7zip doesn't cut it

Johnny Dioxin

I'm keen to know what people are using for their miz file archiving - I've used 7zip for as long as I can remember, but recently it has started returniing errors.

The latest release version is from 2019, so I'm guessing things have moved on and the 7zip dev hasn't caught up. What are people using these days?

7z will unarchive okay (though it gives header errors) but I need to make sure everything will be okay when I zip it back up after editing.

Cheers

JD

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Always used 7zip. Still using it. 7zip 19.00. Works as always have been for me.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

It happens in every miz file - official ones as well as 3rd party. Never used to - I'll just reinstall and see what happens. I started using the installer instead of the zipped 7zip program with my current windows install, so first I'll try going back to using the zipped download.

edit: I see why - they only release it with an installer now. They have the next version ready in alpha at the moment so I tried that - same result 😞

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Okay - if I open the archive and then extract I don't get the error - only happens if I extract it by right-clicking and using the menu. That's good enough.

Thanks for your input 🙂

Kneeboard Guides

Because I am adding a lot of stuff and need to edit two mission files and put a large quantity of additional files into a folder. Much easier to extract, do my thing, then archive it up again.

I'm sure everyone does things the way they feel comfortable with and is most useful to them - there is no reason why I shouldn't unarchive then zip it up. I'm pleased you are happy with how you do it and it suits your needs - it doesn't suit mine 😉

PS - I've also had numerous occasions in the past where I have had an archive open and being edited when 7zip has crashed or frozen up and I've lost my work - I'll make sure that won't happen again.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin (Brixmis)

Kneeboard Guides