1st mission runs great, 2nd mission either has poor performance or crashes

Bog9y

Hi guys,

I have spent the last few days trying to optimise my settings and I am at a point where I have found a nice balance between image quality and performance. 

The one strange thing I have which is quite pronounced now (it wasn't as much before) is that my first mission from a fresh game start runs really nicely, including missions in Syria or super carrier. When I exit that mission and load another one the performance is a lot worse. FPS drops to 30-ish and frame time up to 30-40 Ms.   

Any idea what may be causing this or what setting regulates this? I thought it was the shader cache in the Nvidia control panel but after changing that it's not the cause of it.  Any ideas?

EDIT TO ADD my specs: Ryzen 5900X / 2080 Super / 32 gb 3600 CL16 ram / SSD drive / Reverb G1 . Fresh windows install 20H2 with all the updates/latest Nvidia drivers. 

Edited by Bog9y

13 minutes ago, Bog9y said:

Hi guys,

I have spent the last few days trying to optimise my settings and I am at a point where I have found a nice balance between image quality and performance. 

The one strange thing I have which is quite pronounced now (it wasn't as much before) is that my first mission from a fresh game start runs really nicely, including missions in Syria or super carrier. When I exit that mission and load another one the performance is a lot worse. FPS drops to 30-ish and frame time up to 30-40 Ms.   

Any idea what may be causing this or what setting regulates this? I thought it was the shader cache in the Nvidia control panel but after changing that it's not the cause of it.  Any ideas?

Sounds like something is not clearing down VRAM after the mission. Do you have FPSVR installed, that would tell you pretty quickly.

I used to get that same issue on my old rig and I think I resolved it by turning off the cliff house in SteamVR (so you just get the native SteamVR construct when you launch SteamVR). No idea why it worked but might be worth a try.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

1 hour ago, ShaunX said:

Sounds like something is not clearing down VRAM after the mission. Do you have FPSVR installed, that would tell you pretty quickly.

I used to get that same issue on my old rig and I think I resolved it by turning off the cliff house in SteamVR (so you just get the native SteamVR construct when you launch SteamVR). No idea why it worked but might be worth a try.

I did buy FPSVR but haven't installed it yet.  How do you turn off cliffhouse? Didn't think that was possible. 

EDIT TO ADD my specs: Ryzen 5900X / 2080 Super / 32 gb 3600 CL16 ram / SSD drive / Reverb G1 . Fresh windows install 20H2 with all the updates/latest Nvidia drivers. 

Edited by Bog9y

I have the same thing...  It's been that way for a while now but two things have changed... 

It used to stop after maybe 30 seconds after a mission.

It wasn't as pronounced before.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

6 hours ago, Bog9y said:

I did buy FPSVR but haven't installed it yet.  How do you turn off cliffhouse? Didn't think that was possible. 

It's in SteamVR general settings, set SteamVR Home off

image.png

• Thanks 2

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

Ok, found it, thanks. So does that mean you don't start WMR at all before you click to start DCS? My sequence after Windows bootup is :

1) Ryzen Master - On , set GAME MODE - AUTO PBO

2) WMR - start 

3) STEAM - DCS - PLAY (which in turn starts SteamVR). 

WTF is Ryzen master??

Looked it up...

WTF?  Why didn't I know about that?

Installing when I get home.  Does it only work on AMD brand motherboard or any AMD chipset?

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

17 hours ago, Bog9y said:

Hi guys,

So, I think you have the same problem many of us are having.  Out of curiosity, does your SteamVR crash with a blue screen in your Reverb?  Can you check the Event Viewer for SteamVR related crashes?  VRCompositor.exe is a common fault on my machine, I can play ONE mission, but if I try and load another, or respawn in multiplayer, the game will crash.  If I play for a while and hit F-10 or Rearm/Refuel, it will crash.  This has been a bane of my machine effectively since about a week or two after 2.7 came out.  Only been able to reliably play in TrackIR which SUCKS compared to VR.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

12 hours ago, M1Combat said:

WTF is Ryzen master??

Looked it up...

WTF?  Why didn't I know about that?

Installing when I get home.  Does it only work on AMD brand motherboard or any AMD chipset?

No idea, I'm not an expert but it worked for my 3600 cpu and now for my 5900x. 

5 hours ago, Whiskey11 said:

So, I think you have the same problem many of us are having.  Out of curiosity, does your SteamVR crash with a blue screen in your Reverb?  Can you check the Event Viewer for SteamVR related crashes?  VRCompositor.exe is a common fault on my machine, I can play ONE mission, but if I try and load another, or respawn in multiplayer, the game will crash.  If I play for a while and hit F-10 or Rearm/Refuel, it will crash.  This has been a bane of my machine effectively since about a week or two after 2.7 came out.  Only been able to reliably play in TrackIR which SUCKS compared to VR.

Well, I managed to fix the 2nd mission loading crashes by removing the OC on my GPU.  Still, 2nd mission runs crappy with high frame times. I'm about to test if Flappie's tip works. He says, when you finish the 1st mission go into settings and just click OK, then load 2nd mission. For some people this prevents the crash. I'm gonna see if it makes the sim run smoother.