Will 2.7 Break All Mods?

Hi All,

I really enjoy flying the modded aircraft based on FC3, such as those created by the VSN folks. The FC3 planes are fun and relatively simple, and you don't have to sell your kidney to figure out how to fly them. They also have great variety.

Anyway, will 2.7 break all of the modded aircraft we currently enjoy? Is this just a ploy to get us to buy more official modules (all, like, seven of them or whatever)? 

I know that the flight sim community is relatively small, but I find that most of my friends are open to FC3-style planes and not so much the button simulator 2021 modules. This is the sort of thing that keeps a strong player base.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Some will work, some may not for reasons I’m not party to. My guess is those that don’t just require updating by the mod originators in order to work in the 2.7xxx environment.

And it’s no conspiracy to get you to buy anything. 
Likely it’s just a mod that no longer works has been abandoned by the creator for any reason, like maybe moving on to other things, lack of interest, no longer part of DCS - moved to another sim? -, it could be any one of a thousand reasons.

The FC3 types are seemingly aircraft to give you a flavour, and of the type that should be enjoyable to those who don’t need or want to go into great depth to fly, like some of the more recent high spec modules.

There are mods that cater to the FC3 brigade, you just need to keep an eye on the mod section.

There is no right or wrong in DCS, should you wish to really learn a certain type - they are there, and in most cases modelled really well, both in look and function, as well as employment and procedure.

Should you require a lighter, more fun way in - there are those that provide here too.

Make DCS what YOU want . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

7 hours ago, sublimeswell said:

Anyway, will 2.7 break all of the modded aircraft we currently enjoy? Is this just a ploy to get us to buy more official modules (all, like, seven of them or whatever)?

The "mod" word comes from "modifications". It means a mod is created by:

• altering the original game files,
  • adding new files,
  • and even sometimes deleting files.

It means a mod cannot exist without the game.

It means when the game changes, the modders have to alter their mod files once again - not the other way around.

• Like 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Thanks, GJS. Yeah, my friends and I don't really enjoy the high fidelity modules. We're not trying to become real pilots (and if we were, we would just take flying lessons or join the military), and aren't interested in spending 20 minutes on the ground, clicking buttons in the cockpit, only to get knocked out by the first SAM and then have to spend 20 minutes doing it all over again. The FC3 planes are realistic enough for us.

In any case, I'll be hosting a server for the VSN mods soon. I'm sure it'll be great fun. DCS World is still better than say, flying in Arma 3 or War Thunder. Even the FC3 planes have a much different feeling than their equivalents in other venues.

Edited by sublimeswell

9 minutes ago, sublimeswell said:

and aren't interested in spending 20 minutes on the ground, clicking buttons in the cockpit, only to get knocked out by the first SAM and then have to spend 20 minutes doing it all over again.

Never heard of Auto-Start? It works in high fidelity to you know. Works in MP too if that is set to cold and dark. And if the cold and dark start is not activated everything is running when you jump in the pit (or almost everything, you still have to connect your water bottle).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I am DISSAPOIMENT! alot Eagle Dynamic with you , I have windonw seven, because I from Sur America, here is very dificul change to hi Pc, now try to still change very slow process, all componente price is very extreme hi, the covid screw up everything, now I want the Apache, I cant buy it  because YOU!!!!!

FC3, Persian Gulf , Super Carrier, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper,  AV-8B Harrier, Mirage 2000, A-10C, A-10C II Tank Killer

Edited by Alf.Snake

12 minutes ago, Alf.Snake said:

I am DISSAPOIMENT! alot Eagle Dynamic with you , I have windonw seven, because I from Sur America, here is very dificul change to hi Pc, now try to still change very slow process, all componente price is very extreme hi, the covid screw up everything, now I want the Apache, I cant buy it  because YOU!!!!!

FC3, Persian Gulf , Super Carrier, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper,  AV-8B Harrier, Mirage 2000, A-10C, A-10C II Tank Killer

So ED should stay on Win7 and the rest of the world should use a no longer supported operating system??? :wallbash:

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

2 hours ago, Alf.Snake said:

Mate, Windows 10 was free for a whole year, and we're talking about 2015 (6 years ago). It would be about time to adopt it.

And if your PC withstands Windows 7, it will withstand Windows 10. No need to change your PC.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

you not understand man, my PC is a  AMD 4 nucleos, video 2gb, 16 ram, for me windows 10 to many trouble now, just I need to change my PC, chage  still on progress, I am still DISSAPOIMENT! alot Eagle Dynamic

Edited by Alf.Snake