Don't buy the G2

franx

9 hours ago, AlpineGTA said:

suddenly it just stopped working mid DCS flight. I haven't updated Windows, drivers or anything. It went from working to crashing and not working in an instant - just like that!

there is a pinch point in the cable next to where it plugs into the headset. pushing the visor up or certain head motions can cause cable pinching depending on how you have run the cable. poor design? yes. Don't buy the G2? that may be a stretch. I had frequent problems (usually when putting it on/taking it off or in the middle of a energetic dogfight) until I realized that my cable was getting pinched. After making a slight modification to how I route the cable the problems stopped. See this thread for photos of where the cable gets stressed: HP Reverb G2 Support: Trust me on this one. - Virtual Reality - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

edit: by the way, I now run my cable UNDER the left side strap and over the speaker (so that it doesn't get pinched when the visor is rotated/angled up)

Edited by prccowboy

I haven't had any issues with my G2 cable, except for the cheesy little clip on the back of the headstrap.  That broke about the 4th time I used it.  Not a big deal though, I just put a ty-rap on it in that spot and it has been fine ever since.  I guess I also take my G2 off a little differently than some.  I just slide the whole thing straight up and off my head without pushing just the visor up.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I'm afraid I share the experience. I loved the G1 (upgraded from Vive Pro). Looking at the struggles with AMD and G2, I would not recommend G2 to anybody on an AMD platform. Half a year after I got it, it still has.. issues. G1 was better (in terms of quality of service), Vive Pro was better as well.

VR, i9, Winwing, TM and VKB.

2, 4, ban, ban, 2

I currently have Steam VR set for the G2s default resolution (on my rig) of 126%, and DCS PD is set to 0.7.  My previous settings of 60% SteamVR and 1.0 DCS PD also worked well, but I think my current settings look better.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

So how is 126% related to your rig. Cause what I’m confused about is how the g2 is basically a 4k screen chopped two halves. But somehow setting dcs to a 4k res doesn’t seem to be the norm.

Btw. I am playing on an i7 10700 rtx 3090. So I should be able to handle reasonable resolutions.

But I’m confused because all the different settings seem to impact not only clarity but equally the sweet spot - which is quite narrow on the g2, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, longuich said:

So how is 126% related to your rig. Cause what I’m confused about is how the g2 is basically a 4k screen chopped two halves. 

It has been my experience so far that default resolution in SteamVR is different from one user to the next.  I'm not sure what factors make it one thing for one guy and something else for the next, but I'm assuming it has something to do with different hardware.

My settings work well for me, but your mileage may vary.  You can use those as a baseline and go from there with some experimentation.  One thing I like to tell people when they're just starting out with tweaking their VR settings is to NOT use an FPS counter.  The reason I say that is because people tend to get a number in their head and then spend a lot of time chasing a dragon they can never catch, and they get discouraged by that without really ever having looked out the window.  Its much better, IMHO, to start off just tweaking until you get something that looks good to you.  After you do that, then you can choose whether or not you want to chase the FPS/frame time dragon by playing around with more advanced settings.

I am happy for those who've had good luck with their G2. I'm going to have to agree with franx though. This has been a nightmare from the start. The Rift S worked when I plugged it in.

I don't have the same MB/CPU as franx but still have lots of issues. Due to the power cord error, HP has replaced the headset twice even though I knew that wasn't the problem. I have to unplug the cord the headset at least four times to get WMR to say "Ready".

Haven't played DCS in a couple months and now DCS won't play in the G2. It shows up on my main monitor. I love the graphics in DCS when it works but I spend more time trying to get it working than flying. 

Edited by Animal451

ASUS Strix Z370-E, i7 8700k @ 5 GHz, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 MHz, Corsair H100i, WD 1TB SSD

9 hours ago, longuich said:

That certainly makes sense. Experience supersedes digits. But I’m looking fir a starting point. So what is the resolution in your dcs settings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The resolution in your DCS settings isn't relevant to VR, so you can leave that as-is.  It won't have an effect on what you see in your HMD, nor will it affect performance significantly.  But, I have mine set to the lowest possible setting, since I never play DCS on the pancake screen anymore.  The VR pixel density setting has the biggest impact on clarity and performance.  You also should have SteamVR for WMR Motion Reprojection turned on.  You'll need to bring up the SteamVR dashboard with the button that has the 3 parallel lines on it on the controller once SteamVR starts.  When that comes up in your HMD, select the WMR button (the one with the little smiley face with goggles) and then select the "Graphics" (I think?) button on the left.  Now you'll see Motion Reprojection displayed on the right, and it will probably have "Off" selected.  You will have two other choices which turn it on, Auto and Motion Vector.  "Auto" turns reprojection on only when FPS drops below 90 FPS, "Motion Vector" forces reprojection to run all the time.  Personally, I prefer to have it set to Motion Vector, as I have found that the switching action of the Auto setting causes little micro-stutters when it turns on and off.  

