Sometimes lagging, sometimes not..

segax

Hello, second post for me today..

When i downloaded DCS couple of days ago i had no issues with low-med grapich settings and constantly 30fps, that was ok until i tried getting better FPS, and successfully did get 40-50 FPS.. but sometimes when im flying over big cities i get 45 FPS as usual, but sometimes i fly over the same city and i get 10 FPS for some reason, and thats literally unplayable..

My PC:

CPU: I7 2600 @3.40GHz

GPU:NVidia GT 1030 2GB

RAM: 8GB DDR3

SSD:220GB (DCS)

Monitor: 1440x900 (using it as in game resoulution)

I know, BAD PC for DCSW, but what i can, i actually got GT 1030 on giveaway and just bought other components 5 years ago, and they were waiting for their GTX 1660 i believe and then comes this giveaway and i spend all money that were planned for GTX 1660 and stay with GT 1030... (Im stupid)

My IN GAME grapich settings:

Screenshot_1.png

My NVIDIA settings for DCSW:

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Ignore that i marked MAX framerate on second picture..

It will be great if someone has time to help me...

Im big fan of flying, but now no money for new PC.. I plan to buy new PC in a year..

And if you need some of the other settings to help me, TYPE!

I have to say that i deleted %temp% ..

And one question: I have 5GBs free on SSD where is DCSW located, can this affect FPS and these lags.. ?

And the other problem: First time when i launch game and join some mission there is no lags when i spawn, but when i exit mission (not whole game) and join same or differenet mission it start lagging on start of mission and never stop..

And yeah i played a lot with PRELOAD RADIUS, and it seems to affect these drops a little bit, but im not sure!!!

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH! NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE! 

Edited by segax

It might be other software installed on your PC... have you tried looking at task manager and seeing what is active?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

4 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

It might be other software installed on your PC... have you tried looking at task manager and seeing what is active?

Hmm, when im playing DCS i close all other programs, but which softwares are you aiming for? Can you give an example?

Any background service, you have so few resources any one of these could cause a problem... open task manager and order it by cpu usage... the watch and see if something starts eating cpu ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

You can turn off Full Screen in DCS.

Turn off Antialiasing Gamma Correction since you aren't doing AA in DCS.

I leave Low Latency OFF, and Vsync OFF.  Haven't tested low latency mode.   Article on Low Latency Mode here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/system-latency-optimization-guide/

Shader Cache OFF <-- MOST IMPORTANT.

Trilinear Optimization OFF or ON and turn Anisotropic Filtering to X8.  Don't really need it for the Low textures, but the other way should make things look nicer and not eat up too many frames per second.

Otherwise, try dropping the resolution down one notch.  You can enable FXAA in the NCP for cheap AA that doesn't drag down DCS.  Try that if everything else works.

Edited by glide

20 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Any background service, you have so few resources any one of these could cause a problem... open task manager and order it by cpu usage... the watch and see if something starts eating cpu ...

No, MY GPU is at 100% but its always at 100% when i have 50fps or 10 fps, and its not causing a problem im 100% sure..

8 minutes ago, glide said:

You can turn off Full Screen in DCS.

Turn off Antialiasing Gamma Correction since you aren't doing AA in DCS.

I leave Low Latency OFF, and Vsync OFF.  Haven't tested low latency mode.   Article on Low Latency Mode here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/system-latency-optimization-guide/

Shader Cache OFF <-- MOST IMPORTANT.

Trilinear Optimization OFF or ON and turn Anisotropic Filtering to X8.  Don't really need it for the Low textures, but the other way should make things look nicer and not eat up too many frames per second.

Otherwise, try dropping the resolution down one notch.  You can enable FXAA in the NCP for cheap AA that doesn't drag down DCS.  Try that if everything else works.

Ill try that, i will tell you what it does..

Sigh, outside of dcs, your cpu should not be at 100%... it should be close to 0%...certainly not more than 10 with just the task manager open

Edited by speed-of-heat

38 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Sigh, outside of dcs, your cpu should not be at 100%... it should be close to 0%...certainly not more than 10 with just the task manager open

When i close the game my GPU is at 0-7% and same with CPU!

So what is causing that 7% if you are @ 100% cpu in game any one of these processes could ‘stop the cpu working on dcs and going and doing its what ever else it is doing...”

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

So what is causing that 7% if you are @ 100% cpu in game any one of these processes could ‘stop the cpu working on dcs and going and doing its what ever else it is doing...”

NOOO, im not 100% CPU in game, but 100% GPU!!

I've been testing Low Latency Mode = Ultra.  Nvidia recommends this set to Ultra with Vsync OFF.  Works fine so far.

BTW, Shader Cache = OFF moves the shader cache from disk to memory.  You will notice a long load at "Wait Pooled Task -1" the first time you load a mission.  These are the shaders being compiled.  After that it will be fast to load if you get blown up and click "Fly again". 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/guides/system-latency-optimization-guide/

BTW, Nvidia recommends Fullscreen mode in DCS.  (See that article.)  There's some confusion here because you can disable fullscreen optimizations in the Properties dialog for DCS.exe because apparently Windows adds compositing latency with it's full screen optimizations.  I suppose the "out of the box" setup would be leave fullscreen optimizations ON and Fullscreen ON in DCS.  I can't tell if there's a difference.

15 minutes ago, glide said:

BTW, Nvidia recommends Fullscreen mode in DCS.  (See that article.)  There's some confusion here because you can disable fullscreen optimizations in the Properties dialog for DCS.exe because apparently Windows adds compositing latency with it's full screen optimizations.  I suppose the "out of the box" setup would be leave fullscreen optimizations ON and Fullscreen ON in DCS.  I can't tell if there's a difference.

