Video: Two perfect "_OK_" scores (and lots of mistakes)

Doc3908

I just don't get it. Sometimes I fly what I think is a perfect pass - exactly by the numbers - and I get "---" or "(OK)". Sometimes I know I'm flying a bad approach, yet paddles gives me a perfect pass. Here's a video from the standard Case I mission: I did a horrible approach, but paddles gave me "_OK_ Wire#3". Then I took off, went around and did another trap - slightly better, but still lots of mistakes. And the LSO gives me another "_OK_ Wire #3".

Here's the video:

Don’t feel bad about the (ok). That’s what most naval aviators get on average

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

I fly a whole weekend,and i always get C,really sad

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

Don’t feel bad about the (ok). That’s what most naval aviators get on average

v6,

boNes

I think he feels the opposite and that he shouldn't get an ok but worse.

I don't think they are that strict like he points out in the video like when he was 100 over the 700 speed or he started his turn 2 seconds late etc etc. They only seem to care once you call the ball

Yea, I think that they put in some wide margins of what would be _OK_ or OK. Can you imagine the s**t storm when 99% of players would get -- or C on 99% of landings (even if in fact it is what they deserve, judging from most of the dcs recovery videos).

I think he feels the opposite and that he shouldn't get an ok but worse.

I don't think they are that strict like he points out in the video like when he was 100 over the 700 speed or he started his turn 2 seconds late etc etc. They only seem to care once you call the ball

I think you are absolutely correct - the only thing that matters is how you fly after you call the ball. Just for the heck of it, I tried goofing around tonight: Flew inverted on the upwind and downwind legs, and only dirtied up on the base turn. I still got an "OK" pass - probably would have gotten an "_OK_" if I didn't make mistakes after I called the ball. Took off and flew the downwind way out - probably over 2 miles away from the boat. Made a VERY WIDE base turn, lined up and called the ball. Flew the rest of the approach more or less ok. Got another "OK" from the LSO... I'll keep messing with it to see what else I can get away with. :) Of course, what I really need to do is practice proper Case 1 procedures...

The other thing that bugs me is that I can't go down in the hangar deck. I flew around the boat in the Harrier hoping I can get into the lower deck through the side openings, but they are all blocked. Bummer! :)

They need to remove underline oks or change the way Jell'o awards them. I got a couple already and I'm not the ball flier out there. Talking to GB who was an LSO for over a decade and the only time he awarded one was for a retiring pilot's last trap.