Unable to map the Right MCFD Controls

Raisuli

I have three TM Cougar MCDs backed by LCD panels. LDDI, AMPCD, and RDDI (one guess which aircraft this is set up for). The Left and Right MCFDs are automatically displayed on the LDDI and RDDI respectively, which is exactly the desired behavior.

The left MCFD controls were mapped to the LDDI buttons without issue, but when I tried to configure the right MCFD to use the RDDI buttons they were greyed out. The only MFD that the right MCFD is allowed to map is the AMPCD, which is in the middle of the setup and isn't the one with the right MCFD displayed on it.

This is more than just a little bit annoying; I can't even understand why you would restrict the device that can be mapped to a specific control in the aircraft.

RDDI%20Issues.PNG

Edited by Raisuli

I have three TM Cougar MCDs backed by LCD panels. LDDI, AMPCD, and RDDI (one guess which aircraft this is set up for). The Left and Right MCFDs are automatically displayed on the LDDI and RDDI respectively, which is exactly the desired behavior.

The left MCFD controls were mapped to the LDDI buttons without issue, but when I tried to configure the right MCFD to use the RDDI buttons they were greyed out. The only MFD that the right MCFD is allowed to map is the AMPCD, which is in the middle of the setup and isn't the one with the right MCFD displayed on it.

This is more than just a little bit annoying; I can't even understand why you would restrict the device that can be mapped to a specific control in the aircraft.

RDDI%20Issues.PNG

I believe it's an issue with how the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's are labeled, in windows under game controllers / control panel. I had trouble to start, when initially setting them up and had to change labeling of MFD1 / MFD2. Both Thrustmaster MFD's function for me, in the new A10CII.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I believe it's an issue with how the Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's are labeled, in windows under game controllers / control panel. I had trouble to start, when initially setting them up and had to change labeling of MFD1 / MFD2. Both Thrustmaster MFD's function for me, in the new A10CII.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Nice call.

It's a bit concerning, though, because left and right MFDs were both "F16 MFD 1" even though they're different names in DCS. They also have the same hardware ID. I changed the names from F16 MFD 1 to F-16 MFD 3 using regedit, and when I restarted DCS the two F16 MFD 3 devices were there, and in the A-10C II it was now the AMPCD it won't let me use. Which is semi-fine.

I will need to re-bind all three MFDs in the F-18, but it recognizes all three and I can assign buttons (I think; nothing is greyed out).

The question is why A-10C II is blocking one of the three MFDs?

It's not that they have the same hardware ID (two of the three do, the F-18 is fine with it, and the A-10C II is using the two with the same ID now). There's something else odd about this new module's controller code.

Nice call.

It's a bit concerning, though, because left and right MFDs were both "F16 MFD 1" even though they're different names in DCS. They also have the same hardware ID. I changed the names from F16 MFD 1 to F-16 MFD 3 using regedit, and when I restarted DCS the two F16 MFD 3 devices were there, and in the A-10C II it was now the AMPCD it won't let me use. Which is semi-fine.

I will need to re-bind all three MFDs in the F-18, but it recognizes all three and I can assign buttons (I think; nothing is greyed out).

The question is why A-10C II is blocking one of the three MFDs?

It's not that they have the same hardware ID (two of the three do, the F-18 is fine with it, and the A-10C II is using the two with the same ID now). There's something else odd about this new module's controller code.

Hey if you could do a quick test for me - to see if you are able to bind the master arm switch to the lower left rocker switch on one of the MFD's (think it's CON) and maybe even the GUN PAC /GUNARM to the lower right rocker switch on the MFD (think it's BRT) - I'd be exceptionally grateful!

I've been trying for quite some time now to bind those master arm switches so I don't have to click on them with the mouse - or toggle them via keyboard (I use VR). I have done that with the F16 and F18, but cannot with the A10C I/II as they are greyed out as you described.

If you could test that easily and let me know, I'd really appreciate it and might have a follow up question for you so I can replicate! It's so convenient.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Sort of. The actual issue is exactly what the OP is saying: that for some unfathomable reason, some modules have these nonsensical restrictions of what input devices are allowed to be bound to which functions. The Hog and the Harrier does it, and it's exactly in the same way — the plane has two MFDs so therefore all connected MFDs must forcibly only ever be allowed to be bound to the MFD functions, and only to the left and right one per the hardware ID and nothing else. Ugh. Just about all other modules will let you bind your MFDs in any which way you'd want to and that's how it should be.

What you're describing is the reason why this dumb setup screws the player over: because the whole restriction mechanism is tied to the devices having the right names and hardware descriptions, and if you change those, the bind locks will just go “sorry, you're not on the list” and refuse to let you into the party. The work-around to make the hardware conform to what the horrible bind restrictions dictate is… well… just a work-around. The proper solution that should be implemented is to absolutely categorically forbid these kinds of idiotic and counter-productive restrictions.

