Slight turns wile taxing with pedals but without braking.

Shmal

So, in reality MiG-21 has no any ability to make slight turns with pedals on the ground with no braking while taxing!

It has no any mechanical devices for it and has no any way to turn like now we can do it the DCS by pushing one pedal.

It has no steering nose wheel! It is free rotating wheel.

It has to turn with one pedal and brakes only!

I found pretty good video of taxing the MiG-21 where you easy to see like MiG-21 starting to turn after using brakes only, making a nod first:

Edited by Shmal

Мой позывной в DCS: _SkyRider_

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My callsign on DCS is: _SkyRider_

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

5 minutes ago, Shmal said:

So, in reality MiG-21 has no any ability to make slight turns with pedals on the ground 

If the taxi speed is high enough, the tail rudder has no authority at all on the taxing direction?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

3 minutes ago, Shmal said:

So, in reality MiG-21 has no any ability to make slight turns with pedals on the ground with no braking while taxing!

It has no any mechanical devices for it and has no any way to turn like now we can do it the DCS with pedals.

It has no steering nose wheel! It is free rotating wheel with locking device.

It has turning with one pedal and brakes only!

You can turn in two ways:

1) Full pedal forward (left or right) and then you adjust the braking power to that side wheel with handbrake. This is the primary method, used for taxiing and take-off.

2) You apply needed braking power with handbrake, and then control the amount for left/right with pedals doing small differential braking. This is for landing to maximize the stopping distance.

The difference is that if you do not have enough rudder authority (from airspeed) then you can apply some braking force with handbrake, otherwise you don't need it as you can steer with rudder. When you are landing, you anyways are either at high speed and can't use rudder first as you steer further, and if you need to roll further distance (end of the airstrip) your braking would apply to same direction as rudder so you would be maximizing turn. Instead when you apply slight brake first for both wheels and then differentiate it with pedals, you can make small corrections with wanted braking force.

3 minutes ago, Shmal said:

I found pretty good video of taxing the MiG-21 where you easy to see like MiG-21 starting to turn after using brakes only, making a nod first:

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Now in DCS you can turning at the very low taxi speed where rudder is defeinetely inefficient! 

You may easy to check it youself! 

It has authority on very low speed without using brakes! it IS TURNING NOW!

It cant do that! It is not the subject to discuss, sorry guys

It is a notification of the bug for the developers!

Edited by Shmal
  • Like 1

Мой канал YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGdfzT7-xbgvmPwmUcCNArQ?view_as=subscriber

1 minute ago, Shmal said:

Now in DCS you can turning at the very low taxi speed where rudder is defeinetely unefficient! 

You may easy to check it youself

I haven't flown MiG-21Bis for long time (maybe a year) and at least then it was not possible without considerable speed. Anyways I do use those two methods to do it right.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

OP is right, but the turn radius without brakes is so large that it's not an issue really. You can keep the aircraft on the taxiway centerline, which might be unrealistic at low taxi speeds, but you will not make any sharp turns on taxiway without using the brake. I can live with the current state, there are other issues more pressing. But yes, it's not realistic (at low taxi speeds). 

• Like 2

That was definitely added later on (i think with the canopy rework?), so i guess it was intentional, although its imo a bit of a weird change, because why would you do that.

• Like 1

Servus! :smilewink:

My DCS:World-Modules:

A-10C, UH-1H, F-86F, Fw-190D9, MiG-21bis, P-51D, Mi-8MTV2,Bf-109K4, MiG-15bis, L-39C, Hawk, NTTR, Mirage 2000C, SA342M Gazelle.

Wishlist:

P-40, F-104G/S, Saab J-35 Draken, A-1H Skyraider, Su-17/22M4. :music_whistling:

I remember the discussions about this back in the day, so went digging for thr threads:

It's a design decision, and it was much, much more pronounced at launch:

It was changed shortly after to what it is now (see the follow on replies):

Honestly, I'm not bothered if it stays or goes, literally just use it for tiny corrections at low taxi speed, and it's not like you don't have to use the proper brake steering for actually turning on the ground because of it.

Edited by Buzzles
  • Like 3

Imo it would be better though if you could just turn it on or off, like all the other unrealistic things like CCIP for example.

• Like 2

Servus! :smilewink:

My DCS:World-Modules:

A-10C, UH-1H, F-86F, Fw-190D9, MiG-21bis, P-51D, Mi-8MTV2,Bf-109K4, MiG-15bis, L-39C, Hawk, NTTR, Mirage 2000C, SA342M Gazelle.

Wishlist:

P-40, F-104G/S, Saab J-35 Draken, A-1H Skyraider, Su-17/22M4. :music_whistling:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

So, guys I'd like to add some material for those who still in doubt that MiG-21 in DCS has not to turn with rudder pedals while taxiing at low speeds!

Here is an opinion of the very experienced American test pilot about exactly this moment and he clearly said here that pilot starts to note the effectiveness of the vertical empennage of the MiG-21 from around 40 knots. It is like 74 km/h. 

Look at 20:48:

In the DCS our MiG-21bis turning with pedals with no air pressure breaking from much less speed I think like from 20 km/h it is possible to initiate the turn!

Edited by Shmal
  • Like 1