Are there plans to include wave foam on the coastline?

Bigounet

After the clouds, I think it is an essential graphic addition for the insertion.

@Eagle Dynamics Are there plans to include wave foam on the coastline?

THX and good continuation.

Edited by Bigounet
  • Like 4

AMD 7800X3D  |  Asus ROG Strix B650E-E |NVMe Crucial 2To | DDR5 Gskill 32Go 6000MHz |

RTX 4090 FE | Quest 3 |

More to that point I think the coastline texture needs a bit of a rework, with the updated transparency of the water it seems any shallow body including the ocean looks brown rather than blue. 

• Like 3

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

+1

And agreed about the coastlines, I think there's still some work to be done on tweaking the transparency. I noticed on Syria yesterday, it not only looked brown, it didn't look like any water was there, making small craft that are around the coast look very odd. 

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 8:22 AM, shu77 said:

More to that point I think the coastline texture needs a bit of a rework, with the updated transparency of the water it seems any shallow body including the ocean looks brown rather than blue. 

Actually,like in real life color depends on the refraction of light. This is modeled in the transparent water effects so it is changing dynamically from dark blue, turquoise to greenish, brownish depending on angle lighting and wind/waves... you can see these effects on the Channel, Syria and partly on the Persian Gulf map already.

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

8 hours ago, shagrat said:

Actually,like in real life color depends on the refraction of light. This is modeled in the transparent water effects so it is changing dynamically from dark blue, turquoise to greenish, brownish depending on angle lighting and wind/waves... you can see these effects on the Channel, Syria and partly on the Persian Gulf map already.

I don't dislike the effect and having spent a bunch of time flying drones over the ocean recently I agree there is a lot more transparency in the costal water that you imagine, but at the same time, the map currently tends to go uber clear on certain angles, this was really obvious in one of the recent Syria videos where all the marinas seemed to be transparent, maybe its a water depth thing, but as much as I like the effect Im not sure its quite right near the coast.   

• Like 2

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

6 hours ago, shu77 said:

the map currently tends to go uber clear on certain angles, this was really obvious in one of the recent Syria videos where all the marinas seemed to be transparent, maybe its a water depth thing, but as much as I like the effect Im not sure its quite right near the coast. 

Yep, it looked weird, like in a glass of water, boats floating in the air. But it's rather hard to implement yet another factor such as water cleanness in different places. Marinas are never as clean. Even when you make a dark depth the white boards of boats will stick out.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

In order to give a realistic appearance, waves should not only be breaking at the shore, but mostly (when there) along the reef.

Like in this picture (reef close to the beach) - Saipan.

Spoiler

saipan_97441-1400x1050.jpg

Or here (Saipan?):

Spoiler

marianas-resort.jpg

Or on Guam:

Spoiler

tumonbay_aerial_li_7a43935b-4f8a-43bf-83

The colour of the shallow water portions to a very high degree is dependant of the colour of the sand beneath. If you have bright sand-colours (like on many tropical beaches, which is mostly parrotfish-poo), the shallow water will be turqoise.

Edited by Bremspropeller

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

2 hours ago, draconus said:

Yep, it looked weird, like in a glass of water, boats floating in the air. But it's rather hard to implement yet another factor such as water cleanness in different places. Marinas are never as clean. Even when you make a dark depth the white boards of boats will stick out.

I think the ocean floor texture needs a filter myself. if it was a blueish/greenish color rather than brown it would help with the problem when the water angle goes clear. 

cw1.png

11 hours ago, shu77 said:

I don't dislike the effect and having spent a bunch of time flying drones over the ocean recently I agree there is a lot more transparency in the costal water that you imagine, but at the same time, the map currently tends to go uber clear on certain angles, this was really obvious in one of the recent Syria videos where all the marinas seemed to be transparent, maybe its a water depth thing, but as much as I like the effect Im not sure its quite right near the coast.   

I think it's more related to the missing/extremely calm  wind in many DCS missions... In addition there seems to be no sediment in the water, that you have a lot especially near harbors, river deltas and turbulent coasts. 

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

10 hours ago, shagrat said:

I think it's more related to the missing/extremely calm  wind in many DCS missions... In addition there seems to be no sediment in the water, that you have a lot especially near harbors, river deltas and turbulent coasts. 

I notice in the last Guam screenshots this has been addressed around the harbour, any idea if that was just the angle of the screenshot or is the map doing something new? 

cw1.png

11 hours ago, shu77 said:

I notice in the last Guam screenshots this has been addressed around the harbour, any idea if that was just the angle of the screenshot or is the map doing something new? 

No idea, honestly. From what I read in the newsletters etc. the last major update to the water/lighting came with 2.7.x. The current Channel and Syria map should use the same effects/features so unless ED introduces something new with Marianas it should look similar to Channel and Syria.

The angle and sun position definitely has a lot of impact on the transparency and coloring of the water. That's why I don't read too much into screenshots at the moment... If we see videos from low aspect over water and with changing angles it will show how it looks in game while actually flying.

Shagrat

4 minutes ago, shagrat said:

No idea, honestly. From what I read in the newsletters etc. the last major update to the water/lighting came with 2.7.x. The current Channel and Syria map should use the same effects/features so unless ED introduces something new with Marianas it should look similar to Channel and Syria.

The angle and sun position definitely has a lot of impact on the transparency and coloring of the water. That's why I don't read too much into screenshots at the moment... If we see videos from low aspect over water and with changing angles it will show how it looks in game while actually flying.

They did say (I'll try to dig it up), that the Marianas map was to trial/use the latest terrain technology, and presumably the Marianas will be the first map to use said technology.

No idea what this technology will bring, but maybe improved water effects is part of that?

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

They did say (I'll try to dig it up), that the Marianas map was to trial/use the latest terrain technology, and presumably the Marianas will be the first map to use said technology.

No idea what this technology will bring, but maybe improved water effects is part of that?

Not sure, but it looked to be more on the side of bump mapping terrain detail (cracks and stone pebbles etc.). We need to see. What I know for sure is that Syria and Channel had the new transparent water that changes color and reflection by angle and lighting,with depth and seabottom, sand being modeled.

• Like 1

Shagrat

Just now, shagrat said:

Not sure, but it looked to be more on the side of bump mapping terrain detail (cracks and stone pebbles etc.). We need to see. What I know for sure is that Syria and Channel had the new transparent water that changes color and reflection by angle and lighting,with depth and seabottom, sand being modeled.

I agree Syria now shows negative values for the sea bed. fr me the issue is the interaction that happens at -30 and less when the angle is wrong.  we either reed a manual override or a work around for that depth

cw1.png