And, of course, you can always work around it by some creative LUA editing, but neither that nor ugly registry hacks should ever have to be employed for something as basic as binding your standard directx input devices to standard functions.

Edited by Tippis

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Hey if you could do a quick test for me - to see if you are able to bind the master arm switch to the lower left rocker switch on one of the MFD's (think it's CON) and maybe even the GUN PAC /GUNARM to the lower right rocker switch on the MFD (think it's BRT) - I'd be exceptionally grateful!

I've been trying for quite some time now to bind those master arm switches so I don't have to click on them with the mouse - or toggle them via keyboard (I use VR). I have done that with the F16 and F18, but cannot with the A10C I/II as they are greyed out as you described.

If you could test that easily and let me know, I'd really appreciate it and might have a follow up question for you so I can replicate! It's so convenient.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Worked for me (at least on the MFDs the A-10C II has blessed as appropriate for use).

And, of course, you can always work around it by some creative LUA editing, but neither that nor ugly registry hacks should ever have to be employed for something as basic as binding your standard directx input devices to standard functions.

From my perspective this seems like something arranged between Thrustmaster and DCS. I've heard the TMWH was released specifically for the A-10C, which may not be true.

If it is then only allowing the module to talk to the Thrustmaster hardware in a specific way seems like the sort of provision you would find in a contract like that.

There's an easier way to rename the duplicates of F16 MFD1 (or2) besides a regedit.

There is no voice-over for my video, but the steps should be easy to follow. You will need the latest MFD driver to accomplish this, otherwise you will not see the option to change the ID.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

There's an easier way to rename the duplicates of F16 MFD1 (or2) besides a regedit.

There is no voice-over for my video, but the steps should be easy to follow. You will need the latest MFD driver to accomplish this, otherwise you will not see the option to change the ID.

That is the method that I was referring to ^^

Cheers,

Ziptie

Worked for me (at least on the MFDs the A-10C II has blessed as appropriate for use).

So you were able to bind the master arm and gun pacarm/gunarm to the rocker switches on an MFD???

Cheers,

Ziptie

So you were able to bind the master arm and gun pacarm/gunarm to the rocker switches on an MFD???

Cheers,

Ziptie

Yup. Left switch became ARM/SAFE and right switch whatever that was. The A-10C was the first module I bought, but for some reason I was drawn to the second module, which had a pointy nose (F-5E), and I still don't remember the nomenclature for the gun/stability augment switch. :)

I really got into DCS for the F/A-18, but it was pre-order so I had to wait quite a while for it.

That is the method that I was referring to ^^

Cheers,

Ziptie

That REALLY blew everything up. Now the A-10C II will only allow me to use one of the three. This is becoming very annoying (and probably one of those minor things the mods pretend don't exist).

<edit>

It gets better...now I can't use ANY of my MFDs with the A-10. This is awesome!

</edit>

Edited by Raisuli

Well I’m intrigued and will be working hard to find out how to be able to bind those arm switches to my left MFD rocker switches. Just have to research how to edit whatever is needed to be edited, so I can be happy!

In regards to your issue - I noticed you had them “named” LDDI and RDDI. Not sure if that is having an impact on the A10C not recognizing them. Mine are labeled as the stock/factory names, which is something like F16 MFD1 / F16 MFD2. Apologies for the vagueness, I am not home to boot PC/DCS to reference

Cheers,

Ziptie

Cheers,

Ziptie

Well I’m intrigued and will be working hard to find out how to be able to bind those arm switches to my left MFD rocker switches. Just have to research how to edit whatever is needed to be edited, so I can be happy!

In regards to your issue - I noticed you had them “named” LDDI and RDDI. Not sure if that is having an impact on the A10C not recognizing them. Mine are labeled as the stock/factory names, which is something like F16 MFD1 / F16 MFD2. Apologies for the vagueness, I am not home to boot PC/DCS to reference

Cheers,

Ziptie

Cheers,

Ziptie

I'm trying to understand why you're having trouble binding them. It was like binding anything else; double click the control on that controller, press the button.

There's magic you can do in the registry to get the LDDI and RDDI working, and they work again. It's beyond crazy ED makes this so hard. The only modules affected are A-10C, A-10C2, and AV8BNA. The A-10A doesn't have this problem.

The other interesting thing is how studiously BN and 9L are not saying anything about it.

It’s just always been grayed out - unable to bind anything on the MFD’s for the A10C I/II. Can bind OSB/rockers to anything I want for the Hornet / Viper - but the A10 seems to be fixed. Not sure either, and really it’s not a big deal as the OSB’s work as intended - would just be great to be able to bind those master arms as I never use the rocker switches to adjust display brightness/con/sym, etc.

