WIn 2004 version killed performance, can't revert to 1909

BMGZ06

I have had my FPS cut in half with 2004. I tried reinstalling gpu drivers, turning off HPET, HAGS, Game mode, Increasing paging file to 32gb. Plus redoing nvidia settings again and even adjusting SS in steamvr to the min does not increase FPS at all. I was getting up to 90fps over water and high alt and had little to no stutters now it is a mess. I have HT turned off and rig is 9900ks at 5.1ghz with 32gb ram and 2080ti oc'd. Turning AF and shadows off makes give no increase either. IT used to make a big difference. I also disabled gamedvr again. 

No idea what I can do now. Not sure if reinstalling win 10 off my USB will work since I think it will just update to latest version  right off. My win 10 USB has 1803 on it I think. 1909 was running great. I no longer have windows.old on my system for some reason. I don't remember deleting it after it updated a few days ago. I had updates to ask before installing then it just ignored that and installed 2004 and forced it. So is this just what MS is doing now? 

Anyone figure a way to make 2004 work after it killed performance? 

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

no I have not. I will take a look at that. just crazy how no adjustment to SS in steamvr makes any difference. I ran the res down to 780 and still sits in the 40-50's with terrible stutters.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

i9 9900k..64gb ram..2080oc..reverb g2

I tried every combo of settings for 3 weeks and was about to go back to 2d yesterday.

Set steam resolution in main at lowest...20% i think.

Set per application DCS in video to 244% or whatever gets you to 2160 giving a combined res to of about 49%in total.

Using motion smoothing forced on and legacy reprojection on.

Got  much smoother for me with these settings.Pegged at 45fps most of time and can see 90 in cockpit if enabled in some instances.

It feels like my rift s now but clearer obviously.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing the DWM.exe memory leak but I easily go over 32gb in most DCS games.

Using standbylist cleaner to purge memory and ending dwm.exe several times per Dcs gaming session.

At least my headset is future proof and when vid cards become available at reasonable prices we will get more performance/clarity. 

Edited by aceviper

4 hours ago, aceviper said:

i9 9900k..64gb ram..2080oc..reverb g2

I tried every combo of settings for 3 weeks and was about to go back to 2d yesterday.

Set steam resolution in main at lowest...20% i think.

Set per application DCS in video to 244% or whatever gets you to 2160 giving a combined res to of about 49%in total.

Using motion smoothing forced on and legacy reprojection on.

Got  much smoother for me with these settings.Pegged at 45fps most of time and can see 90 in cockpit if enabled in some instances.

It feels like my rift s now but clearer obviously.

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing the DWM.exe memory leak but I easily go over 32gb in most DCS games.

Using standbylist cleaner to purge memory and ending dwm.exe several times per Dcs gaming session.

At least my headset is future proof and when vid cards become available at reasonable prices we will get more performance/clarity. 

I tried all the settings as well and nothing. This performance hit came right after MS forced the 2004 update somehow. I have auto updates turned off. I am a bit pissed about that and I cant revert to 1909 as said due to no windows.old folder anymore. I am getting a new SSD today and going to install win 10 again and try to keep it from getting past 1909 hopefully. My other SSD is still on 1909 but that is the SSD I use for work only. Not enough room on it for DCS. Getting another 970 EVO PLUS today. My FPS was much higher and far less stutter with 1909. I see the normal 90fps in the game menus still and would see it over water or high alt or when I look straight up but now it never goes above 57fps and it only does that in fast spikes. Most of the time it is going from 20-40 no matter the settings I use.

installed 1909 version today on a new ssd and everything is back to normal. I was hoping someone had figured out what is going on with 2004 to get back lost performance. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I believe if your MS account is in the Developers Program, you will get 2004 automagically.  I am wondering about 2004 as well.  Perhaps a new thread on 2004 compatibility is required.  Don't want to hijack your support thread.

Oh damn, I haven't played in a while and now Im wondering whether I'm gonna get my performance halved by some crap Windows 10 patch....

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Oh damn, I haven't played in a while and now Im wondering whether I'm gonna get my performance halved by some crap Windows 10 patch....

I have the latest and not seeing any issues.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

the OS versions you're referring  to are DEAD.

The only version working with last VR generation is 20H2 , you can't even use the G2 with older windows version.

Best regards.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

5 hours ago, Goa said:

the OS versions you're referring  to are DEAD.

The only version working with last VR generation is 20H2 , you can't even use the G2 with older windows version.

Best regards.

Really it wont work? How am I using 1909 with the G2 then? Use it every day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMGZ06 said:

Really it wont work? How am I using 1909 with the G2 then? Use it every day. 

https://www.roadtovr.com/latest-windows-update-includes-visual-improvements-hp-reverb-g2-wmr-headsets/

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black