SA format: STEP doesn't work in EXP mode

leon737

The behavior described on the page is nothing like what I experience.

First of all - STEP doesn't just step between hostile contacts, it steps between all contacts (friend or foe).

Secondly - when TDC priority is on the SA page, STEP does not cycle through different contacts - it steps to where the TDC is (and doesn't cycle between contacts).

Thirdly - when TDC priority is on the SA page, STEP does not "replace" the TDC with the rectangular box (this is only achieved) when TDC priority is not SA page.

So I am curious - does the manual need to be modified, or does the behavior in game need to be modified?

Cheers,

Ziptie

image.png

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

@Ziptie

One - I think at one point in DCS it only stepped through non-friendly trackfiles but it should step through everything by rank now.

Second - Pretty sure it should still cycle through all HAFUs regardless. However, if the cursor is over a HAFU that trackfile is the first track STEP'd to. But it should still cycle thru everything after that.

Third - Your wording is confusing, I think there might be a typo there haha. But, the fact the cursor shows on the SA format with the TDC NOT assigned to it is a bug in and of itself. Cursors should only be displayed on formats when the TDC is assigned to them. You see this properly implemented on the Az/El format but the SA and Attack formats haven't been fixed yet.

From another Hornet sim I believe that the STEP box should only be available when TDC is assigned to the SA as well, since it's basically a replacement for the cursor, and the cursor should only be displayed when TDC is assigned.

Edited by Jak525

24 minutes ago, Jak525 said:

@Ziptie

Third - Your wording is confusing, I think there might be a typo there haha. But, the fact the cursor shows on the SA format with the TDC NOT assigned to it is a bug in and of itself. Cursors should only be displayed on formats when the TDC is assigned to them. You see this properly implemented on the Az/El format but the SA and Attack formats haven't been fixed yet.

Read the image.

"STEP function replaces the TDC cursor with a rectangular box"

It's not "my" wording - it's in the flight manual.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

29 minutes ago, Jak525 said:

@Ziptie

From another Hornet sim I believe that the STEP box should only be available when TDC is assigned to the SA as well, since it's basically a replacement for the cursor, and the cursor should only be displayed when TDC is assigned.

I have the OSB pushbutton that corresponds with STEP when SA page is displayed on AMPCD, bound to my HOTAS, so I can cycle through the contacts (when TDC priority is not assigned to SA page)- to have better (more continuous) SA on a hostile - also correlating data with radar display, to ensure I am engaging the desired target.  Side note - I do also have the AZEL displayed when I am performing A/A engagements.

I am quite familiar with the Hornet, and stay up with the "new" DCS updates, as they roll out.

Simply acknowledging your post - and contributing to the fact that either they need to update their flight manual - or change the implemented functionality in game.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

@Ziptie

Chuck's guide isn't ED's manual, so not for ED anyway. I actually looked up that statement about non-friendlies and looks like what's from Chuck's guide is actually from the Hoggit wiki's F18 page which I maintain. Didn't realize that was there, but I've amended it. Might've been put there due to the SA format not ranking friendlies (trackfiles on the SA vs. AzEl/Attack are in their own two bubbles as I'm sure you've seen, a big issue in and of itself as well).

As for cycling contacts with TDC priority not on the SA format, that makes sense, though not sure if that should actually be possible. Could be though.

By confusing wording I meant this sorry: "when TDC priority is on the SA page, STEP does not "replace" the TDC with the rectangular box (this is only achieved) when TDC priority is not SA page."

Edited by Jak525

2 hours ago, Ziptie said:

It's not "my" wording - it's in the flight manual.

thats chucks guide. its not an official manual for IRL plane or from ED. its literally just one ordinary DCS player making these PDFs in his free time.

regarding STEP, iirc there is currently a bug where trackfile ranks on radar page and on SA are sometimes different. so that might be a bit disfunctional.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

So, uh, a quick test of the issue here indicates there is no bug. For the issue OP mentioned, I am still able to use the STEP function while in the SA Expanded view.

Furthermore the issue Ziptie mentioned about the STEP box not cycling trackfiles when entered after cursoring over a trackfile doesn't seem to be present either. It appears to be working as intended. I cursor over a HAFU, press STEP. STEP box appears over that HAFU. Subsequent presses of the STEP button cycle each trackfile.

28 minutes ago, dorianR666 said:

iirc there is currently a bug where trackfile ranks on radar page and on SA are sometimes different. so that might be a bit disfunctional.

Yep, it's a pretty big issue. I think they need to rework/improve the entire MSI trackfile system at some point probably, and ensure it's all synced up.

13 hours ago, Jak525 said:

@Ziptie

Chuck's guide isn't ED's manual, so not for ED anyway. I actually looked up that statement about non-friendlies and looks like what's from Chuck's guide is actually from the Hoggit wiki's F18 page which I maintain. Didn't realize that was there, but I've amended it. Might've been put there due to the SA format not ranking friendlies (trackfiles on the SA vs. AzEl/Attack are in their own two bubbles as I'm sure you've seen, a big issue in and of itself as well).

As for cycling contacts with TDC priority not on the SA format, that makes sense, though not sure if that should actually be possible. Could be though.

By confusing wording I meant this sorry: "when TDC priority is on the SA page, STEP does not "replace" the TDC with the rectangular box (this is only achieved) when TDC priority is not SA page."

Yeah, just literally realized the guide I have been referencing is "Chuck's guide"

Not often I even dig into the "manual" as I am used to how the aircraft functions - but was simply reading the page after reading the OP.

Either way, works for me (in the aircraft) as I am used to how it has been implemented.  Back to not reading the manual and operating the aircraft proficiently.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• ED Team

Marking correct as is, maybe chuck needs to update his guide. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2