At Arms Length - Mission fail

Next attempt I defeated the MiGs and released the JSOWs on TGTs 4-6

then nothing happens, no fail message or more comms. No coordinates given for the next target. The campaign just stopped working. 

I see what happened on Tacview. The JSOWs were all destroyed by SAMs. They are silly ineffective weapons because they’re so big and slow. When you do the JSOW training mission that’s what happens to them there too. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 3/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, SharpeXB said:

I got a mission fail after engaging the MiGs on the route to the target. Shot one down along with the other F-18 then proceeded to the target. But then got the fail message. Why?

There are four Migs in all although your wingman will help. Did you get the "all bandits down" message that indicates that all Migs are dead. Where were you when you had the fail. There is a 80 mile zone from the target if you drift outside  without taking out the migs or target will trigger a fail. Also what message did you get when you had the fail.

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

1 hour ago, Glyn said:

There are four Migs in all although your wingman will help. Did you get the "all bandits down" message that indicates that all Migs are dead. Where were you when you had the fail. There is a 80 mile zone from the target if you drift outside  without taking out the migs or target will trigger a fail. Also what message did you get when you had the fail.

Like I mentioned above, the second attempt at the mission got a similar outcome, defeating the MiGs and proceeding to the target. I did get the message that all the MiGs were down.
The campaign seems too restricted by VR limitations to the point that it’s just flights by a you as a single aircraft whereas you would always have several flights or wingmen on any realistic mission. Going it alone against this target doesn’t work very well. 
I don’t know how they behave in the real world but JSOWs in DCS can’t get past SAMs so one plane attacking 4 targets with 4 bombs is bound to fail. They’re supposed to be stand-off weapons to keep you out of air defense range but it’s not really working like that in DCS

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Like I mentioned above, the second attempt at the mission got a similar outcome, defeating the MiGs and proceeding to the target. I did get the message that all the MiGs were down.
The campaign seems too restricted by VR limitations to the point that it’s just flights by a you as a single aircraft whereas you would always have several flights or wingmen on any realistic mission. Going it alone against this target doesn’t work very well. 
I don’t know how they behave in the real world but JSOWs in DCS can’t get past SAMs so one plane attacking 4 targets with 4 bombs is bound to fail. They’re supposed to be stand-off weapons to keep you out of air defense range but it’s not really working like that in DCS

Hi

You are quite correct about reality but this campaign was never designed to capture reality but to create a set of interesting missions linked with a story line.
The mission is perfectly achievable.
Just checked, all good. Took out migs and targets.

When you engage migs you are joined in your 5 by a wingman who will deal with some of the migs.

You are right regarding DCS and JSOWS, however, I have adjusted things so as long as you follow brief the JSOWS will hit. You must remain outside the distance to target as set out in the brief. Go within the distance and the SAMs will go into red alert and your JSOWS will be shot down. This is probably happening to you. It’s all explained in the brief. So the challenge in this mission is getting high enough to strike with the JSOWS without going within the red alert distance.

Hope this helps

Edited by Glyn

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

On 3/17/2021 at 6:02 PM, Glyn said:

Hi

You are quite correct about reality but this campaign was never designed to capture reality but to create a set of interesting missions linked with a story line.
The mission is perfectly achievable.
Just checked, all good. Took out migs and targets.

When you engage migs you are joined in your 5 by a wingman who will deal with some of the migs.

You are right regarding DCS and JSOWS, however, I have adjusted things so as long as you follow brief the JSOWS will hit. You must remain outside the distance to target as set out in the brief. Go within the distance and the SAMs will go into red alert and your JSOWS will be shot down. This is probably happening to you. It’s all explained in the brief. So the challenge in this mission is getting high enough to strike with the JSOWS without going within the red alert distance.

Hope this helps

Yep I just recently finished this campaign and had no trouble with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 4 months later...

I failed the mission again because although I destroyed the targets at WP4-6 I was never given the coordinates to attack the extra target. 

15 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I failed the mission again because although I destroyed the targets at WP4-6 I was never given the coordinates to attack the extra target. 

Hi, Confused as if you have destroyed the first three targets you will be given the coordinates as their destruction is a trigger to give you the coordinates. I will check it out.

EDIT:  I have now checked this out in the current Open Beta version of DCS. Released the 3 JSOW at the initial three targets. All were destroyed and then did receive the 'Precise' coords for the forth. Destroyed that as well. So It seems for some reason you could not have killed the first three targets

Hope this helps.

Badger633

Edited by Badger633