Realsimulator F-18CGRH is available for preorder

As I explained in my previous post, the side mounted version can be configured as either center or side mounted by changing positions of 2 screws. The center version is center only. And IMO it is VKB that doesn’t play nice with the rest of the world with their own proprietary connection, even Winwing is coming out with their own PS/2 adapter for their base.

I’m still deciding between Virpil CM2 vs Winwing’s base for my extension tube setup. Currently leaning toward the CM2 because of the adjustable pretension on axis which is really a big deal, I could dial in those tensions to my liking. Their single cam system is also a neat technology making cam exchange super easy.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a Virpil, but from what I understand, it is very competitive with the VKB in terms of mechanics/feel. Given that I have the VKB and the Winwing, I would take the Virpil over the Winwing any day. I am tempted to get a Virpil just to compare it to the VKB. I would like to use whatever works best/feels best for me. The Winwing is a huge improvement over the TM stick base hardware, but for me, it simply does not equal the VKB, which I presume means it also does not equal the Virpil.

If and when I ever decide to build an F-16 home pit, that is the only time I would consider their products. They have the one base that is perfect for that role and sell the best grip for the F-16 as well. It is a no brainer to build an F-16 sim pit around it. They should make an F-16 throttle, too. Then the used Cougar HOTAS market would die for those that have the money to get the good stuff!

I had the chance to get the Cougar for a really good price when it was still on shelves. I was very tempted. But the Warthog was much better for me. But now that they aren't available brand new any more, I kind of wish I had it sitting on my shelf in the box just for the throttle. I may as yet design a multipurpose cockpit frame with interchangeable control panels. I would certainly want to have F-16 throttle and stick consoles in such a lineup. So, if ever get around to it and Realsimulator is still in business, they will finally get my money for a force sensitive base and matching grip.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’ve been thinking, a very cool base for this grip might be the MS sidewinder 2 FFB. All I have to do is figure out a way to mount this thing on it without any major hacking. I can just power the F-18 grip via PC USB or powerbank battery so wiring is a non-issue.

To satiate my curiosity and gear OCD, I pulled the trigger on the Virpil MT50CM2 base + 200 cm extension and will do a direct head to head comparison against all my pre-existing bases whenever it arrives.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

To satiate my curiosity and gear OCD, I pulled the trigger on the Virpil MT50CM2 base + 200 cm extension and will do a direct head to head comparison against all my pre-existing bases whenever it arrives.

I have that VPC base and extension and use it with my F16SGRH CE when flying the A-10C. Works fine, grip gets power from the base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I have that VPC base and extension and use it with my F16SGRH CE when flying the A-10C. Works fine, grip gets power from the base.

Awesome, what type of springs do you use with that extension, the heavy one? I realize that spring tension is modifiable in real-time but also read that it's better to use the appropriate type of springs first then adjust tension afterward. This base would be an excellent match for my F-18CGRH grip, at least for now. Knowing Virpil, I probably shouldn't expect the base for at least another month or two, especially when they have it as preorder only.

Anyway my F-18 grip is already in NYC yesterday so I might even get it by Monday, hope you guys get yours soon. I'll report back if I see any changes compared to the test version.

I use the default springs that come installed. I have tightened them down because of the heavy TM Hornet grip, but anticipate lightening them up when the RS grip gets here.

My grip and MT pit base frame made it to Cincinnati yesterday. Still says Tuesday delivery.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

OK I got asked recently regarding using TM Warthog base with the F-18CGRH grip. I've been using it off and on and am happy to report that there is no major issue.

This base is as good as anything I've used, once modified. Mine has 4 extra small springs in the lower springs compartment, to reduce the tension especially around the center. The modified tension is pretty much the same as my WarBRD with heavy springs, slightly more in the center without the wobbling or oscillation that can be seen with the latter. There is a tiny stiction (or detention if you will) on this base that can be felt at 90% north and 90% east of the gimbal with the F-18CGRH, this is not present when the heavier grips from TM are mounted. This isn't a big deal for me since I typically don't push sticks to the extreme and can also be calibrated out so it would reach 100% input in-game right where the stiction would occur.

