OT: Squads... Age discrimination?

Umm, I think the title says it all...

I have been considering joining a new squad for a while after the 70th Blue lions vanished... when I discovered that many of the squads, especially those I was keen on possibly joining, had the "pilots must be 18 or older" requirement. I know this is a community of mostly adults, and adults are much more mature than the majority of us, but still, I think that should be determined in the intro flight. I also know there are lots of people here my age who may wish to join squads. Now, all of a sudden, I realized we cannot! I know some of us "lids" can get a bad rap and what now, but does age really determine maturity, especially those willing to undertake the commitment of being a squad member? :( I know the purpose of this is to keep those who are not committed and stuff out of the squad, but i don't really believe age reflects this entirely... I have flown Lockon for nearly 2 years, and have flown online for more than one year. I have spent lost of time and money on this sim, I believe I'm quite dedicated. (same goes for other's my age)

This post really serves no purpose, but I just thought I'd post it to let other's know and to express some frustration...

169th: 18 or older

104th: 18 or older

77th: unknown (dead link I think...)

159th: 17 or older

504th: unknown (due to site difficulties I suppose)

These were the squads I know off hand, and I checked them. The 3 I could find specific recruitment info on all had age requirements. :huh:

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Hello Aeroscout! I agree with you about he maturity part. I've met kids under 18 who were very, very mature and I've seen a whole lotta a-holes in their 20s, 30s, and even 40s who behaved about as well as a two year old! :D

I do not fly online, but personally I would not be comfortable talking on team speak in the "guys sittin around drinking beers" sort of way like I'm sure plenty of squads do. I'm sure that there probably isn't a fowl or filthy thing I could come up with that you haven't already heard, but I wouldn't feel right talking about it with someone under 18 who may or may not still live under their parents rules and household. Far be it from me to get some kid in trouble because his mom hears some grown man cussing up a storm or making a dirty joke over the internet.

We discriminate against immaturity in the 44th, but other than that, we've had a few young people - one was laid off, the others left since other things were suddenly distracting them ... you know, girls and such :D

And, what RT said about the older crowd :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Actually, we don't do anything else than drink beer and cuss on TS.. any other uses for it?

Relaying the Occasional Brevity Command......................

For Example: (Courtesy of the 159th Pub S.O.P.'s)

ACTIVE: The take away vindaloo you picked up on the way to the pub is beginning to take effect. Most likely will result in you entering TRAIL status, especially if loo is ENGAGED.

HOT: Spent too long sitting near fire. Trousers caught fire. Can be countered by going FEET WET.

FEET WET/DRY: Before and after pi#*ing yourself due to a Faulty Targeting System......

and so on...............:book:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

:lol:Viper,

One that gets used often in our TS is NAKED, thing is these guys are serious, hence my TS has to be muted for a few brief seconds while I down a stiff drink.

Don't want to go of topic,

I don't mind kids being in TS, its just that I wouldn't want my kids(or anyone elses) to listen to some of the crap from the likes of me.:D

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

ermmmm Squads can "discriminate" as they see fit. Period. If you're interested in the reasoning from our perspective- it's similar to what has been said. We don't want to hear complaining from someone's parents about someone yelling out the occasional &%!$ or the heat of the moment &^$**%$<%!!! It's not as though we condone long profanity laced diatribes or anything, but &%!$ happens, y'know?

And while this certainly does not apply to all young ones- We prefer that our applicants

1. have the means to equip themselves properly. We want our pilots to be able to fly and contribute- not be a liability because their equipment is holding them back, and they can't afford what they need. Reality- teens cannot always do that.

meh.. at work.. can't continue right now..

CONT:

anyway---If an applicant showed maturity waaaay beyond his years and was ready to go and all that jazz- lots of squadrons with age limits might make an exception. He might need to satisfactorily answer some very frank questions.. Never say never..

We had a young-un in \PR/ who did exactly that, and we welcomed him in. An invaluable member of the team.

All good points in this thread (very much including the original post). Mind you it's one of those situations where there is no right or wrong answers. Basically it a case of what suits a particular squad.

As far as the 159th is concerned the simple answer is that, although we had one or two really good young pilots in the past (one of the best, and most mature was about 14 or 15 when he was in the squad IIRC), we had an awful lot of problems with younger applicants and members (ranging from the minor irritation of members not being able to follow simple instructions and wanting to play air quake right up to a couple who thought TK'ing their squad mates was funny).

In the end we had a choice between enforcing a minimum age requirement and losing valued members. We chose the former. It's what suited us at the time, and that still holds true.

Our view is that this is a recreational activity, and as such we want to make sure we give our members and environment they enjoy and can relax in. Unfortunately in our case part of this has turned out to be the minimum age requirement.

Relaying the Occasional Brevity Command......................

