CMS functionality described wrong in the HOTAS tables in the manual and FAQ

sthompson

I'm trying to learn the A-10C II from scratch. Quite a learning curve. I've been relying on the HOTAS tables on page 91 of the manual, or the apparently identical HOTAS chart linked as post #9 in the FAQ thread. Both of those indicate functions for the CMS switch that do not match the discussion of countermeasures in the manual, or my experience actually flying the module. For example:

CMS Forward short: Table says this fires one flare, actual behavior is to start the current program.

CMS Forward long: Table says this selects next program. Actual behavior is no different from short.

CMS Aft short: Tables says this fires one chaff. Actual behavior is to end the current program.

CMS Aft long: Table says this selects previous program. Actual behavior is no different from short.

CMS Left: Table says this fires 6 flares. Actual behavior is to select previous program.

CMS Right: Tables says this fires 6 chaff. Actual behavior is to select next program.

CMS Depress: I didn't test this.

I would report this as an error in the manual (not a bug) but it isn't clear how to report errors in the manual. Tried searching the forums to see if this is reported, but the search function in the new forum really sucks and I gave up. Whoever made the call on the new forum clearly didn't do enough beta testing.

And it would be nice if someone fixed the tables linked in the FAQ.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

This is known and reported.

The documentation is correct - but not quite yet. ;)

The new module still has the old functionality for the CMS switch, while the documentation has already been updated to the new behavior.

ED said they will be implementing the new and correct CMS behavior in a future patch. When that happens is anyone's guess, but hopefully soon.

Thanks. "Soon" can't happen soon enough for people like me who waited for the new module before trying to tackle the A-10C. It's been sitting in my hangar, intimidating me, for years!

The documentation cannot be "correct" since the HOTAS table reports one thing and the section of the manual describing the CMS system says something completely different. They can't both be correct. Hopefully the manual will be made consistent and correct as part of the patch.

Can you tell me where this is reported since I can't find any mention in the forums using search.

The new module still has the old functionality for the CMS switch, while the documentation has already been updated to the new behavior.

ED said they will be implementing the new and correct CMS behavior in a future patch. When that happens is anyone's guess, but hopefully soon.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I don't see how that would be correct in the future either, because it doesn't describe how to stop or start programs...

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

I don't see how that would be correct in the future either, because it doesn't describe how to stop or start programs...

CMS Depress Short

Listed in the table from the FAQ as well as in the table in my copy in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Doc\DCS A-10C II Flight Manual EN.pdf

And BIGNEWY said in the thread I already linked above that the manual will be updated when the changes get implemented, though he doesn't know if they'll be included in the upcoming 4 November patch. I'm assuming that refers to the fact that the textual description in the chapter "Activate a Program" refers to the old button assignment, while the HOTAS table already refers to the changed method.

• ED Team

Hi

The software will later be updated to match the manual.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2