GBU-12s with JTAC

EcosseFlyer

I don't recall... if you convert the LST to get a POINT TRACK and DESIGNATE, does the HUD follow the mover as well as the FLIR? Hard to do all those mechanics when rolling in for a guns pass, but it makes sense that the initial ground designation wouldn't follow the movers where a POINT TRACK should.

If I was the engineer designing the system, I would make designating in PTRK engage a continuous target update process so the target point was live to the tracked object. But that's not what happens in DCS. In DCS the target location (by extension HUD symbology) is only updated at the moment of designation.

NVGs operate in the visible light and near infrared spectrum. The IR lasers that are used as marking lasers, as well as IR aiming lasers mounted on rifles, operate in the near infrared. NIR is invisible to the naked eye but otherwise functions much the same way as visible light.

The FLIR imager itself operates in the thermal (long and medium wavelength) infrared region, which is where heat radiation occurs. This portion of the spectrum behaves very differently than visible light, and cameras sensitive in this region can see in complete darkness. This is a lower frequency portion of the spectrum than NIR, so the FLIR camera does not see the marking laser.

Thank you. I figured it was something along these lines, but good to have a real explanation.