I actually prefer this to the Virpil WarBRD when it comes to AAR as it actually gives me more stability near the center. I have less drift, and can stay connected better and longer with this base-grip combination. Maybe further axis tuning might help with the WarBRD, but I've been messing with the settings while doing between 3-10 AARs a day for the past few weeks so dunno. Construction-wise the TM might be dated compared to newer offerings but functionality-wise in day to day gaming it is quite good. The only reason this base is not on my main PC is because my kids want it on theirs (TM fans, lol).

Now for BT (BLE) mode, you must clear out all the button bindings in DCS settings from the JOYSTICK HOTAS WARTHOG column otherwise there will be some DX input conflicts as the grip would be taking both base input as well as its own input. The same thing goes for any non-Realsim bases with PS/2 (DIN) connection.

IMG_3916.thumb.jpg.fd53ac4d91027182ebebce36979e523c.jpg

Edited by Supmua

I use the default springs that come installed. I have tightened them down because of the heavy TM Hornet grip, but anticipate lightening them up when the RS grip gets here.

My grip and MT pit base frame made it to Cincinnati yesterday. Still says Tuesday delivery.

May i ask what length your extension has and how you mounted your T-50 base? I have the TM Hornet grip with a 35cm extension on a WH base and had to switch to Sahajs blue spring to make the stick recenter properly. I want to switch the WH base for a T-50 but would have to mount it to the bottom instead of the brackets. I'm worried that i'd have to use the heavy springs and may overstress the housing of the base...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

Right now I’m using the small baseplate from Virpil and have it mounted to the floor of my cockpit.

Later this week it’ll be mounted to a Monstertech cockpit.

Extension is the Virpil 200mm.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I’ve been thinking, a very cool base for this grip might be the MS sidewinder 2 FFB. All I have to do is figure out a way to mount this thing on it without any major hacking. I can just power the F-18 grip via PC USB or powerbank battery so wiring is a non-issue.

It is amazing that the MS Sidewinder 2 FFB is still the benchmark for a force feedback stick. But it remains the most compatible/best design for the existing FFB software used by nearly every sim that supports FFB at all. I am sure you can find a way to use the grip without damaging the original stick hardware. I would probably make something involving wood and PVC that would act as an adapter between the mechanical attachment points. I think people making their own extensions for the Warthog were able to find PVC sprinkler/garden hose pipes with the right threading to mount their grips.

I had an old Sidewinder Precision 2 (Pro?) stick that I had bought for my dad to try flying. I didn't like the look, but it worked very well. I don't have it anymore because it was the first stick that I cut up when I started adapting my real F-4 stick into being a USB controller.

I am curious to see what you think of the Virpil.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This may not be relevant to DCS, but upon testing with MS FS2020 I found that mapping via button press didn't work reliably with BLE mode. I think the software was confused between inputs from both Virpil WarBRD base (which the grip is on) as well as the inputs from the grip itself, so a lot of time nothing got registered. What works 100% was mapping via manual input of DX button numbers from the scroll down menu with the grip selected as target device (numbers corresponding to switches can be seen using RS app or joy.cpl window). Once I did that everything worked out perfectly. This issue doesn't happen with DCS World.

Edited by Supmua

Just arrived and feels great. Just 2 things, the trigger has some friction when released, is it normal? And i have to figure out how to get get 19 buttons + POV on the TM base working until my BT dongle arrives. It only recognises 15 buttons + POV. But overall, i'm very happy with the grip. Got it attached to a Virpil 200mm extension and there is no twist, wiggling or anything feels loose. It attaches tight without play. Hope yours arrive soon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=242978&d=1595252544

F-18CGRH.thumb.JPG.4372180e8e207baca7858e38f72291d1.JPG

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus + F-15EX / 4x TM Cougar MFD / Slaw Device RX Viper V3 / HP Reverb G2

I don’t recall any friction on trigger release, detention yes, but what I’m using right now is the pre-released version.

I was told the trigger detention would be twice as strong in the released version to simulate the real trigger switch, wonder if that has anything to do with the friction on release.

Keep in mind that without BLE mode or FSSB base, the grip would be somewhat crippled due to limited functionality. You will truly appreciate all it can offer once your BT dongle arrives.

Anyway, enjoy your grip as you’re probably the first person to have the released version. I’ll double check on the input buttons with my Warthog base once I get home from work, I might have missed this as I’m mostly using it in BLE mode.