Other than that, the main DCS graphics settings that have the biggest impact on performance are going to be "shadows" (which I have set to Off as I don't spend much time marveling at shadows),  "cockpit displays" (which I have set to 256 and found it really only affects the image in your mirrors, which I also don't spend much time looking at on ground attack missions), and "MSAA" (which I have set to 4X since I like to keep jaggies and shimmering to a minimum).

Once you get the basics set up, just make small changes, one at a time, to get acceptable results to your eyes.  The quickest way to see if your settings are too high for your machine is to sit in the cockpit and look at the instrument panel.  Then, move your head side-to-side, laterally, and see if the instruments get smeared.  If they get smeared and jittery when you do that, the last change you made to your settings is too high and pushing your rig beyond what it can keep up with in DCS.  

Edited by eaglecash867

• 8 months later...

Fellas, I'm the guy who started this sad thread nearly a year ago.  In frustration, I kept but mothballed my G2, and then my work interrupted any VR attempts in the interim until now.  Recall that I have an AMD 570 board, 6800XT card, and 32 gigs RAM.  So 10 days ago I decided to take another run at using my G2.  I know the workarounds to get it functioning in an AMD environment, and it looks great playing various games.  But it will not play nice with standalone DCS -- and I've spent somewhere north of 60 or 70 hours since I bought it crawling through Reddit, watching videos, etc. hoping to get it to work.  WMR is a real disappointment and nothing but hassles.  I know others have had a happier experience, and I'm glad for them.  But short of taking my G2 to Lourdes for a miracle cure, I've concluded that nothing will work.  I want to actually enjoy a headset and not constantly rage at it.

Last week I bought an Oculus Quest 2, and despite one initial hiccup, it's been flawless and very easy to use.  With the graphics properly tuned and tweaked (thank you, YouTube), resolution is excellent and DCS play is very smooth.  So I'm sticking with the Quest 2.  

Edited by franx

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

49 minutes ago, franx said:

Fellas, I'm the guy who started this sad thread nearly a year ago.  In frustration, I kept but mothballed my G2, and then my work interrupted any VR attempts in the interim until now.  Recall that I have an AMD 570 board, 6800XT card, and 32 gigs RAM.  So 10 days ago I decided to take another run at using my G2.  I know the workarounds to get it functioning in an AMD environment, and it looks great playing various games.  But it will not play nice with standalone DCS -- and I've spent somewhere north of 60 or 70 hours since I bought it crawling through Reddit, watching videos, etc. hoping to get it to work.  WMR is a real disappointment and nothing but hassles.  I know others have had a happier experience, and I'm glad for them.  But short of taking my G2 to Lourdes for a miracle cure, I've concluded that nothing will work.  I want to actually enjoy a headset and not constantly rage at it.

Last week I bought an Oculus Quest 2, and despite one initial hiccup, it's been flawless and very easy to use.  With the graphics properly tuned and tweaked (thank you, YouTube), resolution is excellent and DCS play is very smooth.  So I'm sticking with the Quest 2.  

:thumbup:

Whatever works best for you is the most important thing.

Have fun!!

• Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I’m not reading all the replies. But, I have absolutely no issues with the G2- SteamVR beta- WMR and dsc/vr performance what so ever. 

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Another puzzling thought is why isn’t internet connection/speed / download and upload performance ever mention when people are getting shimmering affect with VR performance?

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Another puzzling thought is why isn’t internet connection/speed / download and upload performance ever mention when people are getting shimmering affect with VR performance?

Foooooor the same reason no one mentions what kind of keyboard they are using, or the breed and colour of their cat

It's irrelevant

Maps in DCS are offline resources that are stored directly on your spinning rust drive or NVME. You can even tick a box and play DCS whilst not connected to the internet at all

P.S. We have a hangar cat. He is Black. We call him McFluffin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

Foooooor the same reason no one mentions what kind of keyboard they are using, or the breed and colour of their cat

It's irrelevant

Maps in DCS are offline resources that are stored directly on your spinning rust drive or NVME. You can even tick a box and play DCS whilst not connected to the internet at all

P.S. We have a hangar cat. He is Black. We call him McFluffin

Haha ! Got it

Start Date April 2020 

I think I had good timing -- about the time I got in was about the time all the drivers started working.   That said, I'm pretty sure if I didn't touch anything -- if I just plugged the thing in and let it set itself up -- it would have worked right out the box, and not much worse than it's working now.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 3 weeks later...

So...i'm sure it has been mentioned but HP was providing a new cable for those with the x570 boards for all the issues we were having.  I have to say, it definitely helps, no longer do you need a PCI-e USB card.  With this new cable it even allows me to use my G2 with the USB-C port that never used to work. For whatever my two centavos are worth..