AMRAAM Lock up question

LtMacGowan

Does the F/A-18 have a mode similiar to the F-15C where you have that dotted circle on the HUD and anyone that flies into it within like 10 miles you can just hit TDC depress and lock them up?

Or are you limited to just mad dog launches?

I ask because I was dogfighting and its pretty much impossible to get a radar lock when the target is within 10 miles maneuvering. I get that AC-VISUAL on my HUD but is there a way to lock up a target that flies into it? or do i just launch mad dog mode and hope?

I believe is sensor select switch left or right when in ACM mode to allow HUD auto-acquisition.

But also Boresight and Long Range Boresight modes (keep SSW forward pressed for a couple of secs) are always working fine for me

Edited by Pantera93

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

This is a function independent of the AMRAAM specifically, but A/A master mode entirely. Press Sensor Control Switch forward to enter Air Combat Maneuvering mode (ACM)- this will also put you in Boresight / Helmet Acquisition. Once in ACM you can use the Sensor Control Switch to enter a few other search patterns. Acquisition into STT is automatic also, once a target is seen - no need for TDC depress.

For more detail: https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/F/A-18C#Air_Combat_Maneuvering_.28ACM.29_Modes

Does the F/A-18 have a mode similiar to the F-15C where you have that dotted circle on the HUD and anyone that flies into it within like 10 miles you can just hit TDC depress and lock them up?

The mode you're referring to in the F-15C is called Boresight.

As others have mentioned here, the Hornet has a Boresight mode as well, which can be accessed with any air-to-air missile selected by pressing the Sensor Control Switch up. You'll get a dotted circle in the HUD, very much like the F-15C, and if you look away from the HUD with the helmet mounted sight turned on the Boresight circle will follow your head allowing you to look at any aircraft within 70 degrees of your nose and 10 miles range and lock them up.