Edited by Supmua

Can any of you with experience with RS clear this up for me? RS is the only company I've not bought bases/sticks from, and I want to fix that here shortly so I can compare their FSSB/sticks to the whole Virpil/VKB/TM line.

Regarding the BLE/Blue tooth functionality, if I'm reading this correctly on their re-done website (it's still has some contradicting and confusing info, but much better than the previous site), the F16 stick does NOT have BLE in the base model SGRH stick, but does with the collectors edition "CE" model, right?

However there doesn't seem to BE a "Collectors edition" for the Hornet/F18 CGRH stick, yet it's still in the 360 euro price range as the F16 base model stick, but has the BLE capability available for this much lower price. As quoted from the F18 stick page on RS site -

The F18CGRH includes a Rotary switch installed under the TRIM hat switch cap to easily hot swap between 8 configurable memory slots, 5-way switches in all the hat switches (TRIM, SENSOR and WEAPON SELECT), 5-way switches where in real grip there is only 1 way (WR, NWS and RECCE), a very realistic Trigger with an audible and tactile click for second stage, a Bluetooth LE for firmware upgrade and three status LEDs used to show the slot in use.

Ok, to summarize, it seems that BLE comes WITH the F18 stick for 360 Euro, yet it does NOT come with the similarly priced F16 stick, as you have to "upgrade" to the F16 "CE" collector's edition stick for BLE, and that costs double almost what the base model F16 AND F18 (with BLE) costs. If I'm getting this wrong, please sound off, it's why I'm posting this, and I don't want any confusion or wrong expectations for a nearly two thousand dollar CAD order (more actually after shipping/duty/tax, for one base and two grips).

Am I getting this right, or missing something here? I've returned the borrowed base/stick I've tried out, and I'm putting my order together, have the base model F16 SGRH, the F18/Pre Order, current FSSB base, and the TM F16 throttle usb adapter (I have one already, but want this new one).

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

The regular F-16 version doesn’t have BLE.

There is no collector’s edition for the F-18 grip, yet it has BLE. The reason this grip is cheaper right now is because this is a preordering price (for early adopters if you will) and there will be a price increase later on. Capability-wise it is on par with the F-16 Collector’s edition, so this is a very good deal.

If you plan to use any RS grips with non-FSSB bases, BLE mode is really the way to go as it would unleash all the extra functionalities that make these grips expensive in the first place.

Edited by Supmua

That'll be much appreciated. I flew a couple of minutes in the hornet and realised it's only 2 buttons not beeing recognised, so it's 17+POV (Button 3 and 4 missing). I was just a bit confused as the mappings were mixed up. I don't think it's a faulty grip, as the buttons are all recognised by the grip itself via the LED's. It's propably a software issue, or maybe the firmware. I'll have to wait for my BT dongle and get into the RS tool before i can say more about it. Will test it on my WarBRD base as well this evening, this will also be a good indicator if i can switch back to soft springs when replacing the TM WH by a Realsimulator F-16 grip.

The friction on the trigger release isn't too intense, it just feels very strange compared to the TM hornet grip. But all buttons do, compared to the TM grip. They're not bad, just different and feel much more softer and fragile. I guess that's just something i have to get used to. The weight on the other hand is remarkable. I didn't expect such of a difference to the TM grip. Immediately switched back to the standard spring and it feels much better than with the blue spring + TM Hornet grip. I'm absolutely confident that there will be no issue with the T-50 base mounted to the bottom. I hope so much the trigger friction on release is meant to be this way, although it feels strange. The grip itself is great, i don't want to send it back and wait for a replacement..

However, i'm looking forward to your comparison between pre-serial and serial production model. I wonder about the differences and if you do also have the strange trigger release.

Cheers and thanks a lot for your effort. Again.

Edited by VpR81

That'll be much appreciated. I flew a couple of minutes in the hornet and realised it's only 2 buttons not beeing recognised, so it's 17+POV. I was just a bit confused as the mappings were mixed up. I don't think it's a faulty grip, as the buttons are all recognised by the grip itself via the LED's. It's propably a software issue, or maybe the firmware. I'll have to wait for my BT dongle and get into the RS tool before i can say more about it. Will test it on my WarBRD base as well this evening, this will also be a good indicator if i can switch back to soft springs when replacing the TM WH by a Realsimulator F-16 grip.

