More natural terrain colors of Cyprus and Syria map near the coast

I would like you to ask devs, to create more natural, green colors, not using that much of brown/orange like its all burned out.

I would like you to use colors of the terrain in spring, it will be ways better for our eyes 🙂

Take a look at these pics, taken from March this year.

cyprus1.jpg

cyprus2.jpg

PS: If you maybe need any help with textures, please let me know. I am a modder my self, I do racing track for PC racing sims. You just have to tell me whats your approach to creating landscape textures.

Edited by mitja_bonca
  • Like 3

FWIW, I was really impressed with the colors Mariana screenshot in today's newsletter.  I wonder what, if anything can be worked into existing or WIP maps like we see below.

image.png

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 2

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

This has always been a problem with DCS maps - while they might be fairly high resolution and detail, they don't look natural - hopefully the Marianas will change that somewhat.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2021 at 10:05 AM, Northstar98 said:

while they might be fairly high resolution and detail

Are we playing the same game? 😄 

I think it's one of the biggest issues with dcs. Compared to MSFS or Star Citizen which even cover entire planets the detail is much higher in those games.
I really hope there will be a substantial upgrade soon - given the quality of the clouds I am optimistic the ED can figure sth out

2 hours ago, GEIST said:

Are we playing the same game? 😄 

I think it's one of the biggest issues with dcs. Compared to MSFS or Star Citizen which even cover entire planets the detail is much higher in those games.

I can't say anything about the space sim (which I would assume is procedurally generated - and not trying to recreate a real location), but in the other flight sim, the detail and resolution is inferior to new DCS maps - that doesn't mean it looks worse, they're just lower resolution (which is only noticeable at low altitudes), IMO it looks a fair bit better because they're much more accurate, especially with the textures.

The difference is quite clear as soon as you get low. Watch this and you'll see what I mean (if you can stomach the language).

DCS textures however are essentially generic, and the areas it depicts are less accurate compared to real life, unfortunately these 2 make DCS terrains look a fair bit worse overall IMO.

The textures in that other sim are photo-realistic, which goes a long way into making it look more realistic compared to DCS, even if it's actually less detailed/lower resolution than DCS maps. Then there's other stuff like the improved lighting and atmospheric stuff in that other sim - which definitely does some enhancing.

Obviously the Caucasus map is an exception here - but that map was a 2018 facelift (and mostly concerning the mesh) of a map that is basically 20 years old.

I really hope there will be a substantial upgrade soon - given the quality of the clouds I am optimistic the ED can figure sth out

I wouldn't count on it, but soon we'll have the Marianas map which looks to be the most detailed and accurate DCS map going - it's also supposed to be trialling some new terrain technology.

Unfortunately the other main gripe I have with DCS maps is that they're all modelled as if the Earth is flat, obviously coming with its own set of issues.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F-4E, Mi-24P, AJS 37, AV-8B N/A, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.