage. nag nag nag... It's ok thoe I just tune here out and sit in my falf finshed pit and dream a dream of a wolf pack destroing a convoy of fule trucks

I don't know if I belong in the "hardcore" group quite yet. Trigger's creativity and technical ability are definitely "hardcore". For me, time will tell, and I will try to earn my place in the hardcore group. For now, I just have a pretty good plan. I'll do my best to execute and finish that plan. Stay Tuned!!!

MadDog308

As long as it fits in the pit and the wife won't wonder why we don't mount the new 32" HD flat panel television in our master bedroom, I'm all for it! :thumbup:

MadDog308

My wife stopped wondering about the strange things I do a long time ago.. :D

My DCS movies:

• 1 month later...