The friction on the trigger release isn't too intense, it just feels very strange compared to the TM hornet grip. But all buttons do, compared to the TM grip. They're not bad, just different and feel much more softer and fragile. I guess that's just something i have to get used to. The weight on the other hand is remarkable. I didn't expect such of a difference to the TM grip. Immediately switched back to the standard spring and it feels much better than with the blue spring + TM Hornet grip. I'm absolutely confident that there will be no issue with the T-50 base mounted to the bottom. I hope so much the trigger friction on release is meant to be this way, although it feels strange. The grip itself is great, i don't want to send it back and wait for a replacement..

However, i'm looking forward to your comparison between pre-serial and serial production model. I wonder about the differences and if you do also have the strange trigger release.

Cheers and thanks a lot for your effort. Again.

I would also ask in RS forum and see what the tech support thinks. I probably won’t get my grip to compare until tomorrow. The prereleased version has softer trigger so I don’t think it would make a good comparison. Dragon did say that the released version will have the same trigger sensation as the real thing.

Edited by Supmua

My grip came in today, despite tracking that said tomorrow. So, Dragon wasn't kidding when he said the trigger detention is very strong like the real thing, easily twice the force you have to use compared to the TM and the pre-released version. I had to squeeze hard to activate trigger 2 (with a satisfying popping sound)--the TM trigger 2 switch now feels soft when compared side by side. I did not feel any friction upon trigger release, though. This detention is supposedly adjustable according him if you don't like the feel of it but probably not by ourselves.

The RECCE side-way switches have lower resistance compared to the pre-released unit and are easier to operate. There's no uneven seam on my unit. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as the test unit.

I did a quick test with the Warthog in wired mode, and apparently there is no button 3 and 4. This might be just a matter of firmware update since they support all the Warthog-equivalent buttons on the F-16SGRH grip.

There is also a new firmware update, but it's likely already installed on the new grip. New user guide for the grip is included in the new download.

Edited by Supmua

Mine has been in Cincinnati since Saturday. The last thing it said was Customs Status Updated at 9:39 am.

Wonder if I should be looking out for the truck today. It still says delivery tomorrow.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Yes, Button 3 and 4 are the ones missing. That there is no friction on your trigger release makes me a bit worried, but i think i got a monday model anyways. Sadly i got to send mine back and ask for a replacement. I took a closer look to the switches and saw that the socket of the weapon selection switch is faulty. There are small holes that definately not meant to be there. It looks like as if there was not enough material on that spot when they casted the body.

attachment.php?attachmentid=243009&d=1595280239

Rift.thumb.JPG.31e7a82a75c565e9e53e40a860f40bab.JPG

That's kind of unfortunate, I have to do a full inspection on mine. Mine came in a center mounted position, btw. Perhaps they could send you a new one quickly if you contact them now.

IMG_3918.thumb.jpg.ece94ab356f1451b3d0cbeca82e2e15f.jpg

Edited by Supmua

Yep, better take a closer look on yours. Hopefully it's ok. To be honest, i don't even know in wich mounting position mine came. I have the bolts on the connector of my Virpil extension removed and just attached it without looking at the mount position. Email is already out, fingers crossed.

Center position: screws in aft and right holes at the base of the grip.

Side position: screws in left and front holes.

Just did a full inspection on mine, no issue so far. Still gotta do button mash test, then some DCS missions.

I’m starting to get a little nervous. I took today off from work because I also have a package from Monstertech coming via DHL today, and the last tracking update was at 10 last night, saying clearance processing complete in Cincinnati.

I’m in North Carolina. How the heck can this get delivered today if it’s still in Ohio?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

I’m starting to get a little nervous. I took today off from work because I also have a package from Monstertech coming via DHL today, and the last tracking update was at 10 last night, saying clearance processing complete in Cincinnati.

I’m in North Carolina. How the heck can this get delivered today if it’s still in Ohio?

That's a Covid miracle.

Sometimes, the tracker is not very accurate. Probably your parcel is closer than you think.

Sent from my MiG-29S (9-13S) using Tapatalk

:megalol: