My A-10C preparation

rocketeer

I've been researching on the A-10C. Info for the A-10 is limited, especially the C version. Since I've been away for a year and missed out on building the Black Shark, I've decided to do the up and coming A-10C, which is my favourite plane in Lock On anyway. Buying the Modern Hog Guide really helps.

Currently I have limited space till I move next month, so I can't build any pit. So I decided to focus on the components on the side panels, which is a lot of work, finding the knobs, 'inventing' some of my own, deciding on the angle (30 or 45 or 90 degress) and the number of positions for the rotary switches etc.

I started by printing the panels and stick them on cheap cardboard as a prototype, to figure out the dimensions, layout, spacing etc. So this is what I have so far. I even have to put these two below the dining table for space.

IMG_2077.jpg?t=1261707988

• Like 1

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the print outs on the cardboard, I added a few toggles (most two positions, some are three position types), push buttons, a few knobs which have 30 degree rotary switch or potentiometer below them. I've ordered the 45 degrees rotary switches, which are the majority of rotary switches required. The cool thing is that these have many positions and are not fixed, you can set the number of stops easily.

More detailed pics.

IMG_2078.jpg?t=1261708430

IMG_2079.jpg?t=1261708486

IMG_2080.jpg?t=1261708547

Dude, you're moving? I could almost smell the new house. lol

Good work anyway. Even with an out-dated picture, you may still be able to figure out most of the components that you need in the pit. What solution are you going with for the gauges? Will you simply hide an LCD behind some frames or build a whole bunch of mechanical gauges?

BTW, merry christmas.

The best reference you can use is the The Modern Hog Guide: The A-10 Warthog Exposed

It will also show you the placement of the ACR/AN 210 radio control head that appears to replace one or both of the ACR/AN 186 Radio control head. This radio control head has not been in the ED A-10C screen shots and I am not sure if it has been included.

It is hard to tell on some changes to the left side panel lay out because even though the book covers the C model the picture of the side panels are not head on but from and angel across the pit. Even with that said it is still the best reference on the A-10 C model

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

I do have the book above.

Alex, I do not have experience with mechanical gauges. So for now I'd probably use something like LOVP and use a monitor for the gauges. if I figure out the mechanical way or learn from one of the other guys I might do attempt this approach.

As for the interface solution, currently I am leaning towards OC. Initially I thought of using Hagstrom for inputs, but looking at its keyboard emulator, pots and encoders cards, they add up to cost a lot more than OC's cards. Plus Hagstrom does not have any cards for handling outputs, just inputs. OC can do both pretty well.

Dude, you're moving? I could almost smell the new house. lol

Hey buddy, merry christmas.

I don't have the dough to buy a house. Just going to rent a bigger place across the street, partly so that I have my own garage, ie. workshop and space for a pit! Been renting two bed room apartments with small balcony is just not going to cut it for pit building. ;)

Hay rocketeer good to see you back on the forums.. So where are you going to be moving to?

I hope you get to enough room in the new house to build a full pit for your self.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

somehing was up with image shack..

simpit009.jpg

A10C%20cockpit.jpg

all i did so far was mod the suncom split throttle with CH products pro throttle guts in conjunction with the F-16/A1-0C like fighterstick...

hope to make MFDs when i get more details on how to proceed...software wise..

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I do have the book above.

Alex, I do not have experience with mechanical gauges. So for now I'd probably use something like LOVP and use a monitor for the gauges. if I figure out the mechanical way or learn from one of the other guys I might do attempt this approach.

As for the interface solution, currently I am leaning towards OC. Initially I thought of using Hagstrom for inputs, but looking at its keyboard emulator, pots and encoders cards, they add up to cost a lot more than OC's cards. Plus Hagstrom does not have any cards for handling outputs, just inputs. OC can do both pretty well.

Understood, OC solution all the way sounds good. Keep us updated with your progress.

I can't help thinking how much trouble there will be when you move again with your pit.....stuff keep accumulating. I've got the same problem here with my rental, keeps me from buying large items all the time. Anyway, I know you'll work it out :D

Speaking of MFD, how many MFD DIY solutions are there? I know there are some off-the-shelf models out there already, how do they work in conjunction with DCS?

Went digging just now and found a manual for Thrustmaster MFD. Curious! The dazzling image on the "screen" is just a piece of printed plexiglass. I thought it was a lot more than a square LCD monitor. What a disappointment. Now it's just a good looking frame-shaped programmable keyboard to me.

No it seems like using lua files to configure multi monitors is the only feasible solution for us gamers. A simulator uses up a lot of system resources to generate graphic output through graphics cards, I wish there would be a way of getting real-time MFD display through high speed USB or ethernet connections, but it sounds really impractical to me.

I've got an LCD at the same size, 800X480 @ 7", except with a different interface.

attachment.php?attachmentid=34853&stc=1&d=1261891619

attachment.php?attachmentid=34854&stc=1&d=1261891619

Judging by the snapshots posted by wags, the A-10C MFD looks much bigger than this LCD, i.e, bigger than Thrustmaster MFD. I think I would go with an 8.4 inch 800x600 display for the MFD. And build my own frame on top of it.

Innolux_01.thumb.jpg.afb380b50def28700f16e62d57c476f9.jpg

Innolux_02.thumb.jpg.8b99d2f3d9dd43c1babd9546335f0c62.jpg