Flaming Cliffs has inspired me!

cobrabase

This is the large trumpeter kit. Testors dark flanker blue turned out to be a bust. WAAAAY too dark. More of a German toned Mig-29S color. I had to replace it with good ol bright blue.

Here is a nice Georgia thunderstorm forming over my house. A good way to choose a color scheme.

0606082003.jpg

Day one: Off to a slow start but a good one. I etched the details using an exacto knife and NO DOGS AROUND ME!

0530081212.jpg

Day 2. Testors... you let me down. The dark blue is just too dark.

0605081152.jpg

" border="0" />

Day 3: AH! Refreshing! Fixed the dark. I had to choose a bright blue vs. faded. I like brand new coats so I'm going to make this bird look like it just pulled out of the plant. :)

0613081517.jpg

" border="0" /> Day 4: some touch ups. Added some more medium blue close to the cockpit and fixed some issues.

Everything's better when wet! I decided to add a trial gloss coat to it just to see if she looked more realistic. Looks nice! Russian aircraft paint can be quite shiny when clean I've seen in journals. Trying to emulate that.

0614081304.jpg

" border="0" />

I still have a LONG way to go but I'm making progress!

0614081305.jpg

" border="0" />

0614081304a.jpg

" border="0" />

Tomorrow... more touchups and fixes. I plan to do a wash when completed. Let me know what y'all think!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why you are not using a Federal Standard colour chart?

It is easier to find the exact colour for a flanker scheme.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I had the same problem with my 1/72 Flanker. Ended up just mixing my own colors till it looked "right" to me. Gonna go over with a white wash to weather it up some.

Next up: Zvezda'a 1/72 Su-39 as an Su-25T!

BTW, what kind of Airbrush are you using?

Wow, cool kit, can you say scale please?!

I had a hard time discovering exact Su-33 colors, lots of books pictures and photos helped me to achieve my goals.

1:32 scale. Massive. The bottom line is that a color chart really doesn't help too much unless you mix your own paint seeing how it all depends if you want to make it look recently painted off the factory floor or been out in the sun and wind for a while.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That color looks great to me. It looks a lot like the schemes you see on some of the few Su-27SMs out there:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia%20-%20Air%20Force/Sukhoi%20Su-27SM/1337673/L/&width=1200&height=812&sok=&photo_nr=5&prev_id=1337969&next_id=1303523

I'm a big stickler for Flanker color and I think yours looks great. Makes me wish I had the space and skill to build models.

I'm surprised at how big 1:32 scale is. I have a 1:18 scale F-16C sitting by my computer. Its a pre-build Elite Force brand toy, but it is fairly accurate. Its about the size of your Flanker. Makes you appreciate the size of that thing. A 1:18 scale Flanker would be huge!