Tobii 5C eyetracker

Snowblind

Hi all! 

I ve tried with ghost settings and in game negative curves, with good but not excellent outcome.

Then I messed around with Facetrack, I got a bit better results, but still I cant compare it to my Delan clip + Opentrack.

The Accela filter in open track does something that stabilises and smooths out the lag and jumpiness to a playable and even enjoyable degree.

With Tobii so far I just cant find a setting where, if I zoom in over the cockpit buttons, It wont jump around and let me click the button without chasing.

After talking to Tobii they said that ED should do the magic and add native support for the gadget. This was done in Star Citizen and it works like a charm out of the box.

So please ED make us happy, I long for the day I wont have to wear anything but my aptx LL earbuds and enjoy the game weightlessly..

• Like 1

I agree Native Support in the future would be for the best. 

@Vortex7, when you described "zooming in over the cockpit buttons and jumping around" I got the impression you are using Head Tracking and Eye Tracking (Glance) at the same time.

Have you tried dialing down the Gaze tracking settings or just turning them off all together by setting the Pitch and Yaw Limits to 0 degrees?

For Example Here are my "Dialed Down" Gaze tracking settings

TOBII Eye Tracker 5C Setting
Gaze tracking settings:  
Responsiveness 60%

Sensitivity gradient:

Exponent 1.50
Inflection point 0.10
Start point 0.00
End point 0.90

Limits:

Yaw 25  <>  -25
Pitch 20  <>  -20
Pitch mirror OFF

Cheers and good luck!

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

13 hours ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

I agree Native Support in the future would be for the best. 

@Vortex7, when you described "zooming in over the cockpit buttons and jumping around" I got the impression you are using Head Tracking and Eye Tracking (Glance) at the same time.

Have you tried dialing down the Gaze tracking settings or just turning them off all together by setting the Pitch and Yaw Limits to 0 degrees?

For Example Here are my "Dialed Down" Gaze tracking settings

TOBII Eye Tracker 5C Setting
Gaze tracking settings:  
Responsiveness 60%

Sensitivity gradient:

Exponent 1.50
Inflection point 0.10
Start point 0.00
End point 0.90

Limits:

Yaw 25  <>  -25
Pitch 20  <>  -20
Pitch mirror OFF

Cheers and good luck!

Yes, I have gaze completely off..by jumping I mean its like its feeding some unwanted input into the cameras axises, even when I dont move at all..but the whole screen is jumping up and quickly down. sometimes at 3-5 degrees and sometimes 30-40 degrees. Did you actually manage to make it stable by these settings?

On 4/16/2021 at 1:53 AM, bfeld said:

I was so pleased by the Tobii  5 and DCS finally supporting all 6 DOF.

But does anyone know how to get it to work with the open beta? Seems like it's always trying to detect the release version. Tried to rename folders, copy or link binaries to trick it, but nothing worked.

You should try uninstalling, rebooting, and then after installing again run for the first time its app with administrator privileges.

2 hours ago, Vortex7 said:

Yes, I have gaze completely off..by jumping I mean its like its feeding some unwanted input into the cameras axises, even when I dont move at all..but the whole screen is jumping up and quickly down. sometimes at 3-5 degrees and sometimes 30-40 degrees. Did you actually manage to make it stable by these settings?

When I first got the EyeTracker I watched too many Tobii videos and played around with the settings for a few days.  So far so good in DCS. 

Here are my Head Tracking Settings for comparison:

(Maybe you have a setting or two that you can adjust and get back to TrackIR 5 type performance)

Head tracking settings

Enable head tracking ON
Head auto center ON

Head rotation

Enable head roll ON
Yaw sensitivity 3.75
Pitch sensitivitry 2.75
Roll sensitivity 1.00

Sensitivity gradient

Exponent 2
Inflection point 0.45
Start point 0.00
End point 0.80

View angle limits

Yaw 130  <>  -130
Pitch 90  <>  -30
Pitch mirror OFF

Head position

Enable head position ON
X sensitivity 0.95
Y sensitivity 2.00
Z sensitivity 1.5

Another tip I found was related to Jittery Tracking:

Use Mouse Polling rate 125 not 1000 .  For DCs if setting is not there it could result in Jittery Tracking.
Test: Use ALT + C to look around with the mouse see if is extremely jittery and not smooth. 
The fix for that was to change Mouse Polling rate from 1000 down to 125or 100.

• Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

34 minutes ago, YSIAD_RIP said:

When I first got the EyeTracker I watched too many Tobii videos and played around with the settings for a few days.  So far so good in DCS. 

(Maybe you have a setting or two that you can adjust and get back to TrackIR 5 type performance)

Head tracking settings

Enable head tracking ON
Head auto center ON

Head rotation

Enable head roll ON
Yaw sensitivity 3.75
Pitch sensitivitry 2.75
Roll sensitivity 1.00

Sensitivity gradient

Exponent 2
Inflection point 0.45
Start point 0.00
End point 0.80

View angle limits

Yaw 130  <>  -130
Pitch 90  <>  -30
Pitch mirror OFF

Head position

Enable head position ON
X sensitivity 0.95
Y sensitivity 2.00
Z sensitivity 1.5

Use Mouse Polling rate 125 not 1000 .  For DCs if setting is not there it could result in Jittery Tracking.
Test: Use ALT + C to look around with the mouse see if is extremely jittery and not smooth. 

Thanks for these! I ll give em a go!

The mouse thing also seems interesting!

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, Vortex7 said:

You should try uninstalling, rebooting, and then after installing again run for the first time its app with administrator privileges.

Thanks for the hint, it didn't work though, but meanwhile, I found a solution. So for those with the same problem:

Problem: I had DCS World (2.5.6) and DCS World OpenBeta (2.7) installed in their default directories in parallel. When choosing the correct binary for DCS 2.7 in the Tobii Game Hub, it would always jump back to the DCS 2.5.6 directory.

Solution: After some search I found a hint coming from a Tobii Dev: The Game Hub chooses the "DCS Worlddirectory if that exists. So I simply renamed "DCS World" to "DCSWorldXYZ" (doesn't matter what you actually name it) and hence, Tobii Game Hub let me correctly choose the binary in "DCS World OpenBeta".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 11:00 PM, YSIAD_RIP said:

Head tracking settings

Enable head tracking ON
Head auto center ON

Head rotation

Enable head roll ON
Yaw sensitivity 3.75
Pitch sensitivitry 2.75
Roll sensitivity 1.00

Sensitivity gradient

Exponent 2
Inflection point 0.45
Start point 0.00
End point 0.80

View angle limits

Yaw 130  <>  -130
Pitch 90  <>  -30
Pitch mirror OFF

Head position

Enable head position ON
X sensitivity 0.95
Y sensitivity 2.00
Z sensitivity 1.5

Thanks for the tip but how do you set your Mouse Polling rate?

Any gaming mouse will let you adjust your polling rate (or Report Rate) using their provided software and some may have buttons on the mouse to change the rate. 

For example:  I use a Logitech G700s and to change polling rate I installed their Latest  Logitech Gaming Software 

For any other mice you probably need to download it's driver or an equivalent utility.  

Cheers.

@YSIAD_RIP does mouse polling rate affect headtracking using either facetrack, opentrack or tobii though?

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

Do you guys happen to know the setting to turn Gaze completely off?

Even if I set gaze limits to zero it still seems like it wants to track my eyes so the screen jitters around if my eyes move and try to focus on a specific thing in the cockpit.

I've actually stopped using it because of this and reverted to TIR with a newly purchased wireless LED clip. I'd like to use the Tobii but the lack of focus and the fact that I can't seem to turn gaze off at all gives me headaches.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

On 5/13/2021 at 10:11 AM, Snowblind said:

@YSIAD_RIP does mouse polling rate affect headtracking using either facetrack, opentrack or tobii though?

My understanding of the articles I read was that the Polling Rate "glitch" was a TOBII only thing. Take into account that new versions of tobii and windows updates have come out and the situation could have changed.  Hummm.. .Maybe it is like the current Pandemic situation for the last year.  The Truth Keeps Changing? Lol.. sorry 

8 hours ago, Megalax said:

Do you guys happen to know the setting to turn Gaze completely off?

Even if I set gaze limits to zero it still seems like it wants to track my eyes so the screen jitters around if my eyes move and try to focus on a specific thing in the cockpit.

I've actually stopped using it because of this and reverted to TIR with a newly purchased wireless LED clip. I'd like to use the Tobii but the lack of focus and the fact that I can't seem to turn gaze off at all gives me headaches.