For Example: (Courtesy of the 159th Pub S.O.P.'s)

ACTIVE: The take away vindaloo you picked up on the way to the pub is beginning to take effect. Most likely will result in you entering TRAIL status, especially if loo is ENGAGED.

HOT: Spent too long sitting near fire. Trousers caught fire. Can be countered by going FEET WET.

FEET WET/DRY: Before and after pi#*ing yourself due to a Faulty Targeting System......

and so on...............:book:

According to this logic, abort would mean... :puke: after too much :drunk: ??

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

According to this logic, abort would mean... :puke: after too much :drunk: ??

Actually....................Erm.............................No! :D

To Quote:

ABORT: Quick reversal of course when you realise the bloke with Comrade Helenkova is about twice your size and any attempt to muscle in is most likely going to get you pounded and/or neutered, not necessarily in that order.

End Quote.

And there endeth the Brevity..................any more will have the Boss sending me to scrub latrines with a rusty sponge, or worse yet - Milk the Yaks........:cry:

To pre-empt any enquiries, Comrade Helenkova is our 6ft 4 Drop-Dead Gorgeous Blond in Heels - In charge of Customer Relations as well as the Custodian of the pub, the Sukhoi Arms......

:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Aeroscout you might like to join our teamspeak and fly with us for a little while. We have been known to make the odd exception. However I warn you that if you do get a cadetship I am extra hard on a younger cadet. If you think you have the maturity and strentgh of character to handle that then an application will be taken seriously.

note: 169th Maverik is not yet 18 and has proved to be a real asset to the squadron. there are allways exceptions to rules.

Just put on your deep voice and click the I'm over 18 box.

Thanks guys, but this isn't just about me... It's about anyone my age.

I'm beginning to think a squad is not for me... thanks very much for your input. I just wish online play on Hyperlobby was a bit more structured.

Thanks very much...

And that was quite funny Viper:D

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Thanks guys, but this isn't just about me... It's about anyone my age.

I'm beginning to think a squad is not for me... thanks very much for your input. I just wish online play on Hyperlobby was a bit more structured.

Now see- this is kind of what I meant by maturity beyond your years. You're giving up. A couple of squadron leaders have just confirmed my initial comment- that they will look at someone younger [than the rules call for] IF they displayed extraordinary maturity & ability to learn.

Not everyone finds the right team the first time. I had the benefit of *koff* age and experience when LOMAC got going. I was a squadron co-leader in my previous flight game and I knew what to look for in a squadron. I saw the constant villification, jealousy and general hatred directed at the Savage 77th- and immediately this felt very familiar. A squadron hated for their success! BINGO! I applied shortly thereafter.

You took a shot at that "blue lions" thing, and it didn't work out. The older guys here know that many squadrons that appear out of nowhere often fizzle out- but you wish them the best anyway. You need to keep at it.

If structured flying is what you seek- flying lone wolf is not going to make that happen. Think about it- you and 2-4 other lone wolfs flying with no plan no communication except the occasional chat line (which few people notice) vs. even 2 well trained pilots -on comms -flying with a strategy. Pwnage awaits you almost every time.

Truer words may have been spoken, but they'll be hard to find :D

If structured flying is what you seek- flying lone wolf is not going to make that happen. Think about it- you and 2-4 other lone wolfs flying with no plan no communication except the occasional chat line (which few people notice) vs. even 2 well trained pilots -on comms -flying with a strategy. Pwnage awaits you almost every time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Im thinking I would have to agree with you.

what do you mean? :huh:

Now see- this is kind of what I meant by maturity beyond your years. You're giving up. A couple of squadron leaders have just confirmed my initial comment- that they will look at someone younger [than the rules call for] IF they displayed extraordinary maturity & ability to learn.

I never said I was giving up... It just seemed to cross my mind... I'll see what I can do... look at various squads and such, so which are good with out too many restrictions... etc.

All good points in this thread (very much including the original post). Mind you it's one of those situations where there is no right or wrong answers. Basically it a case of what suits a particular squad.

As far as the 159th is concerned the simple answer is that, although we had one or two really good young pilots in the past (one of the best, and most mature was about 14 or 15 when he was in the squad IIRC), we had an awful lot of problems with younger applicants and members (ranging from the minor irritation of members not being able to follow simple instructions and wanting to play air quake right up to a couple who thought TK'ing their squad mates was funny).

In the end we had a choice between enforcing a minimum age requirement and losing valued members. We chose the former. It's what suited us at the time, and that still holds true.

Our view is that this is a recreational activity, and as such we want to make sure we give our members and environment they enjoy and can relax in. Unfortunately in our case part of this has turned out to be the minimum age requirement.

On top of this it is a public secret that virgins do attract bullets and missiles :D.

True fact: during WWII the Japanese virgin military were helped by a female friend or even by a whore (rewarded by their parents) before going to the battle field :D.

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |