General Atomics RQ-1 Predator Module

Predator-78

I was wondering if ED in the future will be able to create a module of the famous General Atomics RQ-1 Predator drone. Aside from the flight model and the weapon systems, would it be very interesting to have it in the collection, would it be impossible to create?

Firma DCS.png

CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K   3.60 GHz - DDR4 64,0 GB - MSI RTX3080ti - Win 11 64bit

I'd think it would be fairly easy to make. But... I'm not sure how much sales such a module might make. I mean, it wouldn't be very exciting compared to a rotor bird, or a "hair on fire" cat launch, or a Mach 2 intercept, or laying down snake on some armor...

Also, it's... um... so slow it's almost going backwards. So slow they upgraded to the Reaper, and even that is very slow!

All that said, it might be worthwhile if it's not a super expensive standalone module, but maybe as part of a module. Say, if you combined it with the Combined Arms module. Or maybe if you put it in a package, looking like: C-130, F-117, UH-60, Reaper drone.... that might sell quite well. Thing is, that might only work for simplified aircraft, like FC3 planes, and I've heard that apparently ED doesn't want to do that anymore, full fidelity only.

So on paper, I think there's no technological issues with making a Predator module, but it doesn't seem like ED would be all that interested, but that may change at some point. One change that might make a drone module grow in interest, is if a dynamic campaign gets released, with lots of armor movements. Suddenly a Predator/Reaper module might become quite valuable, as you could better surveile the enemy ground movements, then paint targets for inbound attack helos and fast air! Could also maybe use them as sacrificial wpns to take out S-300 SAM systems, though I'm not sure how survivable they'd be against those systems (probably get shot down long before getting to a critical S-300 vehicle/component.

I think the only things less interesting would be a strategic bomber or strategic airlift, but to each their own

If it ever happens, enjoy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

• 3 years later...

I don't know about you but I'd love to use reconnaissance platforms (MQ-1) on the new Afghanistan map! It'd make sense to incorporate it in the game now that we have the A-10C, Apache, Hornet and Vipers, F15E + C-130 in the pipeline (with possible AC-130 later). There is also talk of possibility of Clickable Tanks (in Russian)...

In an environment like Afghanistan, in 2000's era mission, I wouldn't expect to be fearing for Air Defense other than MANPADS, AAA on mountain sides. Since we will be getting new infantry models and animations in the future, wouldn't be fun for "Battlefield Commanders" to get video feed from above? + Buddy lasing or TOO Hellfire deliveries?

In the future we will get human air refueling capabilities from Airplane Simulation Company, EW and RF is getting some additional attention in the future. We have received new Datalink features too!

To conclude, I'd love to see more capabilities in the C4ISR-ish world added to DCS. LOTATC is great but it doesn't do it all 🙂

On 5/16/2020 at 3:00 PM, Rick50 said:

I'd think it would be fairly easy to make. But... I'm not sure how much sales such a module might make. I mean, it wouldn't be very exciting compared to a rotor bird, or a "hair on fire" cat launch, or a Mach 2 intercept, or laying down snake on some armor...

I know this post is very old, but I'm replying anyway. A Predator would be just as interesting as anything else. You'd be as capable as coordinating with other players online in a complex battle, especially if CA is involved. And don't forget that DCS isn't limited to one aircraft. Variety is a good thing. Even if this wouldn't be someone's preferred module, it could be still be worth it as an occasional use aircraft. I prefer fixed wing to rotors, but I still have a collection of the latter that I can use whenever I feel like doing CAS lower and slower.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files