@Megalax - Interesting it looks like what you did should work too. (It did work for me just a few minutes ago as I had to test)  

• Have you tried the following:
    • Responsiveness to 0% should be all you really need, but you can always crank up the other settings.

Gaze tracking settings  
Responsiveness 0%   <<< Technically this should be all you need >>>

Sensitivity gradient

Exponent 5.00
Inflection point 0.99
Start point 1.00
End point 1.00

Limits

Yaw 0<>  -0
Pitch 0<>  -0

Good luck.. 

That didn't work. It still tracks my eyes. I don't feel like there is any way to turn gaze off, at least not to the degree I want it off. I've never been so aware of eye movement until I plugged this thing in.

I know its an eye tracker but I just can't get used to this thing. Head tracking works perfectly fine, but the constant micro movement caused by eyes is super distracting.

Megalax's Livery Studio

i know when i blink my head movement goes up because of how sensitive the headtracking is. i dont actually think its tracking your eyes, its just we do micro movements with our head and this tracker is picking them up. 

8700k @5.2ghz delided \ Asus Maxiumus XI code \ RTX 3090 FE \ 32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3600 \ 1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME \ 1TB samsung 850evo \ 2TB WD black HDD \ MFG crosswind v2 \  Virpil WARBRD X2 Constellation Alpha L+R and Mongoose CM3 throttle \ ASUSPG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide 

[/i]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM

I don't think so. I can hold my head perfectly still by holding it against my chair's headrest. Its following my eyes, trust me.

I want to love this thing, I really do, all $230 worth of love. But this thing gives me actual head aches, which I never got with TIR. 

Megalax's Livery Studio

Does anybody know if Tobii has the same issues as TrackIR when it comes to head tracking smoothness?

For TrackIR5 it is a common problem with G-SYNC monitors when you cannot maintain a stable framerate of 120fps or 60fps: the head movements become very choppy (as TrackIR has a refresh rate of 60hz you only get a smooth experience if you "lock" the game's frame rate at a multiple of 60).

In TrackIR my solution was to lock the framerate at 60fps with Nvidia Control Panel which is a bit sad because I could actually push 80-100fps. But choppy TrackIR makes it an unpleasant experience.

So I wonder if any of these limitations also apply to Tobii?

Edited by Lazerhawk
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, Megalax said:

I don't think so. I can hold my head perfectly still by holding it against my chair's headrest. Its following my eyes, trust me.

I want to love this thing, I really do, all $230 worth of love. But this thing gives me actual head aches, which I never got with TIR. 

Hi @Megalax

Have you tried the latest Tobii GameHub ver 2.4.0 that was released about 2 days ago? 

• One of the many new features included is: Enable gaze tracking  On/Off

Edited by YSIAD_RIP

• 2 months later...

I could use some help. Hello all.

My Tobii 5 works very well in Star Cititzen and in FS2020 unfortunately still/only with FaceNoIR.

In DCS works only once in a while, what can be the reason ?

• I have the DCS-beta but renamed the folder to "DCS World".
  • The HeadTracker.dll is in the "DCS World/bin...".
  • TobiiGameHub is started in the admin.
  • The Tobii 5 is directly connected to the PC USB3.

What else can I do, so that the Tobii 5 always works in DCS ?

Many greetings
Blackcrow

Grüsse von Blackcrow

[sIGPIC]http://www.blackyspage.de/sig/A-10C_03_D.gif[/sIGPIC]

Sometimes when switching between planes or restarting DCS my Tobii 5 also stops working. 

• I will assume that when you renamed DCS World Folder you are still pointing Tobii Game Hub Settings for DCS world to the correct bin folder location.

Try this workaround:

1. Alt Tab to the DCS World - Settings - Tobii Game Hub window
  2. Disable then Enable the DCS World Settings by clicking the On / Off slider twice 

I think I read this once somewhere in the Tobii FAQ or Forums.

Cheers. 

Unfortunately, this only worked once.

After that I had uninstalled everything with the Revo uninstaller the Tobii software including the Tobii HUB software.

Then reinstalled and now it works.

Note: The Revo uninstaller delete only the black bold entries, NOT simply delete everything ... this can cause very bad damage !

• Like 1

Grüsse von Blackcrow

[sIGPIC]http://www.blackyspage.de/sig/A-10C_03_D.gif[/sIGPIC]