Is the map worth of money? even when on Sale?

GumidekCZ

1 hour ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

Practice Riot in Montréal last night, practising for the BIG one in the next couple of weeks. Olé Olé Olé

Practice makes perfect. If Game 7 is in Montreal and we win... oh dear.  Nah nah naah naah, Na Na naah naah hey hey hey gooo-ood bye!!

1 hour ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

I have all the maps, Normandy is the one I fly most, Channel might look better but performs worse than Syria or any other map.  With the last update they addressed many of it's shortcomings but Normandy still is the better WWII map.

The decision making flowchart should look like this:

Do you want to fly WWII in DCS?

Yes => Buy Normandy Map  maybe buy Channel Map

No => Don't buy Normandy Map.

I would trial both in the Free Trial programme and see what you think. 

I'm surprised you fly Normandy the most. Then again I'm surprised anyone flies Normandy the most. That said, what you enjoy is up to you. :drinks_cheers:

Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Normandy map - though when originally released it was a garbage fire - but I find it a bit too nondescript. Now I'm going to have to fly it a bit and see if I can see the beauty in it that you do. Maybe the new clouds have made it nicer.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

2 hours ago, 71st_AH Rob said:

Practice Riot in Montréal last night, practising for the BIG one in the next couple of weeks. Olé Olé Olé

I have all the maps, Normandy is the one I fly most, Channel might look better but performs worse than Syria or any other map.  With the last update they addressed many of it's shortcomings but Normandy still is the better WWII map.

The decision making flowchart should look like this:

Do you want to fly WWII in DCS?

Yes => Buy Normandy Map  maybe buy Channel Map

No => Don't buy Normandy Map.

I would trial both in the Free Trial programme and see what you think. 

I took a few helo flights to reacquaint myself with the map, and fairs fair, it's not a bad map. Not refined like the Channel map, but still a map and a decent one.

Granted flying the Hind helps, but I have to admit the hedgerow aspect of the map is very well done. Very... 3D. And I did just have my smoothest landing in the Hind yet. One nice thing about the hedgerow part of the map is that the landscape presents itself at a thousand little landing zones. 

On sale, 50% off, yeah, it's worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

Then again I'm surprised anyone flies Normandy the most.

* See Flow Chart.

That being said, the billboards in Syria pointed to Ugra remembering their statement that they would return to the Normandy map when they finished Syria.  I hope that they will bring the techniques and workflow that they learned developing the Syria map to Normandy and it will rival the Channel Map in beauty and still preform better! But I'm an optimist.  Game 4,  well not that much of an optimist, Game 5 at HOME!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

With the news about update to the map, I would definitely get it into my collection during the next sale. By then, the NTTR would be the only map I do not own.

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:10 AM, VFGiPJP said:

With the news about update to the map, I would definitely get it into my collection during the next sale. By then, the NTTR would be the only map I do not own.

I'm a big fan of the NTTR map. Granted, it could use an update, but I really like the map. It's my home base where I try out new stuff. When I get a new plane and I'm learning the systems, Groom Lake is always where it happens.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Beirut said:

I'm a big fan of the NTTR map. Granted, it could use an update, but I really like the map. It's my home base where I try out new stuff. When I get a new plane and I'm learning the systems, Groom Lake is always where it happens.

Yep and performance is very good in VR and very creepy at night. 

• Like 2