Cheers,

Ziptie

It’s just always been grayed out - unable to bind anything on the MFD’s for the A10C I/II. Can bind OSB/rockers to anything I want for the Hornet / Viper - but the A10 seems to be fixed. Not sure either, and really it’s not a big deal as the OSB’s work as intended - would just be great to be able to bind those master arms as I never use the rocker switches to adjust display brightness/con/sym, etc.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Are the MFDs completely greyed out? We might be able to fix that...

• Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Right click an MFD > Properties
  • Select the Hardware tab
  • Click Properties
  • Select the Details tab
  • Under Property select Hardware Ids from the dropdown box
  • Note the IT. In my case HID\VID_044F&PID_B531
  • In Regedit:
  • Go to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
  • Select that Hardware ID
  • Right click OEMName and select Modify
  • Change the name. I used F16 MFD 3
  • Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
  • Same deal. Select the Hardware ID, change the OEMName to the same name you used above
  • I don't know if a reboot is required at this point, but that's the best way to be sure the HID devices are all re-read and registered
  • Fire up DCS and see if that device is usable in the A-10C II

See? So simple, I can understand why ED doesn't think this is a problem.

In regards to your issue - I noticed you had them “named” LDDI and RDDI. Not sure if that is having an impact on the A10C not recognizing them. Mine are labeled as the stock/factory names, which is something like F16 MFD1 / F16 MFD2.

It shouldn't matter — that's just an internal name for them in DCS, and DCS determines what they are by their hardware ID and give them default binds that way. The problem is that if you clear them out, they will sometimes refuse to be rebound because of that “MFD must only be bound to MFD, and only to the correct side” restriction, and you have to clear out their diff.lua files to get the defaults back.

And yeah, it's just absolute nonsense that the A-10 (and Harrier, and maybe some other module that I'm forgetting at the moment) have these restrictions. The vast majority of modules don't, so it's something the module maker chooses to do to cripple the functionality of the devices. I seem to recall that the Jeff had a similar issue for some specific binds when it first released but that was fixed in a later patch.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

It’s just always been grayed out - unable to bind anything on the MFD’s for the A10C I/II. Can bind OSB/rockers to anything I want for the Hornet / Viper - but the A10 seems to be fixed...

The difference between the A-10C (I and II) and the Hornet is, that both hogs have the files "F16 MFD 1.lua" and "F16 MFD 2.lua" under "...\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick". As the hogs have these controller-specific .lua files, any command you want to bind to switches on these controllers must be defined in the controller-specific files. In other words, you need to copy the respective code lines from "default.lua" and paste them into the "F16 MFD X.lua".

The Hornet does not have these controller-specific .lua files and so you can use all commands that are defined in "default.lua" with any controller.

PS: the files with the extension ".diff.lua" do not play a role in this.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The difference between the A-10C (I and II) and the Hornet is, that both hogs have the files "F16 MFD 1.lua" and "F16 MFD 2.lua" under "...\Mods\aircraft\A-10C\Input\A-10C\joystick". As the hogs have these controller-specific .lua files, any command you want to bind to switches on these controllers must be defined in the controller-specific files. In other words, you need to copy the respective code lines from "default.lua" and paste them into the "F16 MFD X.lua".

The Hornet does not have these controller-specific .lua files and so you can use all commands that are defined in "default.lua" with any controller.

PS: the files with the extension ".diff.lua" do not play a role in this.

Apologies, but this kind of stuff is a bit outside my normal comfort zone to mess with, so I am quite unfamiliar with specifics.

Are you saying that in the F16 MFD 1.lua - I would copy a line from the default.lua file, that relates to the master arm and the gun pac/gun arm switches, and then I’d be able to map those rocker switches to those two desired binds?

I’d love to do that, and appreciate the clarification.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Are you saying that in the F16 MFD 1.lua - I would copy a line from the default.lua file, that relates to the master arm and the gun pac/gun arm switches, and then I’d be able to map those rocker switches to those two desired binds?

Yes, Sir!

