Learning How To Play DCS?

I'm new to DCS and I am in the process of learning how to use/play this flight sim. On the hardware side all is set, I have a PC that exceeds the recommended requirements to run the sim and I just picked up the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS bundle that includes joystick, throttle, and pedals. I'm ready to download the DCS sof 10.0.0.0.1 tware and begin the learning process to earn my wings. I see on the DCS website there are a number of DCS World, P-51, and A-10C PDF manuals so I wanted to ask fellow pilots how they learned how to fly in DCS. I glanced through some of the manuals and some of the PDF's have a huge number of pages! What is the best way to proceed to learn this sim please? There seems to be potentially a huge amount of information to absorb. Should I read the manuals first, run through the tutorial missions, etc? Thanks.

Edited by jakelyods58

4 minutes ago, jakelyods58 said:

I'm new to DCS ...  What is the best way to proceed to learn this sim please? 

Assuming that you are using only the free part of DCS and have not purchased any additional aircrafts yet, my advice would be to learn the free Su-25T ground attack aircraft. You could do the training missions of that aircraft ... keep a notepad nearby to take notes, particularly the key commands that are used at each step.

You can also watch a Tutorial on You Tube ... this one is old but I like the way Robert teaches the different subjects:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Welcome!

Tutorial Mission, the User Manual, Youtube videos (official channel or otherwise), user made guides, just getting in and doing it. These are all various methods people use to get started. I suggest you try all of them, and see what works.

19 minutes ago, jakelyods58 said:

I glanced through some of the manuals and some of the PDF's have a huge number of pages!

Seems nearly everybody gets overwhelmed by the size of the manuals.

Here's a video from the developer explaining the basics of the simulator.

Edited by randomTOTEN

56 minutes ago, jakelyods58 said:

I'm new to DCS 

Hi,

I would say learn how to take off and land first.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

I've been at this since September so I completely get what you're saying.  It can be overwhelming, but it is incredibly rewarding and worth every bit of effort you put into it.  Like rapid said, start with the basics and don't be in a rush--everyone wants to round down range, but take the time to learn good habits in the beginning.  Sounds simple enough to take off and land, but there's a right way and a wrong way to do it--learn it right from the beginning.  Learn formation flying--put together a simple free-flight mission with another AI jet and practice following it.  It will pay dividends later; especially when you're learning air-refueling.  Youtube is a fantastic resource to use and I've used it a ton.

Enjoy!

fly, crash, whatever, in the process of just fiddling around with it you'll start having questions, the forum and the manuals are only tools to get those questions answered.

im not a fan of getting lost in the whole 'formalized dcs learning' meme but i guess for some people its a form of roleplaying.

like im saying you can be serious ("i will make sure to keep trying to fly formation even though its frustratingly difficult") without going formal ("i can only practice formation after i learned the startup")

Edited by probad
  • Like 1