What should I do?

I purchased the Channel map and found it wouldn't appear in in my DCS game newly upgraded to 2.5.6. game. It seemed I had to download the new DCS World package. I did that and found the map in the download section where I expected it. Two copies of DCS take up a lot of room. My question is, may I delete my old updated 2.5.6 DCS game and keep the new DCS World 2.5.6 version without messing anything up?

I occasionally get burned when I make decisions in ignorance.

My thanks for any help.

DCS World has two releases, the stable: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

and an Open Beta: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/

The Open beta is a test version where the users can help to detect bugs and dont mind playing with a less stable version.

New Modules appear first on Open beta, in order for its users to help detect bugs on the new Module. After a while the new Module will appear also on the Stable release.

Seem that you were running the Stable version, and instead of waiting for the Map to appear on your release, you downloaded the Openbeta one.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd estimate 90% of users use openbeta

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I'd estimate 90% of users use openbeta

Based on what data? ... estimates out of thin air have no value.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Based on what data? ... estimates out of thin air have no value.

Errrr, let me see, read the forum? 100-s of servers run openbeta (minus the ones when openbeta breaks)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I purchased the Channel map and found it wouldn't appear in in my DCS game newly upgraded to 2.5.6. game. It seemed I had to download the new DCS World package. I did that and found the map in the download section where I expected it. Two copies of DCS take up a lot of room. My question is, may I delete my old updated 2.5.6 DCS game and keep the new DCS World 2.5.6 version without messing anything up?

I occasionally get burned when I make decisions in ignorance.

My thanks for any help.

You can update your stable to the OB version and retain settings etc.

You can update your stable to the OB version and retain settings etc.

There's a wiki thread how to do this, with arguments on the \DCS <install>\bin\DCS_updater.exe command line

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2548018

Making a statement that 90% use OB is a guess.

But practically every one I know who play online use OB, so for all intents and purposes it's pretty safe guess.

But OB often gets new features for the various modules in early access, as well as the modules themselves a week or two before they release in stable.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

But practically every one I know who play online use OB, so for all intents and purposes it's pretty safe guess.

Most MP users run OB because most of the servers are running OB, not the other way around. And the servers are running OB because their operators just can't keep their fingers off the shiny. If more server operators ran Stable, more players would as well. Stands to reason.

However, MP is a subset, and not even a majority subset.