The "default.lua" has these three lines for the master arm switch:

{down = iCommandPlaneAHCPMasterArm,                                     name = _('Master switch ARM'), category = _('Armament HUD Control Panel')},
{down = iCommandPlaneAHCPMasterSafe,                                     name = _('Master switch SAFE'), category = _('Armament HUD Control Panel')},
{down = iCommandPlaneAHCPMasterTrain,                                     name = _('Master switch TRAIN'), category = _('Armament HUD Control Panel')},

Personally I only use Arm and Safe. So I would copy these two lines and paste them into the "F16 MFD X.lua". The bottom part of the "F16 MFD X.lua" file would then look like this:

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN25'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Increase, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD BRT Increase'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN26'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Decrease, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD BRT Decrease'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN23'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Increase, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD CON Increase'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN24'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Decrease, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD CON Decrease'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN21'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Up           , up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD SYM Increase'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN22'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Dn           , up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD SYM Decrease'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
-- added lines
{down = iCommandPlaneAHCPMasterArm,                                     name = _('Master switch ARM'), category = _('Armament HUD Control Panel')},
{down = iCommandPlaneAHCPMasterSafe,                                     name = _('Master switch SAFE'), category = _('Armament HUD Control Panel')},    
},

axisCommands = {
},
}

Do not use an office application to edit the .lua files! I recommend you use the free Notepad++

PS:

1. Modified files are restored to original when you update or repair DCS World. Therefore, it's necessary to have a backup.

2. If you want to understand what you are doing: I have posted a tutorial here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862001&postcount=214

Edited by LeCuvier
  • Thanks 2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Apologies, but this kind of stuff is a bit outside my normal comfort zone to mess with, so I am quite unfamiliar with specifics.

I’d love to do that, and appreciate the clarification.

Cheers,

Ziptie

You could also just delete MFD 1 and 2 (that´s what I do).

After deleting you can assign any button to wherever you want. The downside:

- you have to manually assign every button to the MFD´s

- like the other method, after each update you have to delete the MFD 1 & 2 again; however you must not reassign every button again. They stay where you´ve put them.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

Yes, Sir!

The "default.lua" has these three lines for the master arm switch:

{down = iCommandPlaneAHCPMasterTrain,                                     name = _('Master switch TRAIN'), category = _('Armament HUD Control Panel')},

Personally I only use Arm and Safe. So I would copy these two lines and paste them into the "F16 MFD X.lua". The bottom part of the "F16 MFD X.lua" file would then look like this:

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN25'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Increase, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD BRT Increase'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN26'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Decrease, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_BRT_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD BRT Decrease'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN23'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Increase, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD CON Increase'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN24'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Decrease, up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_CON_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD CON Decrease'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN21'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Up           , up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD SYM Increase'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN22'}}, down = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Dn           , up = iCommandPlaneLeftMFD_SYM_Stop, name = _('Left MFCD SYM Decrease'), category = _('Left MFCD')},
-- added lines
},

axisCommands = {
},
}

Do not use an office application to edit the .lua files! I recommend you use the free Notepad++

PS:

1. Modified files are restored to original when you update or repair DCS World. Therefore, it's necessary to have a backup.

2. If you want to understand what you are doing: I have posted a tutorial here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2862001&postcount=214

I CANNOT thank you enough!!!!! So thrilled with this, just followed your steps above - successfully bound the master arm, laser arm, and gun pac/arm to the rockers on the left MFD.

So much more helpful, rather than having to use the mouse to click the switch(es) while in combat AO.

Thank you again!

Cheers,

Ziptie

While there are workarounds - such as assigning all keystrokes to each MFD via script hacking, I really don't see any reason why this is not done by default - I don't want any greyed out buttons on ANY controller - especially when it means you are not even able to assign a Shifted command to anything. For example, I use the SYM, CON GAIN & BRT shifted for easy up/down Waypoint, Heading & Course bug ands so on.

While there are workarounds - such as assigning all keystrokes to each MFD via script hacking, I really don't see any reason why this is not done by default - I don't want any greyed out buttons on ANY controller - especially when it means you are not even able to assign a Shifted command to anything. For example, I use the SYM, CON GAIN & BRT shifted for easy up/down Waypoint, Heading & Course bug ands so on.

Thanks for the idea, going to assign the steer point rocker switch on the UFC to the remaining rocker on the left MFD for the A10CII. I assign those functions to my Fanatec McLaren steering whee for the Hornet and F16. Thanks again for the idea!

Cheers,

Ziptie

While there are workarounds - such as assigning all keystrokes to each MFD via script hacking, I really don't see any reason why this is not done by default - I don't want any greyed out buttons on ANY controller - especially when it means you are not even able to assign a Shifted command to anything.

Yeah, this behaviour on how it interprets the different bind options available for a module is one of those baffling and annoying choices in the entire game. If an function is available to be bound make it available to be bound — without limitation of how, where, and to what. It just makes zero sense that it would be restricted in any way.

Fixing that nonsense along with exposing what is possibly the most powerful function available to any kind of bind setup — the ability to separate and bind specifically to button presses and button releases — would go a looooong way towards making the binding functionality top notch (there'd still be some fancy features available in some games, such as innately being about to bind axes to buttons and vice versa, but that's just getting extravagant :P).

The fact that this functionality actually exist under the surface but isn't exposed to the user without hacking in fragile alterations that may break from one build to the next is another very baffling design decision.