Winwing Orion Desktop F/A-18C HOTAS

rapid

7 hours ago, FZG_Immel said:

i have both. the orion beats the thrustmaster in almost everything, even though I am not a fan of the Orion IDLE/cutoff detent. Too easy to pass it by mistake.

Appreciate your input.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

On 4/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, rapid said:

Anyone made a proper comparison between the WartHog Base and the Orion Base?

Must be from someone who has had both.

I can't compare the sticks, as I recently ditched my WH stick base for a Virpil and will never look back.

As for the throttles, they feel equally well-made as far as overall quality, although the lack of removable afterburner detents and no fingerlifts/hard lockouts for the cutoff make the orion somewhat less friendly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gabesta said:

I can't compare the sticks, as I recently ditched my WH stick base for a Virpil and will never look back.

As for the throttles, they feel equally well-made as far as overall quality, although the lack of removable afterburner detents and no fingerlifts/hard lockouts for the cutoff make the orion somewhat less friendly.

Cheers for that.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

there is WAY less play, and wiggle in the orion Throttles than the WH. it feels MUCH stronger and well built.

only the detents I dont like

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Just received my Orion half an hour ago. I ordered an Orion, but only really wanted the throttle, a Super Libre base, and extension and a TM converter. Now fitted the converter and have the old Cougar stick on my Orion stick ready for my first go. The F18 stick is a lot lighter than a Warthog one. Noticeably so. My TM F18 stick never came out the box for various reasons and is on sale on Ebay right now, so I can't really unpack it to weigh it against the Winwing one, but I'd say it's 2/3 the mass roughly. I don't think the springs on this Orion are strong enough for the extension. Just a thought as it's about the same pull force as the Warthog, only smoother. You can tell it's running on bearings right away.

Too late in the year for me to set my rig up for Military flying, as it's practice time in the 737 next few weeks ready for my return to work.

Edited. TM Hornet is 837g, vs 428g for the Winwing F18 stick. Virtually half. Feel is almost identical and switches definitely feel better. Unlike the WH, I can free fly the A10 without having to rim out an inherent roll that always seems to be there in the Warthog. Luckily I kept back my F16 Cougar grip to use with hte WW adapter parts.

Edited by Marky146

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

I have the Warthog F/A-18 grip and have modified with an adapter to use it with the VKB Gunfighter base. I also have the Super Taurus/Super Libra combo because I couldn't buy the throttle separately at the time. I like several aspects of the WinWing Hornet grip over the TM version and could care less about the minor differences in weight and shape. But I didn't use the Super Libra for more than a week or two before putting my preferred VKB Gunfighter base back in service. So, I never encountered any problems with the switches failing or falling off that some people had with the Super Libra. I prefer the feel and functionality of the Super Libra over the TM Warthog, but still find the VKB is still far superior to the feel of the Super Libra. If I had upgraded to the Super Libra before buying a VKB, I probably would have never bought the VKB. If I could get an adapter to use the Super Libra grip on the VKB, I would prefer that grip over the TM Hornet grip. But as it stands now, when I want a Hornet grip, I swap out my MCG Ultimate for the TM Hornet grip with the VKB adapter as well as having the TM Warthog grip available for flying the A-10C and F-16C. I am very spoiled with all of my stick and grip options available, frequently swapping between the MCG Ultimate, F-14, and TM Hornet.

I understand that I should be able to adjust the Super Libra to feel a little better and be more comparable to the feel of the VKB. But when I had it open, I didn't see any adjustments that would have reduced or eliminated the feeling and sound of shifting cams as the grip is moved across the center. But given all the grip options I have for the VKB Gunfighter, the Super Libra would have to not only equal, but somehow be significantly superior to make me give up the Gunfighter Mk II (with full Mk III upgrades) and all of the grip options I have available for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2021 at 6:34 PM, Josh3945 said:

I was talking to Winwing about an issue I was having with the panels and I slipped in a question about the F16 grip and they told me they’re still not sure if they’re going to release it as a kit or if they’re going to make a whole new full version of it. 

It would be very very unwise for them not to make it a kit, cause lots of people that have f-18 Orion throttle, if they want F-16 version, would buy the extension for the f-16 throttle, cause why not,

but if you want to have both F-16 and F-18 throttle and you have to buy 2 Orion throttles then you probably wont buy.

Thats why Thrustmaster made interchangeable sticks and one base for them

Edited by Furiz

On 4/14/2021 at 7:52 PM, streakeagle said:

I have the Warthog F/A-18 grip and have modified with an adapter to use it with the VKB Gunfighter base.

Yes! Me also. Just the finest combination there is IMHO!  Will never go to anything else. The throttle, I still cannot make up my mind. Looking at Super Taurus and Orion. The Orion will certainly fit my TM WH throttle base, but sofar, the issue is up in the air with the reports of the detents coming in and I'm a bit concerned about quality control coming out of WW.

• 4 months later...
Hi  and sorry for my english   

I want to buy  Orion HOTAS F-18 (  joystick  ,   Throttle )

My cousin wants to buy  and bring it to to me by himself  (  by plane )   would u  plz  someone   tell me  what is the   *****  weight  and  dimension   ****of the complete of  this package ? 

Thanks

On 3/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, unlikely_spider said:

It says on the website that extensions are not recommended for the Orion.

Also the throttle looks nice and I was considering it until I saw in a video that the afterburner detents are not removable? I fly a lot of planes with no AB so this may be a deal breaker for me.

The detents are not that pronounced I have pushed right through them when I have the tension turned down.  They are not solid hard detents. Just notches in the arm.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 12:09 PM, shahin_sky said:
Hi  and sorry for my english   

I want to buy  Orion HOTAS F-18 (  joystick  ,   Throttle )

My cousin wants to buy  and bring it to to me by himself  (  by plane )   would u  plz  someone   tell me  what is the   *****  weight  and  dimension   ****of the complete of  this package ? 

Thanks

It's light enough to put into a carry on, I've taken mine to and from my work place in the Middle East back to Thailand in my laptop bag, didn't even need to take the throttle handles off, it sat nicely on the bottom of the bag, my laptop battery weighs about the same as the Throttle base.. this way I know it's never going to be in "lost luggage" it's about a 1/10th of the weight of the TM warthog.

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

• 1 month later...

reckon im gonna order one....

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor
MSI MPG X570s Edge Max Wifi Motherboard
XFX Speedster Qick 319 RX 6700 XT Black (RX-67XTYPBDP)
Bykski Full GPU Water Block / Backplate AMD Radeon RX6700XT
Lian Li PC-O11DX Dynamic ATX Mid Tower
Corsair Hydro X Series XC7 RGB CPU Water Block
Corsair Hydro X Series XD7 RGB Pump/Reservoir
EK CoolStream Classic SE 360 x2
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB 4 x 16 GB
Corsair LL120 RGB LED 120mm Fan x12 (9 Rad 3 Case)
Corsair Commander PRO Speed Controller
Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit
Corsair Lighting Node PRO
Corsair Six (6) Port RGB LED Fan Hub x2
Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless Premium Gaming Headset 7.1
Corsair K95 RGB Platinum XT Keyboard  CHERRY® MX Speed 
Corsair MM1000 Qi Wireless Charging Mouse Pad
Corsair Gaming ST100 RGB Premium Headset Stand  7.1 
Corsair IRONCLAW RGB Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 2280 SSD
Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVMe PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 2280 SSD
Crucial P3 4TB NVMe PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 2280 SSD