I tested last settings you send and i got same fps but i didnt get any drops to 10, i eill try these settings u send now...

Hello Segax,

Here is my experience :

1) My machine was nearly the same than you in a recent past : 8 GB RAM and GTX 1060.

Windows was swapping because of memory need > RAM...

Check the global memory usage of your machine with native windows tools ( nothing else needed to check that )

=>Everything has become better when i upgraded to 16 GB RAM ( not enough for big mission on big server... , over 20GB is needed sometime )

2) I experienced same problem of performance drop when selecting another mission ( or role in multiplayer )

=>Until you get more RAM, you have to exit the game to workaround the problem.

18 hours ago, fab.13 said:

Hello Segax,

Here is my experience :

1) My machine was nearly the same than you in a recent past : 8 GB RAM and GTX 1060.

Windows was swapping because of memory need > RAM...

Check the global memory usage of your machine with native windows tools ( nothing else needed to check that )

=>Everything has become better when i upgraded to 16 GB RAM ( not enough for big mission on big server... , over 20GB is needed sometime )

2) I experienced same problem of performance drop when selecting another mission ( or role in multiplayer )

=>Until you get more RAM, you have to exit the game to workaround the problem.

Thanks bro, my buget is very low now for someting like PC, but i will look around for more RAM, but problem is i have 4 slots with 2GB RAM, and only 4 slots on motherboard..

14 minutes ago, segax said:

Thanks bro, my buget is very low now for someting like PC, but i will look around for more RAM, but problem is i have 4 slots with 2GB RAM, and only 4 slots on motherboard..

You gonna buy more outdated ddr3 memory but it will not help you at all, because 2gb of video memory not suitable for this sim, you need to have at least 4gb even to play at low settings without constant freeze accidents and frame loss.

maybe will be better to collect some money and start to buy at least in parts the modern ddr4 based gear and 8gb videocard. The secondary market just crowded by the stuff.

I can say exactly that ryzen 1600x not realy much worse than ryzen 3600x for your targets, so u can save too much money but catch up the target and be happy to play with pleasure.

But again do not do any dead end actions like the money waste for ddr3 trash or trying to shove an high end videocard to your antique motherboard.Good luck with this stuff man u can do it. 

★★★ 🇷🇺 ★★★

6 minutes ago, prok said:

You gonna buy more outdated ddr3 memory but it will not help you at all, because 2gb of video memory not suitable for this sim, you need to have at least 4gb even to play at low settings without constant freeze accidents and frame loss.

maybe will be better to collect some money and start to buy at least in parts the modern ddr4 based gear and 8gb videocard. The secondary market just crowded by the stuff.

I can say exactly that ryzen 1600x not realy much worse than ryzen 3600x for your targets, so u can save too much money but catch up the target and be happy to play with pleasure.

But again do not do any dead end actions like the money waste for ddr3 trash or trying to shove an high end videocard to your antique motherboard.Good luck with this stuff man u can do it. 

Actually, i have to say that there is no more lag while im flying, constant 40fps on cockpit, just when i exit mission and click fly again lag starts and i have to restart game and its working again.. i will buy new pc at summer this year...

Segax

About budget, you should think about finding a used machine...
Mine is a 10 years machine  : Asus P8P67 PRO Motherboard + core I5 2500K overclocked to 4,6 Ghz + GTX 1080ti + 32 gb RAM ( DDR3 2133 XMP profile)
And everything run fine even in VR .

On 1/13/2021 at 8:30 PM, fab.13 said:

Segax

About budget, you should think about finding a used machine...
Mine is a 10 years machine  : Asus P8P67 PRO Motherboard + core I5 2500K overclocked to 4,6 Ghz + GTX 1080ti + 32 gb RAM ( DDR3 2133 XMP profile)
And everything run fine even in VR .

I dont think i will buy used machine, i have bad expirience in used machines.. But the main problems in my PC now are GPU and RAM, CPU can work 4-5 years more because its not that bad, i think!!

Something else could have been going on while you flew around the same city in the game, who knows, you will ofcourse get such annomalies with these specs, it's hard to help here specifically unless you go step by step replicating the problem, otherwise just lower the graphics, because with only 2GB VRAM you'll get stuttering in no time if it's swapping (trashing) it to RAM, and RAM being so low as well, it's then swapping RAM onto the pagefile

Chronology matters, the city you have flew over once might have been fine becuase the assets were in memory, then once it got saturated it kept trashing and you got stuttering from that which lowers your FPS, or the city had to be loaded back from pagefile/disk(for the first time) because you were flying in another area previously, but streaming textures usually don't cause the engine to stall (or they don't suppose to) so I'm not sure if that would be the biggest cause.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

14 hours ago, Worrazen said:

Something else could have been going on while you flew around the same city in the game, who knows, you will ofcourse get such annomalies with these specs, it's hard to help here specifically unless you go step by step replicating the problem, otherwise just lower the graphics, because with only 2GB VRAM you'll get stuttering in no time if it's swapping (trashing) it to RAM, and RAM being so low as well, it's then swapping RAM onto the pagefile

Chronology matters, the city you have flew over once might have been fine becuase the assets were in memory, then once it got saturated it kept trashing and you got stuttering from that which lowers your FPS, or the city had to be loaded back from RAM pagefile because you were flying in another area, but streaming textures usually don't cause the engine to stall (or they don't suppose to) so I'm not sure if that would be the biggest cause.

Ah, yeah i know, the only real fix for this problem is upgrading a pc, or buying new one..