Reverb G2 black screen

AlpineGTA

On 3/29/2022 at 1:14 PM, Japo32 said:

If you have the v1 cable, then that happens. You need the v2 cable. HP Reverb G2 6 Meter Cable (22J68AA)

if you are in garantee, you should have it for free. Ask HP.

I have the new cable and the same problem from time to time. But not only with DCS, and not only black. I sometimes get a back or a blue screen in the G2 until i reboot my machine. But it's unpredictable to happen and new since the last Windows 11 release (21h2)

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

• 3 weeks later...

Call HP and tell them to send you a frickin cable.  That's just basic trouble shooting, #3 after "is the computer plugged in" and "is the power on".  Especially now that you've isolated the problem to usb, and proved that the USB port works.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem twice now.
First about 6 months ago my v1 cable died (G2 screen black and error code 1-4). HP sent me a v2 replacement cable and that solved the problem.

Some days ago my G2 stopped working again with the same problems as above. It was working fine one day before. I have tried everything what the forums say and even tried a brand new v2 cable that I bought as a spare. Still no joy.

Than as a last resort I made a widows restore to a point about a month ago. I have freshly installed windows 10 pro about a month ago so that point was just after the windows was installed and updated.

The restore was successful and when starting Microsoft app store I noticed 3 errors regarding Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. I cleared them/canceled them and stared Mixed reality portal and the G2 is now working as before!!!

So i guess some background updates in windows corrupted the WMR platform which is really bad…also because the user doesn’t notice anything. I thought the cable was again the problem but this time it was windows.

I will have to carefully do the next windows updates and check if they brake WMR again.

Hope this helps people because the Reverb G2 is great and makes MSFS2020 worth while. Going through this frustrations second time now I know how annoying and disappointing it can be.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/24/2023 at 3:25 AM, Dangerzone said:

Does anyone know if the G2 cable is compatible with a G1 headset? I'm starting to get the odd blackout (for about 10 seconds then comes good again), and just trying to get ahead of this. 

The G2 cable doesn't fit the G1, different connectors.

Edited by PaulToo

On 2/25/2023 at 2:29 AM, tangobravo said:

Dangerzone,  I recently changed to V2 cable on my V1 headset after getting black screen and white lines, V2 cable is compatible and fixed my issue.

Just wondering - did you have to purchase a power unit to plug into the V2 cable's power unit for it to work, or does it accept power from the USB like the G1 did?

1 hour ago, Rainer_B. said:

The G2 comes with a separate power unit for the cable. No USB power here. It's a round plug.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how he's adapted the G2 cable for the G1 headset then. If he's had to purchase a separate power adapter in order for it to work.

14 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out how he's adapted the G2 cable for the G1 headset then. If he's had to purchase a separate power adapter in order for it to work.

I read his comment differently.  As in v1 of the G2 headset.  I got an early release of the G2 headset and had to upgrade my cable from the one it came with as well.

1 hour ago, steveropa said:

I read his comment differently.  As in v1 of the G2 headset.  I got an early release of the G2 headset and had to upgrade my cable from the one it came with as well.

Oh - OK. Must have been lost in translation. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like it finally happened. VR headset unusable because HP won't supply a proprietary cable. Thanks for confirming before I committed more $'s to HP.

• 2 months later...

AlpineGTA 

Hi there.... same issue here.  I got the Nvidia 3080 and it started to happened.  Not a clue of what is going on but it wasnt like these before.  I use to update ALL my drivers so maybe as you said could be an update.   Keep in touch.

I managed to get hold of another 6m HP cable. Headset works perfectly now. Looks like (at least in my case) it definitely was the old cable failing. 

My symptoms were that it first started not being as good at headtracking as it used to be. Then it'd lose the track on occasion (if I was looking down, etc) - then it went to having a black screen for a few moments, then returning. Then finally - it was a black screen and it was a paperweight. 

Unfortunately the place I purchased from only had one in stock at an international store via Amazon. I did end up finally getting a quote from HP's partner here in Australia for a replacement cable - just short of $300 - so it really wasn't an option for a 4yo headset - I would have opted to buy another. 

I have mine working again which I'm grateful for - and hoping it lasts a while to see what 2023 may bring for PC VR - I'm watching Varjo with great interest.

Update report. When I first posted this thread it was for the original G2 on the original cable. After going through 3 cables and two headsets I eventually gave up, got a refund off HP and went back to using my Quest 2. Then last year, when the G2 was on sale I decided to try my luck again and bought another G2 with the v2 cable. Everything was fine at first, until one day, whilst adjusting the fit, the headset went black again. I thought I'd overstressed the cable by bending it too much, just near where it plugs in, where the headset and the side straps pivot. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work and after seeing how difficult it was to get replacement cables I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it all again, put it aside and went back to using my Quest 2 again.

The a few months ago, whilst I was tweaking my VR settings, for some reason I just decided to plug my G2 back in again and try it. And amazingly it was working! Same headset, same cable, exactly the same PC, so I really can't say how it was just working again but I've been using it and it's been fine ever since.

So, I'm sorry, that's not really helpful to anyone experiencing a black screen. I don't know what caused mine to work again but I do think that in most cases, if you're experiencing a black screen with your G2 it's probably a faulty cable. I think it's a poor design the way the cable can bend so much right behind where it plugs into the headset. I try not to pivot mine too much and bend the cable when I take it on and off.

I also have the cable routed around the back of the headset and then down the right hand side, so that it protrudes from the front. This lessons the weight and pull on the connection, compared to having it tugging at the back.

• Like 1

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2

13 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

Update report. When I first posted this thread it was for the original G2 on the original cable. After going through 3 cables and two headsets I eventually gave up, got a refund off HP and went back to using my Quest 2. Then last year, when the G2 was on sale I decided to try my luck again and bought another G2 with the v2 cable. Everything was fine at first, until one day, whilst adjusting the fit, the headset went black again. I thought I'd overstressed the cable by bending it too much, just near where it plugs in, where the headset and the side straps pivot. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to work and after seeing how difficult it was to get replacement cables I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it all again, put it aside and went back to using my Quest 2 again.

The a few months ago, whilst I was tweaking my VR settings, for some reason I just decided to plug my G2 back in again and try it. And amazingly it was working! Same headset, same cable, exactly the same PC, so I really can't say how it was just working again but I've been using it and it's been fine ever since.

So, I'm sorry, that's not really helpful to anyone experiencing a black screen. I don't know what caused mine to work again but I do think that in most cases, if you're experiencing a black screen with your G2 it's probably a faulty cable. I think it's a poor design the way the cable can bend so much right behind where it plugs into the headset. I try not to pivot mine too much and bend the cable when I take it on and off.

I also have the cable routed around the back of the headset and then down the right hand side, so that it protrudes from the front. This lessons the weight and pull on the connection, compared to having it tugging at the back.

Well while it could be a bad cable but you stated you were getting USB errors? Was it the dreaded 4-1 error??? IF so this can be fixed by getting a specific PCIe USB Card I think it was a specific starttek one and use that as it has better power especially if on the V1 cable. I still use a V1 cable and another thing is use the updated Mixed reality portal I do not have issues even tho I use a v1 cable..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2