Purpose of boresighting?

CBenson89

Just aligning the missile seeker is pointing with where the INS system is pointing, that's all. The TGP is just one easy way to do it, but it can be done by any means that designate a target.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

What is the reason you need to boresight? If you don’t boresight what are the consequences? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

The AGM-65 mounting procedure induces an unknown amount of misalignment. Misalignment is corrected by boresighting the missile LOS to the HUD LOS.

The target used to boresight the missiles to the TGP should be as far away as possible to limit parallax errors.

Missile boresight is most accurate if performed in the air on a realistic target.

The TGP can also be used for boresight but automatic hand-off of a TGP tracked target to an AGM-65H/K is not supported (only possible for AGM-65D/G).

Best regards,

As others have said, boresighting a Maverick is basically the exact same thing as zeroing a sight on any other weapon. It's calibration essentially, to make sure the Maverick and the TGP are looking in the same place.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.