AOA gauge bouncing around

Ozmandi

This may have always done this but I just noticed it after the update.

My AOA gauge bounces around, from 0 - MAX.

It starts before any power is turned on.  The gauge needle bounces around the gauge from 0 - MAX.

After power is turned on, the gauge on the HUD matches what's being shown on the gauge below.

Has anybody else notices this?

Yeah, if you're at close to 0 airspeed, then any air movement around the aircraft that's not exactly head-on can result in very large AOAs (e.g., even a small tailwind when at 0 ground speed will be 180º or -180º AOA), so in any aircraft the AOA measurement isn't really useful at very low airspeeds.

It's strange that I haven't noticed it before.
I flew 4 missions the morning before I updated to the latest version and after updating DCS I noticed the bouncing gauge the first mission I loaded.

So this gauge doesn't need to be electronically enabled?  Because it's moving before I even turn the power on.

Just this morning I tried a Cold Start mission where the plane is in a building and the AOA gauge was at it's highest point.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:03 PM, Ozmandi said:

Just this morning I tried a Cold Start mission where the plane is in a building and the AOA gauge was at it's highest point.

It's raining in the buildings too so the simulation does not go that deep yet.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 12/30/2020 at 6:03 AM, Ozmandi said:

So this gauge doesn't need to be electronically enabled?  Because it's moving before I even turn the power on.

Some of the analog gauges are passive and don't need electrical power to work - I'm not sure if the AOA gauge is supposed to be one of those, but I wouldn't be surprised!

2 hours ago, N22YF said:

Some of the analog gauges are passive and don't need electrical power to work - I'm not sure if the AOA gauge is supposed to be one of those, but I wouldn't be surprised!

Yes, but AoA Indicator is not one of them. Just checked -1. It's electrically driven and should have Off flag when power is off.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

19 hours ago, draconus said:

Yes, but AoA Indicator is not one of them. Just checked -1. It's electrically driven and should have Off flag when power is off.

Ah you're right! Maybe that behavior is a carryover from another FC3 aircraft in which the indicator is passive. 🤷‍♂️