MYSE's somewhat accurate QFE calculator

MYSE1234

Ever had the need to calculate the QFE of a target quickly?

This is my somewhat accurate (more accurate than others that I've used) QFE calculator. This tool will make more accurate calculations compared to others, as it uses data from DCS for the calculations.

Basically you have 3 parameters to change: temperature, QNH and the altitude of the target, or whatever it might be you want to know the QFE at.

If you want a copy, just click "File" and then "copy". Or just change the number directly.

Google sheets doc

29-04-2021 - made to work with both hPa and mmHg as input.
17-05-2021 - now works with inHg

Edited by MYSE1234
  • Like 4

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |

Or for in-flight ballparking:

Elevation difference between takeoff and target divided by 30, subtract from takeoff QFE.

E.g.

Takeoff elevation: 251 feet

Takeoff QFE: 1004.3

Target elevation: 1187 feet

So those numbers roughly even out to 1190 and 250 which gives us

New QFE = 1004.3 - 940/30 = 1004.3 - 31 and a third = roughy 973

Close enough for accurate release.

Ofc, if your target is below airfield QFE, you add them instead.

Edited by Noctrach
  • Like 1

I always love homemade tools for this kind of stuff.  The other week I made one to estimate the drag on the F-16.

Did you guys know that if you make waypoints with the F10 map and load the cartridge, it populates the QFE values for all your waypoints in the kneeboard?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

If the mission happens to start in-flight and the target is a ship at sea-level, will the QFE be zero?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

No, it will be whatever the QNH is (the air pressure at sea level), standard value for it is 1013,25 hPa (or 760 mmHg if you prefer that 🤮).
You can see what it is in the briefing screen before clicking "FLY", or if you got it in the mission editor it's in the weather settings.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, widen76 said:

This could really come in handy! Nice work and thanks for sharing!

Thank you. Glad I can contribute to the community in some small way.

There is more coming... This is just a very small part of something I'm working on.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]